Recent movies seen - Page 186 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #3701
J.H
Frak.

I watched Elf today as I did last Christmas, decent film and my little girl seemed to enjoy it as well. "Santa's coming! Ohhh my God!!" is one of the funniest moments lol.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #3702
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
I agree that the political and environmental themes were necessary for the plot and I had no problems with them but it was all those throwaway remarks and as I say, platitudes that really snapped me out of the mythology.
Heh. One of my group said almost the same thing and I replied "that's what happens when the director doesn't hire a proper screen-writer" (cue George Lucas).
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #3703
Stalker of Britain

I just saw the new "Sherlock Holmes" movie. I'm a big fan of Holmes-currently reading through the stories, I'm in love with the Granada Jeremy Brett version, and although I really wanted to see this, I was scared it would butcher the beloved myth.

It was an AWESOME movie!!! There were so many little inside jokes that only people who know the Holmes stories well would get. Not funny jokes, just things that would have fans nodding their heads at the small details they put in. The story was good, and it stuck to the Holmes way-even though it may look supernatural, there's always a scientific explanation.

Jude Law was a perfect Watson, and I really loved his battle with Holmes to help him or to let it go and go with Mary. It was so sweet, the pair of them; I loved t. My favorite thing about the Holmes stories is their relationship. Robert Downy Jr was good as Holmes. I didn't think I'd like him, but he was pretty good.

There were about 3 discrepiences with the stories that made me cringe-first off; Sherlock Holmes never had any type of romantical relationship with Irene Adler. He admired her, sure, but his distaste for women did not come off well, and they were NEVER together like that. Just Hollywood trying to put romance in it. Another was no matter how much Holmes pushs, Watson would never outright hit him. And the third was Holmes fighting. Yes, he's a very good fighter, but he would never do it professionally for money in front of people. *shakes head*

But other than that, it was really good! No mention of his cocaine habit, but that's alright. The interaction of Holmes and Watson was spot on!!! I saw it today with my sister-in-law, and I'm going to see it tomorrow with my best friend as my birthday present!!

It's AMAZING!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #3704
J.H
Frak.

That's great! I wanted to see Sherlock Holmes but it got 1 star in a review I read in the paper so decided against it. Now I will be sure to go and view it.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #3705
handsome

A Dirty Carnival
Trailer

Nice movie with a great ending, that Jo In-Seong guy was awesome.
Name:  adirtycarnival1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  24.0 KB
cant get better than this

EDIT: Seems Hollywood also wants to do a english remake of this one great
Old 12-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #3706
Stalker of Britain

Someone gave "Sherlock Holmes" 1 star?!?!?! Do you have a link, so I can see their criticisms?
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #3707
handsome

Nobody Knows
Loved the acting, the locations, the mood... but by the end, it just didn't work for me.
___

I just saw the trailer for Katare Kid (the remake) and oh my god xD i mean Jackie IS the man but that was so lame (and eeeew to Fort Minor) the last part was funny though.

Now let me just watch Kick-Ass 'Hit Girl' trailer again
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #3708
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I planned to see Avatar today, but that didn't work out. I was going to go on my own to a good theater that was showing it in 3D in Jerusalem, but then I found out my father wanted to see it too so I waited for him to come home. He wanted to go to a theater which wasn't as good but was closer, so that's where we went. We got there, asked for two tickets to Avatar, and were told "There's no Avatar. There's a malfunction.". So we've rescheduled for the next time my father is available, which is a week from now. This just gives me another reason (of many) to dislike this particular chain of theaters.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #3709
handsome

Adaptation

Clever this one.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #3710
Fing-longer Inventor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Someone gave "Sherlock Holmes" 1 star?!?!?! Do you have a link, so I can see their criticisms?
1 star, that's disgraceful, I agree with your assessment that the film was AWESOME. I went to see it today, and was pleasantly surprised to find so many nods the A.C. Doyles brilliant books. It was also really, really funny - "the key to my release is under this cusion", great stuff.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #3711
Stalker of Britain

LQ!!!!!

Yeah, it was hilarious and awesome. I forgot one of the biggest discrepincies with the books though, that Mary and Holmes would have already met, since Watson meets Mary through his aquaintance with Holmes!

But it was still an AWESOME movie!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #3712
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Sherlock Holmes

Apparently the cinemas are still playing this, despite everyone appearing to be queuing for Avatar.

I went with my brother, who spent a year cataloging a large Conan Doyle collection that was left as a bequest to my home city - he's become something of an expert.

Anyway, we both enjoyed it, though my lasting impression was that they'd tried to make a glossy action film, and then just thrown a layer of Sherlock Holmes on top. Good fun, but when my brother described it as "nineteenth-century Batman" I think he was right.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #3713
Random

Into the Wild - 2007

"Happiness is only real when shared"

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #3714
handsome

The Prestige
Not bad but the "he lives his act" thing was rather predictable.

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War
Lame and full of clichés with only a few good\interesting parts, "superior to Save Private Ryan" my ass.

well actually... i dunno.. since SVR was kinda sucky too
Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #3715
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Adam
Cute but ultimately pointless, since the movie never finds any compelling reason why people with Asperger's Syndrome should date people without. I felt equal amounts of pity for both characters throughout the movie- they seemed to be together just because that was the premise of the movie, and not because they had any good reason. It's to the credit of the movie that it doesn't end happily, though.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #3716
Your Majesty

Up in the Air with George Clooney is an awesome movie. No fancy computer graphics, no 3-d, no superheros....just an awesome movie about an unusal life. I recommend it highly.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #3717
handsome

^ gotta see that one
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #3718
Psychonaut

Up in the Air

Jason Reitman is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors. Juno, Thank you for Smoking and now Up in the Air are movies of the highest order.

George Clooney is superb as the Corporate Downsizer who travels 320 days of the year, constantly in hotels and planes etc. Removed from all personal connections and avoiding life while ruining the lifes of thousands.

His only goal in life is to hit an air mile target.

Into this controlled life come two women who threaten to shake it up. He meets and is attracted to Alex another frequent flier ("I'm like you with a Vagina" she tells him) and starts up a casual relationship, and Natalie a young high flier straight out of business school with a bright idea to use the internet and webcams to downsize people and cut down on travel costs.

I loved how Reitman uses real people who have been laid off in those scenes, it really hits it home.

Brilliant.

5/5
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #3719
Psychonaut

The Lovely Bones

Peter Jackson's latest movie is based on a best selling novel that I haven't read.

Susie Salmon was 14 years old on Dec 6th 1973 when she was murdered by one of her neighbours. The film tells her story from 2 viewpoints.

The first hour of the film shows her growing up with her family, her love of photography and her first steps towards teenage love.

Then she is brutally murdered and the film switches to Susie in Limbo/Heaven watching how her family falls apart and her killer attempts to covers his tracks.

The acting is superb all around from the girl who plays Susie to Mark Walburg as the father to Stanley Tucci's creepy paedophile.

The CGI is very pretty in the heaven scenes, all giant ships in bottles, colourful cornfields, picture perfect waterfalls etc.

The only problem is that is feels like it's trying to do to many things. Is it a film about coping with loss? Is it a police procedural? Is it a film about the after life?

I'm not sure it all fits together correctly. It may be a fault from the novel, but it makes for a spotty narrative. They could have cut back on the effects stuff and stayed with the family/real world aspect where it was much more effective.

3/5
Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #3720
handsome

Million Dollar Baby
meh, i think ScaryMovie4 ruined it for me =P

Kikujiro
I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard or so much watching a movie .

Last edited by TiAgUh; 01-05-2010 at 07:07 AM.