You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #3601

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I love both his old and new movies. Also check out his latest (Eastern Promises) if you haven't already.
I've seen that. Better than A History of Violence - the scene in the showers is absolutely outstanding - but I didn't like the ending

Spoiler:
That awful, irrelevant kiss between Viggo Mortensen and the splendid Naomi Watts

About Naomi Watts: great actress, but her best role remains the first important one she had - Mulholland Dr., from the Master
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #3602
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I love both his old and new movies. Also check out his latest (Eastern Promises) if you haven't already.

A group of heathen farmers worshiping the act of reproducing were replaced with feministic bee planters. Enough said.
Feministic Bee Pla- what?!? That sounds like the biggest cop out I've ever heard. My girlfriend got The Wicker Man from Lovefilm and it was the Nicholas Beige version. Thank the pagans she told me first; I promptly told her to burn it and request the original.

I've only liked Cronenberg's The Fly. Videodrome was interesting but didn't seem to go anywhere and I can't remember enjoying Existenz but that was some time ago. Eastern Promises flatlined a bit for me and I actually found the shower scene ridiculous despite the tangibility of it.

Spoiler:
At one point Viggo pins one of the men down whilst the other stands there behind him with a knife in his hand staring at his keester! Stab him you baffoon!

------------

District 9 - Bonkers sci-fi with a very interesting premise that eventually meanders into cool-but-cliched action territory with director Blomkamp really showing his gaming influences.

500 Days of Summer - A quirky and (very) funny film telling a tale of 'boy meets girl'. Joseph Gordon Levitt is on top form and while it is a rom-com it's not of the typical 'Hollowood' variety. It also has a cracking soundtrack.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 AM   #3603
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
The trailer looked interesting, but when I did a bit of research on the movie, I found out it's another ruddy remake. So I checked out the original instead. Classic. I did the same thing with The Wicker Man and I'm so glad I did as the remake sucks.
The newer Wicker Man has music by Angelo Badalamenti though (Haven't actually heard any of the music, but Badalamenti is perhaps the best)
Old 09-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #3604

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
(Haven't actually heard any of the music, but Badalamenti is perhaps the best)
I have to agree
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #3605
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadraco83 View Post
i have to agree
+1
Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #3606
Psychonaut

Surrogates

An adaption a graphic novel that I recently read, I had high hopes for this film.

Unfortunatly it doesn't come close.

The basis of the movie is that the world of the future is lived via robotic surrogates, perfect bodies, no diseases, no crime, no danger (the surrogates can be destroyed without damaging the operator).

When a couple of people die while controlling a surrogate it sets off a murder mystery and conspiracy to bring down the use of surrogates.

The problem is that they changed far too much from the graphic novel and Bruce Willis looks uninterested throughout the movie (made sense when he was a robot, but not when he became himself) they skirt around the Prophet and his anti-surrogate human movement and give it a happy ending.

3/5
Old 09-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #3607

New independent movie called "Paranormal Activity".

If you played and enjoyed "The Lost Crown", this is your movie.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 AM   #3608

I've just watched the movie 'Women' on DVD. I did not expect much, because of the lame description on the back of the DVD. The movie, however, was and is a fine little thing about fellowship, helping one another, as well as questioning our society's definition ofg succes. I'll definetely recommend that you see it.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #3609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
Children of Men
Hands down, one of the best films of the past few years.

I'm sure it was in there somewhere amongst the 181 pages - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #3610
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by olla86 View Post
I have the best wallpapers!
Do you now.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #3611
Headbanger

Max Manus

A great movie based on true events about a Norweigen resistance movement during WW2. An Oscar candidate for best foreign film.

Severance

A Comedy/Horror movie about a team building trip that goes wrong. A really funny movie.

There Will Be Blood

I think it got som good moments where the music, sound and camera work really is top notch but it doesn't work all the way IMO.

Hell Ride

An exploitation movie about bikergangs. It got some fun moments but it really lacks a proper story. This is no Easy Rider (or Full Throttle).
Old 10-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #3612
Homer of Kittens

Milk
A great movie talking about the migration of the gay community to Castro Street in San Francisco and the life and death of Harvey Milk. It is both very touching, sad and inspiring. What is sad, is that 30+ years after the events of the movie, and the gay community still doesn't have the same rights as everyone else. And the casting for the movie is just perfect.

A+++

Firefox rules
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #3613
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Last night a family I'm friendly with invited me over to watch 12 angry men with them. It was excellent. It's a very old (black-and-white) movie about the jury system. It's very simple, but that works in its favor. I like things which are totally focused and free of filler.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #3614

12 Angry Men is a masterpiece. The most beautiful legal movie ever produced. Even calling it a 'legal movie' is reductive.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #3615
Not like them!

No, I think that's fair. The movie exists to praise an aspect of the American legal system. It never loses sight of that.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #3616
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Milk
Milk could have been a great movie. All the elements were in place -- I agree almost entire cast is pitch perfect, add to that fantastic editing and best Danny Elfman score in ages -- except the screenplay, which I found terribly uninspired. I don't think it's enough to rely on inherent dramatism and relevance of the actual events and "borrow" all the best parts from the far superior documentary to write a good feature film. (Obviously, the Oscar voters disagreed with me here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Last night a family I'm friendly with invited me over to watch 12 angry men with them. It was excellent. It's a very old (black-and-white) movie about the jury system. It's very simple, but that works in its favor. I like things which are totally focused and free of filler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
12 Angry Men is a masterpiece. The most beautiful legal movie ever produced. Even calling it a 'legal movie' is reductive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
No, I think that's fair. The movie exists to praise an aspect of the American legal system. It never loses sight of that.
I love 12 Angry Men. I could talk about it for hours, but let me just say that reducing its message to praising anything seems unfair. It's more ambiguous than that. I mean:

Spoiler:
Implicitly, the movie says that if not for one open-minded, unprejudiced man out of twelve the system would be happy to imprison an innocent person and call it a day.

Incidentally, Nikita Mikhalkov's recent 12 is an unusually non-redundant remake. Inferior to be sure, over-the-top where the original was minimalistic, and I am certain a lot of minor things will be lost on non-Eastern-Europeans... but with equally strong acting across the board, and a few interesting spins on the story (particularly towards the end). I higly recommend it, but only to those already familiar with Lumet's film.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #3617
Not like them!

I see your point.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #3618
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Incidentally, Nikita Mikhalkov's recent 12 is an unusually non-redundant remake. Inferior to be sure, over-the-top where the original was minimalistic, and I am certain a lot of minor things will be lost on non-Eastern-Europeans... but with equally strong acting across the board, and a few interesting spins on the story (particularly towards the end). I higly recommend it, but only to those already familiar with Lumet's film.
I'll have to disagree on this one. I haven't seen the original, but found Mihalkov's remake to be a great movie nevertheless. It does deal with racial issues a lot, a topic that has been very current at all times in the former sowjetunion.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #3619
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I'll have to disagree on this one. I haven't seen the original, but found Mihalkov's remake to be a great movie nevertheless. It does deal with racial issues a lot, a topic that has been very current at all times in the former sowjetunion.
Yeah, I also know people who've seen only Mikhalkov's film and enjoyed it a lot. What I really should have said is that watching it with knowledge of Lumet's IMO gives the most satisfying experience, because you can see how the screenplay is toying with your expectations, reshuffling the order of some scenes from the original, or turning them to eleven, or ignoring them completely. For example, I smiled when

Spoiler:
Mikhalkov's Juror#1 says matter-of-factly "Yeah, and all of you also forgot that the woman was short-sighted." just before his big speech, because the witness' eyesight was a pretty big point that ultimately convinced one of the most stubborn jurors in the original. Almost as if the director was berating his actors for missing a scene.

Anyway, both great great movies in their own ways, so we don't disagree at all.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #3620
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

We saw "Push" in the cinema a few weeks ago, and I really liked it. Sure, it's not a great philosophical piece of work, or anything like that, but it was well done, and the concept of the whole thing was great. I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone. Sadly, the movie itself didn't really have a cinema release here (I saw it at a movie festival in Frankfurt), and went directly to DVD, but it really should have been released.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!