You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 AM   #3561
delusions of adequacy

Isn't it spelt Inglourious Basterds? For whatever inane reason.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #3562
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Isn't it spelt Inglourious Basterds? For whatever inane reason.
Whadevah
Old 08-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #3563

Drag Me To Hell

loved it! if anyone knows of movies that are to do with black magic, evil spirits, ghosts, demons, etc.. please post them!

I love Evil Dead and thats the type of horror I am into, slashers dont really get me
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 AM   #3564
Life and times of...

Sicko

Excellent, a must-see. Sure, it's a Michael Moore document and sure it might be a bit exaggerated, but it's a very good look into how things (in the health-care area) are done, how they can be done and how they should be done. And it just shows how wrong the US health care system has gone. Everybody who's opposing Obama's reforms should take a look at this (although I'm sure they'd just block it out of their minds).
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #3565

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Didn't Spirited Away had all that?
It may have been a "deeper" story but it was nothing impressive, a lot of fairytales have had the similar basis and the character development is always laughable. "A boy is forced to be a dragon against his own will and do bad deeds, who happened to save me from trouble earlier who was the only person i could talk with and thats why I love him! and must save him!."

Nausicaa had a much better and original premise, the other stuff he has made is just a rip off dozens of fairytales. Ponyo wasn't original however it didn't try to be deep either so when Spirited Away tries that I take that into account in terms of critism. Miyazaki is a genious with scenery and fictional worlds but wouldn't say that with story telling.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #3566

Inglorious Basterds
I liked it, not the best Tarantino film, but it was really good. Christoph Waltz performance is just brilliant. MĂ©lanie Laurent is beautiful and her acting was also very good, in the scene with Landa at the restaurant she was simply amazing. On the other hand, Brad Pitt and Co did not impress me at all, specially Eli Roth that was clearly the weakest link.

Like in most Tarantino films the dialogue is the best part of the film, so well written. My favourite chapters were the 4th one (outstanding, loved the bar scene), then the 1st (so tense) and the 3rd. 2 and 5 were a bit weaker IMO, although the beggining of the 5th one with the song "Cat People" by God... sorry David Bowie was great.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #3567

The Crew

Loved it!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #3568
the midnight rambler

Default The Hurt Locker

I was really looking forward to this, particularly because of it's glowing reviews and alleged 'realism'. The film is shot in a very gritty, grainy and quickly cut docu-film style making events feel that little more tangible and 'real'. Despite this and the films modern setting the film careers into ridiculous implausibility on a number of occasions shattering any empathy for the protagonists' situation and taking any tension with it. Ultimately this film is absurd nonsense masquerading as reality and by the looks of things it's even fooling the critics.

EDIT: It seems that members of the military are really pissed with this film for similar reasons to the above.

Last edited by geggis; 09-04-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Articulation failure
Old 09-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #3569
Psychonaut

District 9

The Aliens have landed in South Africa and are living in a cordened off slum called District 9.

The locals are a bit antsy about them and the crime problems so they decide to try and move them to a new area away from the city.

Partially filmed as a documentary this is probably one of the best films i've seen this year.

Low budget but with some cracking SFX the alien "Prawns" are the highlight of the movie. Forced to live in a slum, exploited by the locals and treated like sh*t by the government this is more a film about social injustice and racism.

Not that original a topic in Sci-fi, but it's put together here as part of a fun action thriller that at $30 million is the bargain of the summer. Transformers 2 $300 million mess of a movie has nothing on this.

It's a blooming shame that the director didn't get to make the mega million dollar Halo movie, but this is a great substitute (and probably a better movie).

5/5
Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #3570
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Extract

Another Mike Judge comedy that will garner mixed reviews and bomb at the box office yet go on to have a following on DVD. Plot's a mess but that doesn't matter when it's so consistently funny and the characters are all so memorably silly. If you're a Mike Judge fan, you'll find a lot to like here.

4/5

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 09-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #3571

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm currently watching Let the Right One In, which in Italian goes under the title of Lasciami Entrare (= let me in)...

... OK, now I finished it. I'm underwhelmed and quite disappointed. While the film is not bad, I found that it lacked any real substance. I found an 'exterior' movie, who did something quite good (the representation of the beast inside the vampire, via sound effects mainly; the cinematography; the last shot which is simply genial), and something terrible (the writing; the pace; a direction that was undecided between gritty realism and magical surrealism).

All in all, I'd say 6 out 10, or maybe even 5.5
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 09-09-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #3572
the midnight rambler

Did you watch it in parts?! Or were you typing AND watching!?

Unless it has a deliberate intermission like Spartacus then I don't like to watch in bits!

I saw Moon the other day and it was absolutely fantastic. Duncan Jones has done a sterling job of capturing that low-fi timeless science fiction aesthetic personified by Kubrick's 2001. The intriguing and thought provoking story is carried by a superb performance from Sam Rockwell. If you don't typically enjoy science fiction (like my gf) I still highly recommend this because even she was bowled over by it.

Clint Mansell provides a very evocative score too.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #3573

Quote:
Originally Posted by geggis View Post
Did you watch it in parts?! Or were you typing AND watching!?
I had to make a pause. Both because something external interrupted the vision and because I was finding pretty hard not to fall asleep without a cigarette, and I had my packet in another room.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #3574
the midnight rambler

Being tired and watching a slow film is hard work. I usually have to make an executive decision whether to leave it for another day or not! While I've never fallen asleep watching a film -or reading a book for that matter- my eyes begin to sting as they fight the sandman's vice like grip.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #3575

Quote:
Being tired and watching a slow film is hard work. I usually have to make an executive decision whether to leave it for another day or not! While I've never fallen asleep watching a film -or reading a book for that matter- my eyes begin to sting as they fight the sandman's vice like grip.
Agree, but I didn't want to leave it for tomorrow. My boyfriend recommended it to me and I was eager to give him my opinion. Plus, being a vampire movie, I thought I'd like it very much, since I'm a huge vampire buff, but the film failed to intrigue me. Give me True Blood every day a week!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #3576
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Agree, but I didn't want to leave it for tomorrow. My boyfriend recommended it to me and I was eager to give him my opinion. Plus, being a vampire movie, I thought I'd like it very much, since I'm a huge vampire buff, but the film failed to intrigue me. Give me True Blood every day a week!
Yeah, I've heard good things about that. As a fan of Alan Ball (I adore Six Feet Under and American Beauty) I'm very curious about it. I found Let the Right One In a breath of fresh air and an intriguing take on the (rather staid) vampire legend. I heard the book explained a lot more of the elements the film only hinted at.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #3577

Quote:
I found Let the Right One In a breath of fresh air and an intriguing take on the (rather staid) vampire legend.
What I didn't like about the movie was the lack of any reflection upon the ultimate nature of vampirism, the clash between humanity and bestiality, the struggle of soul longing for peace or forgiveness. I'm a swayed Anne Rice fan, after all , and a Vampire: The Masquerade player to boot.

If you liked American Beauty and Six Feet Under, as I did, you'd love True Blood!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #3578
In an evening of July...

Quote:
I saw Moon the other day and it was absolutely fantastic. Duncan Jones has done a sterling job of capturing that low-fi timeless science fiction aesthetic personified by Kubrick's 2001. The intriguing and thought provoking story is carried by a superb performance from Sam Rockwell. If you don't typically enjoy science fiction (like my gf) I still highly recommend this because even she was bowled over by it.

Clint Mansell provides a very evocative score too.
I wanna see this so bad, all these raving reviews are such a tease.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #3579
the midnight rambler

Moon was only on for 4 days at our cinema so I'm glad we got in while we could. Seriously it's one of the best, if not the best film I've seen this year. The Hurt Locker can go and blow itself up for all I care. I preferred Black Hawk Down!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #3580

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm currently watching Let the Right One In, which in Italian goes under the title of Lasciami Entrare (= let me in)...

All in all, I'd say 6 out 10, or maybe even 5.5
Oh i loved Let the Right One In, it was my favourite 2008 movie (although it was only released this year here in Portugal). And i'm not a big fan of vampire movies so... thats impressive.