You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #2921
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
Blade Runner: The Final Cut

It's still Blade Runner. If you like the movie, you'll like this version of it. If you haven't seen it, this is probably the version to see. The differences aren't that important, though.
The Directors Cut and the Final Cut isn't the same?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #2922
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
The Directors Cut and the Final Cut isn't the same?
No. The final cut is the one that was just released this year.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Seven versions of the film have been created, for various markets, as well as a result of controversial changes made by film executives. A rushed Director's Cut was released in 1992 after a strong response to workprint screenings. This in conjunction with its popularity as a video rental made it one of the first films to see a DVD release. Warner Bros. announced in January 2006 the upcoming 25th anniversary theatrical and DVD release in late 2007 of the long-awaited remastered definitive Final Cut by Scott.[4]
Old 10-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #2923
Headbanger

So then I have to see the Fincal Cut then.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #2924

I have just watched a very fine little Canadian gem of a movie called Emile. I would prefer to call it of film though as it explores the mind of a man who returns from England to Canada to get a honoraray degree at one of Canada's universities. He then visits his niece and her daugther and the past is rolled up right before our very eyes. The past and the present blend seamlessly into one another in this fiom as the fabric of the present is woven into the fabric of the past and vice versa.

Emile is a film I highly recommend you watch
(it's on dvd now...)

Last edited by aries323; 10-15-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 AM   #2925
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Am I the only one who thought it wasn't nearly as good as the first one??? Still decent though for a direct and unnecessary sequel.
No you're not the only one. Both myself and the friend I went to see it with though, nice setpieces but too much like "let's do the same thing again."

Plus I've already said my bit about Danny Boyle's shaky, blurry camera shots.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #2926
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Emile is a film I highly recommend you watch
(it's on dvd now...)
Ian McKellen? I'm there. It's at the top of my Netflix queue.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #2927

just saw Immortal, cross between blade runner and starget, kinda of cool flic I think there is only three human actors in it, the rest seem to be computer generated like a game.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #2928
The Major Grubert.

Could you be a little more precise? Immortal brings up several possibilities on IMDb.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #2929
King Silly

I just saw Disturbia. Hadn't seen a good horror/thriller in long time. This one was very good, especially creating the atmosphere. All thumbs up!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #2930
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Could you be a little more precise? Immortal brings up several possibilities on IMDb.
My guess is he means this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314063/
Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #2931

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - a nice movie. It felt like there was much left to explain about the world, though. Maybe the other movies will take care of that.

Boogie Nights - I want to see some PT Anderson movies before I watch his newest one coming out. This one was certainly well done, but I've never been one for movies about drugs ruining people's lives. One thing I didn't quite get was the absence of music where it was clearly meant to be. I'm guessing it was meant to make the characters seem sadder.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #2932
The Major Grubert.

See PTA's Magnolia. I think you'll find a lack of musical cues there too--he's all about strength of dialog.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:21 AM   #2933
Freeware Co-ordinator

Saw

After all the "Dare you see Saw?" advertising I expected a gross out slasher flick. It was on sale and I was on holiday so I thought what the heck. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a lot more intelligent than the hype suggested. True, it is still pretty gory and nasty but it has a deeper psychological overtone, much like Cube which I see as its spiritual predecessor. The performances are all top-notch as well with some big names mixing with others I'd never heard of before.

If you can stomach the gore and want something a bit more thought-provoking then I'd say give it a go. Given the spiralling decline of the aforementioned Cube I don't hold out much hope for the sequels. That said, if the first film managed to surprise me pleasantly, maybe the sequels will too.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #2934
King Silly

First Saw movie was really, really great and a very original idea. The scares you in different way getting under your skin making you think what would you do, would you go that far to stay alive? The sequels were just milking the cow really and not even nearly as good in my opinion. Not just because they were sequels and idea was recycled, but they were just bad.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #2935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Immortel (ad vitam) (2004)

This movie is set in the year 2095, hence the presence of mutant humans and extraterrestrials. The main character is known as Jill (Linda Hardy). She is not human. When she is discovered by Dr Elma Turner (Charlotte Rampling) she is diagnosed as being the most interesting genetic test subject Turner has ever come across. Her organs are not in the right place, she has no memory and she appears, biologically to be only three months old. Turner gives her a break, gives her an identity card and a place to stay, in exchange for being her guinea-pig to work on and discover more about. Nicopol is a frozen prisoner who is due to be released a year after the film is set. There is a problem in the prisoner ward and several are thrown down to grow (dying in the process), including Nicopol (but only his leg). There is a lot more to this story but I can't disclose it in this summary, I don't have the words. Written by wedgwood
Old 10-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #2936

National Treasure - this is one of those movies I like to watch even though I know it's quite formulaic and has lots of wrong facts.

Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo - I can be forgiving on these sorts of movies, but this was terrible.

The Da Vinci Code - this movie suffers from a bad plot that's stretched too long.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #2937
Psychonaut

- First time at the movies in a few months.

Stardust

An adaption a Neil Gaiman illustrated novel of the same name. Although certainly not a strict adaption it certainly has the basic outline and some of the scenes from the book wrapped up in a lighter fairytale. Shortening the journey through Stormhold from 6mths to 1 week makes the transformation of Tristan a tad unbelievable, but that's me nitpicking.

Tristan is a shy shopboy madly in love with the local beauty (Victoria). He lives in the villiage of Wall which is a gate between England and Stormhold (a faerie land). To win the heart of Victoria he agrees to fetch a fallen star from the world beyond the wall and return within a week.

What follows is a funny and charming adventure through a skewed fantasy world of evil witches, evil Princes battling for the throne, strange pirates and a fallen star who is really a girl.

Loved it. It's not a perfect film and I certainly thought it needs a different soundtrack as the one it has is far too loud and over the top as to be distracting.

The SFX are good, but spotty in a few areas.

The acting is mostly great with Claire Danes the georgeous fallen star, Michelle Pfiffer as the evil witch and Robert D Niro as a hard as nails pirate . Ricky Gervais appears as himself as usual and is mostly wasted.

Anyway, Certainly worth a watch.

4/5
Old 10-21-2007, 02:02 PM   #2938
Lazy Bee

The Manchurian Candidate

A really creepy story, kind of predictable but still interesting and scary/exciting.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #2939
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
The Manchurian Candidate
Which version?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #2940

Michael Clayton was a good movie, put together quite well. It's not particularly complex or thought provoking, but it intrigued and satisfied. Excellent performance by Tilda Swinton. It reminded me of Syriana in some ways, so if you liked that, you might like this. If dialog isn't enough to keep you interested, then this probably isn't for you. For me this was one of those movies where I like to sit through the credits while letting the movie settle in my head.

Last edited by lumi; 10-21-2007 at 07:31 PM.