You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #3241
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
American Gangster
I loved it, probably even more so than No Country for Old Men. 5/5
Watched them both after you mentioning them here. Great stuff, but I favor No Country For Old Men over American Gangster (...friend-o), me being a fan of Fargo and The Big Lebowsky and all.
Also, Anton Chiguth is now one my my favorite movie characters.

EDIT: Also, I believe there was almost no music background in this movie, which is very peculiar and certainly adds to the dry atmosphere of the whole film. That, and all the hard cuts between the scenes. Pretty unusual, and very interesting.

Last edited by kuze; 05-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #3242
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hey, No Country for Old Men was the first movie I saw in Vaasa's new glorious movie theater that is finally a REAL MOVIE THEATER.

A great movie in a great new theater!

Javier Bardem was amazing as Anton Chigurh.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #3243
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'm devastated. They have destroyed my childhood. I have to see it again though, it didn't feel totally terrible at times. But the magic from the first three movies are gone, but more then that they really managed to destroy the fundamentals of the series.
I feel the same way.
The movie simply sucks, I wasn't watching Indy, I was watching The Mummy or some sh*t like that.

0.5\10
Old 05-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #3244
Psychonaut

Trying to revive classic franchises after an extended break......never a good idea. Just ask Star Wars fans.

Is Indy IV another "Phantom Menace"?

Not quite. Certainly not as good as 1 or 3, but IMO it is better than Temple of Doom and that alone makes it better than 90% of movies made today. It certainly kicks the ass of the pretenders like National Treasure.

It gets off to a good start with the scene in the warehouse, the nuclear explosion (Although far fetched survival) and the bike chase. It certainly had some of the charm of an Indy film although watered down by expectation and some dodgy CGI late on.

The cast was great although some of them were underused (John Hurt in particular). Le Beouf was great, Cate Blancett was fun (Dodgy accent and all) and Harrison Ford slipped back into the role with ease.

My major problem with the film is the bloody stupid ending which to me didn't fit with the Indy style.

Overall though I think it was a fun old fashioned adventure movie and I had a blast.

7/10
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #3245
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Number 23
Jim Carrey is reasonable. Shame about the plot, which is abysmal.

A distinctly mediocre film.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #3246
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Raiders of the Lost Ark
I saw this again this morning. And somehow it managed to be even better than I remembered it being.

I liked it, though the plot was wafer thin and some scenes (Tarzan!) were just stupid. Any film that causes me to break out into a cheesy grin for the entire duration is getting something right, though.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #3247
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

You Don't Mess with the Zohan

It takes smart writers to make a stupid comedy work. Anyone can attempt to write incredibly silly material, but for it to actually be funny, you need someone who really understands comedy. That's why the old Adam Sandler movies worked, most of them were written with Adam and the best writers from Saturday Night Live so they knew what they're doing. There was a gleefully dumb brilliance to them. Unfortunately, his last few movies haven't been funny because the scripts have been pretty awful. They lost the over the top silliness the old writers brought and were left with plain formulaic studio comedies. Luckily, it seems he understands that he needs actual comedy writers to pull off the stupid humour he's perfected so he's enlisted the help of Robert Smigel, who worked as a head writer for Conan O'Brien but is better known as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog or for his saturday morning funhouse cartoons on SNL. Robert's a great writer, and with a little extra help from the equally great Judd Apatow, him and Adam wrote an insanely goofy script that has made an insanely goofy and entertaining little comedy. It's lowbrow, it's dumb, but it's consistently funny, something you couldn't have said about any of the past few Adam Sandler movies. If you're a fan of well-made stupid comedies, you will like this movie.

7/10.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #3248
Psychonaut

The Incredible Hulk

Marvel tries to reinvigorate the Hulk franchise after the decent, but flawed Ang Lee interpretation.

This time Edward Norton takes on the mantle of Bruce Banner and his violent alter ego. Hiding out in Brazil while on the run from the military and hunting a cure the film gets off to a good start when they discover his location.

Cue a chase scene through the streets of a slum in Brazil as Banner tries to keep his control as he flees through the streets. When he finally changes, the Hulk is kept in the shadows only glimpsed and heard in a very effective sequence.

unfortunatly it is downhill from there. The film is most effective when the Hulk isnt on screen, when he is, it reverts to a standard CGI punchup that you have seen a hundred times.

Norton is a decent actor and puts in a decent enough stint here, but it is Liv Tyler that provides the heart of the movie as Bettie Ross the ex and daughter of the General chasing him.

For the fanboys this film is a goldmine of Marvel references from the onscreen mentions of Stark industries, SHIELD, Super Soldier serum and various Hulk enemies to be (The Leader etc) I was also happy to see references to the old TV show with Bixby, Ferrigno and even the theme tune making an appearance.

Overall it is an average blockbuster that seems more of a set up for future Marvel movies and the potential sequel.

6/10
Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #3249
Lovable rogue

Blood Diamond

I haven't entirely made up my mind about this movie. At the outset I was afraid that the film was going to follow Leonardo DiCaprio on some noble quest to prevent the trade of these diamonds, but I was presently surprised by the fact that his actions were quite mercenary, and I found the plot quite compelling. The film completely lost me in the last 45 minutes however, the pacing slowed down to a point where I was just wishing they'd hurry up and draw the thing to a close, then we had the predictable cliched Hollywood change of direction, where the bad guy turns good, blah blah blah, happy ending. *yawn* I find that so tiresome, it goes from gritty and real, to trying to placate viewers who wish to live in a bubble where everything always works out for the good.

I did learn one thing from all this though, conflict diamonds seem to be a very lucrative business...

Blade Runner (the final cut)

I watched this due to the fact that the film is continually heralded as a cult classic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was interesting, but I really wasn't blown away. Perhaps had I seen it in 1982 it would have had more impact, but I didn't feel it at all. If anything, I found the moral questions it tried to throw up, far too transparent to have any effect. Nevertheless, I'm glad this was the cut I viewed, as a narration and pegged on happy ending would really have been detrimental to the entire thing.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #3250

Send a message via AIM to guyver1 Send a message via Yahoo to guyver1
Default the incredible hulk

yeah saw the new hulk movie saturday with my friend michael it was okay not what i was hoping for better then the other one. Also people said it was just as good as iron man are crazy iron man was ten times better from my view point and my friend felt the same way.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 PM   #3251
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
Blade Runner (the final cut)

I watched this due to the fact that the film is continually heralded as a cult classic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it was interesting, but I really wasn't blown away.
Jatsie, the main thing is that, with this cut, all the screwed up stuff is finally fixed. So if you're going to see one version, as a new viewer, this is the one to watch--finally cleaned up.

As a long time follower of this film, that's the main and only point for me--like the latest cut of the first Star Wars film (ep. IV), I am no long distracted by the production inadaquacies of the time and can now just enjoy the story.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #3252
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I had basically the same reaction as Jat316sob when I saw Blade Runner. (I also saw the final cut.) I just didn't see what was so special about it. And no one I talked to had seen it, which led me to wonder whether it's just an internet cult thing.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #3253
Psychonaut

Bladerunner is a brilliant film.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #3254
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Well, it's okay. I can totally understand why people don't like it, though.

Mainly because I didn't the first time, and for some reason did the second. I'm not about to argue that people should go and watch the film a second time, though, because I'm not convinced that my change in opinion has anything to do with having already seen the film.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:50 AM   #3255
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Bladerunner is a brilliant film.
Say that two more times. Then it'll have to be true.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #3256
Not like them!

I just watched No Country For Old Men. I loved the craft behind it, and the chase scenes were fantastic. But I don't really understand what the movie was trying to say, so I didn't like it so much.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #3257
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I keep meaning to watch Blade Runner. I've even got a copy of the game that someone from Telltale gave me (most likely Emily), which I haven't really wanted to play until I've seen the movie first. Hmm...
Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #3258
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Say that two more times. Then it'll have to be true.
Don't need to. It is already true.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #3259
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I enjoyed Blade Runner. Most of the film's elements were brilliant, and I think it's a movie that does improve the more times you see it. That said, I've only seen the final cut, so if I saw an earlier cut I might not have liked the movie. One thing that's odd about the movie, though, is that rather than a fun sci-fi film it's a movie with a moral message, and I'm not sure how well that worked.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #3260
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
...rather than a fun sci-fi film it's a movie with a moral message...
Again, I still haven't seen the movie, but must those two concepts be mutually exclusive?