You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #301
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

*warbles in best Jack Jones impression*
Love
Exciting and new
Come aboard
We're expecting you...

*snicker*
*giggle*
*snort*

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #302
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Perhaps because it is the ideal sci-fi movie. Sorry, I just wanted to wear my "FILM SNOB" sign a bit longer for everyone else in this thread. Oh who the hell am I kidding, I am a film snob. I try to be nice about it though. It's hard to conceal... Heh.
It's just fashionable to enjoy tedious, badly-paced, plotless movies with a few fancy camera angles, isn't it .

j/k

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #303
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I prefer sci-fi films like 2001: A Space Odyssey over action-oriented films like T2 or WoW.
I still get the impression no one is getting my point... I prefer movies like City of the Lost Children over 2001 AND T2.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #304
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I still get the impression no one is getting my point... I prefer movies like City of the Lost Children over 2001 AND T2.
Awesome Film! Such wonderfully detailed yet claustrophobic sets, especially away from the mad scientist's lair.
Now that is an art film, and it pretends to be nothing else.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #305

Quote:
Yea, we finally got very close on agreeing on something! City of the Lost Children is a superb film! I do love it but it's really not sci fi, is it? It's more a nightmarish fairy tale much like Brazil or Naked Lunch. I prefer any of these three films over T2 but not over 2001. Still no glomping for me.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #306
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
It's just fashionable to enjoy tedious, badly-paced, plotless movies with a few fancy camera angles, isn't it .

j/k
Bah, you aren't joking. You believe that don't you? If I threw holy water on you, you'd probably start steaming!

Quote:
City of Lost Children is pretty cool. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is definitely a talented filmmaker. He's hit or miss, but when he hits, it's worth it.

Quote:
I prefer any of these three films over T2 but not over 2001. Still no glomping for me.
Ditto. I must say I really love Roger Ebert's take on 2001 which he sums up well in these two sentences:

What Kubrick had actually done was make a philosophical statement about man's place in the universe, using images as those before him had used words, music or prayer. And he had made it in a way that invited us to contemplate it -- not to experience it vicariously as entertainment, as we might in a good conventional science-fiction film, but to stand outside it as a philosopher might, and think about it.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 09-14-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #307
Elegantly copy+pasted

Ebert, when he puts his mind to it, can be a pretty insightful critic. I still can't figure out what's so hard to understand about Mulholland Drive, though.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #308
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Ebert, when he puts his mind to it, can be a pretty insightful critic. I still can't figure out what's so hard to understand about Mulholland Drive, though.
I love Mulholland Drive, but yeah A LOT of people don't get it. It makes perfect sense. I actually wrote a thing several years ago about what it meant and posted it in a forum. It was hilarious, everyone was like, "Oh thank you so much! It's a brilliant movie now!" LOL.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #309
Epinionated.

I preferred Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive felt "cheap" to me, but perhaps I need to give it another chance. Anyhow, a movie fan should at least be able to see the failings in their favourite films! I know I can... although I'll still argue like a bastard about it.

I just finished Alexander; The Directors Cut this afternoon (three for two offer, in case anyone thinks I've seen an insane amount of movies in a day)... I'm noting my current storyboard and am damn tired... Alexander was a good background film and actually had me sit down for a bit to watch it. Oliver Stone's much maligned-movie isn't half as bad as people say it is, and the irish accents performed by Val Kilmer and Colin Farrell's own natural twang are as easily forgiveable as if they were talking in broad American.

In fact, I'd say it's pretty good and makes me want to see the theatrical version (longer). It's really brave for a mainstream Hollywood film and deals with Alexanders barely repressed homosexuality quite well... a lot of the more intimate moments are with men, particularly a slave and his best friend Hephaistion, even though he enjoys a roll with a gorgeous barbarian girl played by the well-endowed (and HOW) Rosario Dawson. Even though you pretty much see the consummation of that particular relationship more than any of the homosexual affairs, it's still incredibly upfront about it for such an expensive film.

The cinematography is gorgeous, the flavour-of-the-month huge battles have more character than some recent movies (lovely use of a track across the armies with an eagle at the beginning), the effects are well-done and the acting is hammy but fits like a glove into its aura of opulence. The only REAL thing that pissed me off was the incredibly bad synth music. Sometimes it really worked, but most of the time its made-for-bad-TV cheapness really worked against the movie. The ending also seemed to just "arrive"... well, they couldn't have done it any other way, but it also tied in with the love of his best friend, so it didn't matter too much.

Better than it should be.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #310
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Even though you pretty much see the consummation of that particular relationship more than any of the homosexual affairs, it's still incredibly upfront about it for such an expensive film.
It's not as expensive, surely, but with a cast like this and a filmmaker like Ang Lee, this looks even more brave. This is the third thread I've posted this trailer in (I have yet to see a single reaction to it from anyone on this board...), and I guess its time for round 3. Will someone please watch this damn thing and tell me what they think? I'm quite excited about this film, it seems to be extremely honest and human. One must take into account the time period (early 60s), the place (U.S.), and the fact that these guys are southern. Anyway, I've seen many gay films, but not one this high profile. Even Angels in America didn't have quite the same appeal as this film appears to have.

Please, people...give opinions on this trailer...this is my third try...

Brokeback Mountain
Old 09-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #311
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
I preferred Lost Highway.
I love Lost Highway. n_n Never understood it, though! But that's really not important.

You know, the smileys here are slowly but surely changing, and it's annoying me. Teehee.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #312

Quote:

Brokeback Mountain
Hoo, boy, that was powerful.

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

What a great line! Cowboys and homosexuality do not really mix, do they? I was going to watch this movie anyway since it's an Ang Lee film but now I'm going to be eagerly wating for its release. Will the power of love enable the two men to overcome the obstacles? I can't wait to see it. It's a December release, I think. It has Oscar considerations written all over it.

You know, sanjuro, what we really need to get is Trep's opinion. Not just becasue he's gay but because absorbing and expressing his views on emotional stories like this is his forte.

Last edited by gillyruless; 09-14-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #313
Psychonaut

Quote:

Brokeback Mountain

It looks well shot. The cinematography look pretty good all sweeping vistas and fireside chats.

Has some decent actors in it plus Heath Ledger

Storyline's not my cup of tea, but might watch if it was on the tv.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #314
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:

What a great line! Cowboys and homosexuality do not really mix, do they? I was going to watch this movie anyway since it's an Ang Lee film but now I'm going to be eagerly wating for its release. Will the power of love enable the two men to overcome the obstacles? I can't wait to see it. It's a December release, I think. It has Oscar considerations written all over it.
Yeah it already won the major prize at Venice. To compare, Kurosawa's Rashomon also won that prize in 1950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Has some decent actors in it plus Heath Ledger
Does that mean you do or don't like Heath Ledger? I'm not a fan really, but he's getting tons of praise for his work in this film. People are whispering "Best Actor" here...
Old 09-14-2005, 02:45 PM   #315
Epinionated.

I kinda liked Heath in that fanastically cheesy movie about jousting with the beautiful Shannyn Sossamon, A Knights Tale. Worth it for the excellent mix into David Bowie at a ball! Then again, I love cheesy films if they have a sense of fun - top of the cheese this year is a splendiferously mozzerella infested Sahara.

Ah, Shannyn... bask in her beauty. Raven haired, dark-eyed, olive skinned beauty.

Still haven't seen The Rules Of Attraction yet... She makes short films nowadays, indie queen that she is.

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaannnyhow...

As for that trailer, looks like a decent weepy, probably a bit too self-important for me and with real bad mood music. Impressed by Heath Ledger, not looking nor sounding himself, in it already, though... Jake Gyllenhaal isn't in enough films for my liking too. A very brave film and will probably touch a few nerves the size of bible-waving America.

How's about that Shannyn Sossamon, eh?

Old 09-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #316
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
As for that trailer, looks like a decent weepy, probably a bit too self-important for me and with real bad mood music. Impressed by Heath Ledger, not looking nor sounding himself, in it already, though... Jake Gyllenhaal isn't in enough films for my liking too. A very brave film and will probably touch a few nerves the size of bible-waving America.
In its defense as far as the music goes, the movie probably won't be anything like that. Ang Lee doesn't abuse music to force emotions where none are earned. The music in the trailer was from The Shawshank Redemption, and I doubt Ang Lee had much to do with putting it together. I like Jake Gyllenhaal though, ever since he was in October Sky.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #317
Bad Influence

Quote:

What a great line! Cowboys and homosexuality do not really mix, do they?
Are you kidding? Please don't confuse dimestore pulp novel cowboys with the genuine article. On a long cattle drive your choices were pretty much limited to getting friendly with your bunkmates or getting friendly with the cattle.
Quote:
I was going to watch this movie anyway since it's an Ang Lee film but now I'm going to be eagerly wating for its release. Will the power of love enable the two men to overcome the obstacles? I can't wait to see it. It's a December release, I think. It has Oscar considerations written all over it.
I'm going to go see it as well. At the rate it was downloading the preview will take me an hour or more to watch, so I'll have to save that for a little later.

Quote:
You know, sanjuro, what we really need to get is Trep's opinion. Not just becasue he's gay but because absorbing and expressing his views on emotional stories like this is his forte.
And what am I? Chopped liver?
Just kidding. I'd like to hear Trep's views on this as well.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #318
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's not as expensive, surely, but with a cast like this and a filmmaker like Ang Lee, this looks even more brave. This is the third thread I've posted this trailer in (I have yet to see a single reaction to it from anyone on this board...), and I guess its time for round 3. Will someone please watch this damn thing and tell me what they think? I'm quite excited about this film, it seems to be extremely honest and human. One must take into account the time period (early 60s), the place (U.S.), and the fact that these guys are southern. Anyway, I've seen many gay films, but not one this high profile. Even Angels in America didn't have quite the same appeal as this film appears to have.

Brokeback Mountain
I got weepy just during the trailer. It reminds me of vet school. During Ambulatory rotation (instead of people bringing their cows, horses into the hospital - you go out to them), one of the old vets - in his 70's - told us about his first wife and how unhappy she was when he first became a vet. They would move and she still wasn't happy. Finally, she left him for another woman and he said very matter of factly - well I guess I know why she was unhappy. This was back in the 1950's so decisions like that weren't easy. Seeing that trailer really brings to mind how many lies people have to live because they would not be accepted for who they are (especially in the time frame of that movie). Life is incredibly interesting.

EDIT: I guess the inspiration for this post is how I approach movies. The only weaponry I have when confronting a movie is my heart, soul and life experiences. I don't have the knowledge base that SJH or OAV have to critically analyze a movie and I think that is where some disagreements come in. Certainly if a movie is crap, anyone can recognize that but some of the finer aspects that make a movie good (camera angles, lighting, etc) aren't really recognized by someone like me. I can only tell you how a movie makes me feel, if it awakens something in me, makes me remember something (such as the story above). A question I have for SJH and OAV - do you feel that your knowledge of cinema and movie making hinders or helps how you emotionally judge a movie?

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-14-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #319
Super Moderator

Quote:
I kinda liked Heath in that fanastically cheesy movie about jousting with the beautiful Shannyn Sossamon, A Knights Tale. Worth it for the excellent mix into David Bowie at a ball! Then again, I love cheesy films if they have a sense of fun - top of the cheese this year is a splendiferously mozzerella infested Sahara.

Ah, Shannyn... bask in her beauty. Raven haired, dark-eyed, olive skinned beauty.

Still haven't seen The Rules Of Attraction yet... She makes short films nowadays, indie queen that she is.

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaannnyhow...

How's about that Shannyn Sossamon, eh?

I loved that movie - lots of fun!!

And yes, she is very pretty (very exotic looking and not cookie cutter pretty)

EDIT: She was also in the movie - The Order - with Heath baby. That movie was interesting as well - cool, creepy story line about an order of priests!

Last edited by Melanie68; 09-14-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #320
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I guess the inspiration for this post is how I approach movies. The only weaponry I have when confronting a movie is my heart, soul and life experiences. I don't have the knowledge base that SJH or OAV have to critically analyze a movie and I think that is where some disagreements come in. Certainly if a movie is crap, anyone can recognize that but some of the finer aspects that make a movie good (camera angles, lighting, etc) aren't really recognized by someone like me. I can only tell you how a movie makes me feel, if it awakens something in me, makes me remember something (such as the story above). A question I have for SJH and OAV - do you feel that your knowledge of cinema and movie making hinders or helps how you emotionally judge a movie?
Well, that's actually a good question. Perhaps it does a bit, but not entirely. Some films will always make tears come to my eyes, no matter what. The type of "emotional" movies I have grown immune to are the ones Hollywood generally puts out. You know the type...the sappy, crappy stuff where the music hits an enormous crescendo as someone is dying and people are crying...that sort of manipulation doesn't phase me (in fact I've involuntarily started laughing). But films that earn their emotion through the characters, the images, etc...that moves me.

Also, I must admit I have a single weakness when it comes to the emotion I feel in films. It's very personal, and has little to do with the quality of the work itself. When I was seven years old my father died, and my stepdad wasn't the greatest by any means... So, I always get very sad in movies when there's some sort of father and son bonding. Like in October Sky, for instance, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. The main character's father wants him to be a miner and believes he's just living in a fantasy land if he thinks he can design rockets. By the end of the movie though, the father begins to believe in his son. That kind of thing is like a cheap shot in my case...it always works.