Recent movies seen - Page 144 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #2861
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

It was turkey day for us. We watched Battlefield Earth (not a very good film at all- kind of a sloppy Sci Fi film that thinks it is better than it is)
and some Dungeons and Dragons film (also not very good at all- poor acting, inappropriate characters, cheap looking costumes and bad makeup). Ah well.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #2862
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Just got back from seeing Halloween. Rob Zombie should be outlawed from making anymore of these, lol. It was just wall-to-wall meaningless violence, with none of the suspense that makes the original a classic. The only entertainment we had was from naming all the actors who had brief cameos in it, lol. And there were tons.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #2863
Lazy Bee

Music and Lyrics- There were some fun lines but most of it was insufferably (is that a word?) predictable and cheesy. The character I enjoyed the most was Rhonda Fisher played by Kristen Johnston. She is a fabulous woman.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #2864
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Watched:

The Andromeda Strain - Very interesting film. Worth watching but quite long.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #2865
The Major Grubert.

I'm going to have to watch The Andromeda Strain again--I haven't seen it since it was first released in the early 70s.

Seen: Apocalypto: I liked it, it was fairly well done, though I feel no urge to see it again.

I feel that while it somewhat represented the culture and religion of their civilization, that was really a side thread to the macro-study of the tribulations of a single tribe, and perhaps even a single family. We were given only a glimpse of the ultimate leadership and their rites. Perhaps I was simply mislead by the title of this work, but I expected more on the subject of Mayan cultural demise.

I guess the film assumes of the audience that the human sacrifices were an attempt to curb the decline of their civilization.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #2866
I am the murderer...

Default Rob Zombie's Halloween

I saw Halloween recently because I just had to know and let me say this...SEE THE ORIGINAL!! Rob Zombie is an ass. This isn't the first time I've had to say this and it probably won't be the last. I'm not saying that his take on Halloween was bad, exactly. Just it wasn't good and it had no reason to exist in the first place. His is almost no different than the original (except he added in some crappy scenes that the film is better without anyway). He claimed he wanted to make the original better, but he changed almost nothing and the things he did change were for the worse. He gave Micheal Myers the sissiest, most pointless childhood ever, but luckily that ends before too long. If you can survive the first thirty minutes the movie is almost decent, but the original is way better.
Not only that, but it's almost as if Rob Zombie purposely looked for the worst actors of all time. Sheri Moon Zombie is cute and spirited, but a lot of people are and they can't all be actresses. Unfortunately she is one of these people who is not an actress; fortunately (for her only) however she is married to a man who casts her in every movie he makes, turning a blind eye to her obvious lack of talent. Her acting is almost as rigid and unconvincing as that of the boy who plays young Micheal Myers. Actually the only decent acting comes from the girl who plays Laurie and the man who plays adult Micheal Myers (Dr. Loomis isn't too bad). Everyone else is on the same level as a middle school drama club.
And why does everyone in a Rob Zombie film have to have long, greasy hair? I don't know where Rob Zombie comes from originally but in real life there are more people in the world than unwashed rednecks. Even Dr. Loomis is long-haired and dirty for half the film.
Overall, it was just barely a C-. Bordering on being a D. A half-assed remake of a film that didn't need remaking.
(And yes, in case you were wondering, Rob Zombie himself does appear in the film for a few minutes of inane dialogue and then happily vanishes from the movie. Surprisingly his acting was better than a lot of his cronies'.)

Last edited by TheZodiacSpeaking; 09-08-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #2867
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I'm going to have to watch The Andromeda Strain again--I haven't seen it since it was first released in the early 70s.

Seen: Apocalypto: I liked it, it was fairly well done, though I feel no urge to see it again.

I feel that while it somewhat represented the culture and religion of their civilization, that was really a side thread to the macro-study of the tribulations of a single tribe, and perhaps even a single family. We were given only a glimpse of the ultimate leadership and their rites. Perhaps I was simply mislead by the title of this work, but I expected more on the subject of Mayan cultural demise.

I guess the film assumes of the audience that the human sacrifices were an attempt to curb the decline of their civilization.
I think Apocalypto is one of the best new films I've seen in a very long time. The fact that we see the whole thing through the eyes of a few people outside of the Maya civilization is making it even more powerful according to me.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #2868
Cheese Pants King

Watched:

SARS Wars: Bangkok Zombie Crisis - No sir, I didn't like it... didn't like it at all. The slapstick comedy didn't work and neither did the cartoon sound effects. Didn't find it funny at all which is strange because alot of times I'm easily humored by stupid stuff.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #2869
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Grapes of Wrath

Wow!

Perfectly portrays the crap people had to endure during The Depression.

Really wanted to see the movie after Emily Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls made a comment about GoW when opening Rory's and Lorelai's fridge
Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #2870
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Grapes of Wrath
Perfectly portrays the crap people had to endure during The Depression.
Oh, were you there?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #2871
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Saw a wild movie today, a comedy-action film called Shoot Em Up. It was the craziest, funniest movie I've seen in quite some time.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #2872
Cheese Pants King

Watched:

Wind Chill: Excellent movie. Creepy movie with a great story and dialogue to go with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #2873
Freeware Co-ordinator

Ghostbusters.

It's aged a lot better than I thought it would have. I think the ghostly (i.e. see-through) quality of the effects possibly hides any flaws they have compared to modern stuff.

Plus, with it being the DVD release rather than the made for TV version it had all the slightly rude bits in that always get cut on telly.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #2874
The Major Grubert.

I never understood the slightly rude part where a ghost unzips Dan Ackroid's character... why would a ghost pleasure a ghost buster?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #2875
In an evening of July...

28 Weeks Later

... which, I must confess, I liked very much, and I consider it the best zombie movie I have ever seen. The shots of the empty city were amazing, and the gory parts in bright sunlight were very refreshing, too. The story itself is nothing new, but the way it was delivered made me shiver more than once. The "zombie-dad" parts however were way too overdramatized and overused.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #2876
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
28 Weeks Later

... which, I must confess, I liked very much, and I consider it the best zombie movie I have ever seen. The shots of the empty city were amazing, and the gory parts in bright sunlight were very refreshing, too. The story itself is nothing new, but the way it was delivered made me shiver more than once. The "zombie-dad" parts however were way too overdramatized and overused.
Have you seen "28 Days Later"?

I like the sequel too but it isn't nearly as good as the first one IMO, still decent though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal
I never understood the slightly rude part where a ghost unzips Dan Ackroid's character... why would a ghost pleasure a ghost buster?
Because ghosts have a hard time getting laid. Most people run away from you when you're, bleak, blue and floating above ground. Trust me, I know.

I saw 1408 a couple of days ago and liked it a lot. It's good to see that Håfström is on the right track again.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #2877
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

re: the "zipper" scene in Ghostbusters:

wasn't that also a dream sequence? It's been quite awhile since I've seen the film, but I thought I remembered it as a sex dream he was having...in which case, he was just letting his own imagination run wild, as the dream's protagonist.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #2878
The Major Grubert.

It could have been a "wet dream" (slimed, again!). I just remember him being in his own bed on the 2nd story of the firestation.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #2879
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Have you seen "28 Days Later"?

I like the sequel too but it isn't nearly as good as the first one IMO, still decent though.
I believe I've seen it, it must have been so shallow it left absolutely no impression.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 AM   #2880
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
re: the "zipper" scene in Ghostbusters:

wasn't that also a dream sequence? It's been quite awhile since I've seen the film, but I thought I remembered it as a sex dream he was having...in which case, he was just letting his own imagination run wild, as the dream's protagonist.
Yes, it's a dream sequence. Ray (Dan Akroyd's character) is crashed out after the Ghostbusters achieve enormous success (and hence are working their butts off)

Another note re the DVD. The commentary includes an option to have the three people commentating appear as silhouettes pointing up at the screen and generally moving about. Recreate that cinema experience of three a***holes standing up in front of you and talking about the movie loudly enough to drown the soundtrack out.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree