You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #2641

I just rented The Squid and The Whale --- which, surprisingly to me!, is a very good movie. I kind of expected another movie about husbands & wifes & how kids get hurt in the line of fire when their parents fight. But this movie was so much more.... I even bought a copy of it in a videostore - after I turned the rented movie in. Great movie

I wasn't expecting much when I loaded the Blade Runner Special Edition into my DVD machine. But boy, was I wrong This movie shines. The setting is great, and the colours used to portray the setting is awesome. They really portray a dark, somber, sinister and gloomy world...in which there really seems to be no hope.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #2642
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Transformers

Eh, don't really know what to say. It was a free showing today, so I jumped on the chance of a free movie, even though I don't know much about Transformers. I've seen about one or two episodes of one of the tv-series and had a friend when I was seven who owned some transformers, but not much more.

Have to say the cgi effects are stunning, seeing the transformers transform is quite a sight, and the ending was actually not what I expected, but I felt that I was watching a children's movie with grown-up action. The plot was very black and white, with some plot holes (but then again explaining alien robots isn't especially easy to do believable either), but in the end I enjoyed the 2 and a half hour film, without being bored or confused.

And I finally got an explanation to why there were some evil and some good robots on earth fighting each other in the series..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #2643
Lazy Bee

Yesterday: Star Wars episode 3. I hadn't seen it before so it was about time.
The part where Anakin actually turns to the dark side and particularely the part where he got burned actually moved me.

Today: Welcome to Collinwood. I had lots of laugh out loud moments from this crazy story. Seeing William H Macy with cool sideburns carrying a baby was great!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #2644
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Yesterday: Star Wars episode 3. I hadn't seen it before so it was about time.
The part where Anakin actually turns to the dark side and particularely the part where he got burned actually moved me.
I hate to invoke reality when it comes to fantasy films, but them floating around on rocks riding down lava flows that are thousands of degrees simply YANKED me into the world of disbelief.

Just this: Lucas had to reconcile with the Vader he had created decades earlier, and he came up with this? There could have been many, MANY better stories to explain how he eventually came to be the dark lord in his suit than this ridiculous ride down a lava flow. For one, it didn't have to happen all at once.

Yet one more example of where Lucas should not have written the screenplay for any episodes at all. He didn't write the first three, so he shouldn't have written the last three.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #2645
Kung Fu Code Poet

Now you're just being harsh... there are far worse things to complain about... like when George decided that the force would no longer be a mystic energy field, but rather something caused by a micro-organism called medichlorians... which, incidentally, sounds like one of those made up ingredients they always put in hair shampoo... you now... "New L'Oreal Plentitude... Now with Medichlorians (TM)"
Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #2646
The Major Grubert.

I suppose. I was also pretty disappointed by how quickly Palpatine became the physical image of Sidious that we first knew as the Emperor. That should have taken time. All connections to EP III and EP IV were wrapped up way too quickly
Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #2647
Kung Fu Code Poet

Some bad continuity errors too. Yoda walks into a room, smashes Palpy's guards against the wall and when Yoda and Palp starts fighting, the two guards' bodies are mysteriously gone.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #2648
Super Moderator

Have you seen the Robot Chicken Star Wars clips? Funny stuff!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #2649
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I hate to invoke reality when it comes to fantasy films, but them floating around on rocks riding down lava flows that are thousands of degrees simply YANKED me into the world of disbelief.
Oh I hate it when my feelings are being stepped on like that Specksie.
I can agree that the lava flow was too much, but I was talking about the part where Anakin is lying on the ground, defeated by Obi -wan and Obi-wan says something about them being brothers and Anakin screams I hate you.

In moments like that I forget about all the too much sword fighting and in this case unlikely scenario of a lava flow and two persons on the same piece of junk. It's ridiculous I know, but my heart flows over with compassion for the hateful, lost young man lying there.
Can't a woman be a little emotional on these forums without being lectured with reason and reality, damn it!

I'm not all that serious here Specksie, just a little......

Last edited by Jelena; 06-29-2007 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 AM   #2650
Kung Fu Code Poet

*sniff sniff* great speech... *clap clap clap*
Old 06-29-2007, 04:15 AM   #2651

I have just seen V for Vendetta ---- and I was like this

when I was finished watching the film

I couldn't believe the ending... (if you've seen, you'll know what I mean).

Anyway, the film had its own tone of somber melancholy to it, and I liked the fact the plot was revealed to you - while you were watching the film...

I don't like the ending much, but I still think it is a good film...

A film that makes you think - and that is indeed rare these days...

Last edited by aries323; 06-29-2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: edited a smiley
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #2652
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Now you're just being harsh... there are far worse things to complain about... like when George decided that the force would no longer be a mystic energy field, but rather something caused by a micro-organism called medichlorians... which, incidentally, sounds like one of those made up ingredients they always put in hair shampoo... you now... "New L'Oreal Plentitude... Now with Medichlorians (TM)"
So, with the right shampoo, I can become a Jedi? Excellent!

I found all three of the "earlier" episodes disappointing (I actually fell asleep during Attack of the Clones) Watching these films was almost as bad as watching remakes of some classics.
Quote:
Can't a woman be a little emotional on these forums without being lectured with reason and reality, damn it!
Woman being emotional alert!! Run for your lives!!!!!!

Oh, I am so dead when Jelena, Mel, Squinky, Jazhara7 and a whole host of other women see that. Fortunately I think I can avoid Mrs Urhan reading it.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #2653
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Kingdom of Heaven (in its Director's Cut flavour)

I quite liked this. It takes a while to get going, but it's a darn sight better than most of the historical epics I've seen.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #2654
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Woman being emotional alert!! Run for your lives!!!!!!

Oh, I am so dead when Jelena, Mel, Squinky, Jazhara7 and a whole host of other women see that. Fortunately I think I can avoid Mrs Urhan reading it.

Step, where are your manners? And emotional woman needs an arm around her shoulders and a comforting: - I understand.

Hrm...why won't the forum let me pan him?

Last edited by Jelena; 07-01-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: trying to pan Step, but it doesn't work
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #2655

I have just watched Transamericana --- a very good film about a very emotional woman who is ---- well, the title gives it sort of away

And she could have used the arm around her should and a soft 'I understand' in ears once or twice in her life...

Very good movie. I can't believe I didn't watch it sooner...

NB:
Give the main character a golden globe, an oscar, if they haven't already done that. The person portraying the main character is doing a really outstanding job...
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #2656
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:

Step, where are your manners? And emotional woman needs an arm around her shoulders and a comforting: - I understand.

Hrm...why won't the forum let me pan him?
< puts an arm around Jelena's shoulders.

I understand.

stepurhan

Worked for me without any problem. Tut! Women pan operators!!!

stepurhan

Thought I'd save some time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
I have just watched Transamericana --- a very good film about a very emotional woman who is ---- well, the title gives it sort of away

And she could have used the arm around her should and a soft 'I understand' in ears once or twice in her life...

Very good movie. I can't believe I didn't watch it sooner...

NB:
Give the main character a golden globe, an oscar, if they haven't already done that. The person portraying the main character is doing a really outstanding job...
That would be Felicity Huffman who also (IMHO) did sterling work in Desperate Housewives.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #2657
Super Moderator

She was nominated for a best actress Oscar for that role in 2006 but she lost to Reese Witherspoon.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #2658
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Kingdom of Heaven (in its Director's Cut flavour)

I quite liked this. It takes a while to get going, but it's a darn sight better than most of the historical epics I've seen.
Totally agree. The Director's Cut is FAR better than the theatrical version. It's a whole new movie. Those who have only seen the theatrical cut haven't really seen the movie. It's a great epic for sure.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #2659
Second Degree Black Belt

I went to go see the new movie "1408".

It is a horror movie about a guy that is searching for a good spook. He found it at the Dolphin Hotel.

Over all not a bad movie, I would defiantly wait until you could see it at a matinee price or wait for the DVD. If I had of paid full price for the movie then I would have upset.

Don't get me wrong not a bad movie over all; it was just the ending that wasn't that great.

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #2660
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Totally agree. The Director's Cut is FAR better than the theatrical version. It's a whole new movie. Those who have only seen the theatrical cut haven't really seen the movie. It's a great epic for sure.
I can't compare them, I'm afraid, since I never saw the original theatrical cut. The DC is definitely worth watching, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.