You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #2601

I just saw 300. Pretty artistic.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:05 PM   #2602
OUATIJ Creator

I saw Knocked Up, but I'm not in the mood to do a full review. GREAT movie though. Totally surprising. Wow. It's more than just a comedy, though it does that part of its job extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Letters from Iwo Jima.
I've not seen 'Flags' yet but I suppose I must now since they're always compared. I really didn't find much of it original and it didn't have half the impact that Grave of the Fireflies had for me.
If you didn't like Letters, stay away from Flags. Letters was much, much better. So, basically, you'll probably end up, I dunno, blowing yourself up with a grenade if you force yourself to sit through Flags.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #2603
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Went to go see Mr. Brooks, based on some positive reviews I've read. It was almost a good thriller, but they needed to leave out one subplot, and end the film one scene early. Good performances, though: they at least tried to make it all work.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #2604

Battle Royale - it was good.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #2605
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Don't watch the sequel.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #2606
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Certainly do watch the sequel.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #2607
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Oceans 13 - It was great, same as 11 & 12 just more of it, which is good.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #2608
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

88 minutes - A little bit predictable but ok. Generally speaking not so bad.
7/10
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 06-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #2609
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Okay...this is terribly embarrassing... We saw The Reaping this morning. I wanted to put a bag over my head upon leaving the theatre.

We also saw Amazing Grace, which was an enjoyable biopic of William Wilberforce.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #2610
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

No movies this time but the amazing HBO's Deadwood!

Saw season 1-3 in 2 weeks time. One of the greatest shows ever!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #2611
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Accepted 5/10
Like all other movies, same jokes, characters... Nothing special. Actually, I was asking myself the other day why I haven't watched comedy in last about years...I found out yesterday.
Wishlist: Belief & Betrayal, Gabriel Knight Series, Black Dahlia ...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #2612
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

4/10

Okay, I liked the movie. I can't deny that. But it was just too long, and it outdid itself with the special effects. It proves that when Disney throws the writers and director a budget the size of the Royal Treasury, things don't always come out good. Or even acceptable.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 AM   #2613
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
No movies this time but the amazing HBO's Deadwood!

Saw season 1-3 in 2 weeks time. One of the greatest shows ever!
Yes, yes, yes! Possibly the best written show (not counting certain miniseries) ever made. Absolutely brilliant! I wish it wasn't over. :-(

There is talk about HBO doing two follow up, straight to cable movies at two hours a piece that will tie up loose ends and give the story some closure. I hope this really happens, that show is just fantastic. LOVE me some Al Swearengen and George Hearst! And E.B. Farnum! :-P

Anyway, that's funny that you say you finished Season 1-3 in two weeks. At an hour a piece and 12 episodes to a season, that's 36 hours of material you shot through in two weeks. I think I've got that beat though (sadly enough, right?). I believe 24 may be the most addictive show ever made. Not the best, not the most well written, and certainly not the most realistic...but the most addictive? In my opinion, yes.

Anyway, those shows have commercials (edited out of the DVDs) so the episodes aren't actually a full hour like Deadwood is. However, each season is 24 episodes, instead of 12. It works out to about 18 hours of viewing per season, multiplied by 5 seasons, that's 90 hours. Last year I watched all 90 hours of 24 in a month! It was nearly impossible to stop. My uncle compares the series to crack, ha ha.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #2614
Biomechanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain View Post
Yes, yes, yes! Possibly the best written show (not counting certain miniseries) ever made. Absolutely brilliant! I wish it wasn't over. :-(

There is talk about HBO doing two follow up, straight to cable movies at two hours a piece that will tie up loose ends and give the story some closure. I hope this really happens, that show is just fantastic. LOVE me some Al Swearengen and George Hearst! And E.B. Farnum! :-P
Al & Jane are my fav characters! I laughed my ass off when Commissioner Jarry is jailed and asks Calamity Jane for something to drink:

Jarry: I'm thirsty!
Jane: Lie on your back, take aim and piss!

There are so many brilliant lines in this show

Quote:
Anyway, that's funny that you say you finished Season 1-3 in two weeks. At an hour a piece and 12 episodes to a season, that's 36 hours of material you shot through in two weeks.
I watched about 2 episodes a day. One when I was having dinner and one before I went to bed Unfortunately, the eps of season 3 are around 45 mins instead of 60 mins, so it's about 30 hours of material in 2 weeks

Quote:
Anyway, those shows have commercials (edited out of the DVDs) so the episodes aren't actually a full hour like Deadwood is. However, each season is 24 episodes, instead of 12. It works out to about 18 hours of viewing per season, multiplied by 5 seasons, that's 90 hours. Last year I watched all 90 hours of 24 in a month! It was nearly impossible to stop. My uncle compares the series to crack, ha ha.
Ok, 90 hours in a month is nice

Speaking of impossible to stop, I can't stop watching Scrubs! I've seen every episode about 3 times and still I keep watching it... Man, I love Scrubs!

Other fav series: The Gilmore Girls!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #2615
Elegantly copy+pasted

I also recently finished the third season of Deadwood (though in my case it took me a couple of months to get through the show). It is quite brilliant, isnt' it? And it's nice to see Brad Dourif and William Sanderson in something good again. The audacity of ultimately making Al Swearengen the closest thing the show has to a hero amazed me; I mean, this is a guy who is involved in the slaughter of an entire innocent family in the opening episode.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #2616
Biomechanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
The audacity of ultimately making Al Swearengen the closest thing the show has to a hero amazed me; I mean, this is a guy who is involved in the slaughter of an entire innocent family in the opening episode.
Yeah, amazing isn't it! I think that is one of the strong points of the show. Compared to the other bad guys Al ain't that bad... Ok, he
Spoiler:
bitchslapped Trixie, killed Alma Garret's husband to get a goldclaim, has a commissionair's throat cut, kills "one-of-his-own" to get back into grace with chinese mob boss Wu etc etc, but he also kills the Reverend so the doesn't suffer anymore, forms a "government" and does everything he can to prevent Hearst from taking over town and also to save his own ass

The other characters are kinda worse... Toliver is plain evil, Farnum is a conniving little bastard that begs for mercy when he's caught and Bullock should take some anger management classes.

It's just brilliant writing with an amazing and charismatic cast! Hopefully the 2 planned tv movies live up to my expectations...
Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #2617
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Pulp Fiction
Bleh.. Had to see it so that we could continue our top 250 list. Still don't see why people say that it's one of the greatest films ever made. ironically I had to upgrade it after watching "get Shorty"..
(I walked out of the room for the duration of the shop scene. Seen it once, don't want to see it again..)
6/10
(But I do recognise the fact that he made a whole new genre with Reservoir Dogs and PF, and that he should get credit and respect for that. But comparing him with Charles Dickens.. *shudder*)
-Next film is Shindler's List (Why can't people like nice, happy movies..)

The Iron Giant
Wooo! *jumps up and down and claps her hands*
Okay..
I'm one of the few people that's not that fond of "the incredibles", especially after seeing the special features, and hearing how he really wanted to portray the family, and his thoughts of the story he made. We are supposed to feel sorry for this smuck who treats his family like that? And his wife is the bad guy? But anyway, I wasn't especially fond of Brad Bird after that, and that was one of the reasons for why I hesitated with viewing this film.

I'm glad I finally saw it, it's a beautiful film, and I had big problems holding the tears back at several occasions. I think it would have been better if they didn't show the ending screen, either ending it before the arrival of the screw, or just after.

Still
9/10

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #2618
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Iron Giant is great. Vin Diesel is the voice of the Iron Giant btw.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #2619
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Rocky
Much, much better than I was expecting (I'm entirely uninterested in boxing). I'm still not entirely sure why I bought it, and I had to turn the subtitles on after about five minutes, but it was enjoyable enough. Bring on the rest of the series, by the end of which I'm sure I will be sick of the thing.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #2620
The Major Grubert.

Rounders. I quite enjoyed this, thanks to Edward Norton and not a bad performance from Matt Damon as well. I agree with IMDb's rating.