Recent movies seen - Page 120 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #2381

The Bourne Supremacy - a good thriller, although the constant cutting of shots was annoying. I'm ready for the third movie.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #2382
The Major Grubert.

I liked the 1st, a bit luke warm on the 2nd, but I too am looking forward to the 3rd Bourne installment to see if they do it justice.

I saw Lady in the Water 2 nights ago. I wish I hadn't sent it back to Netflix the next morning--I would watch it again tonight to decide if I liked it or not. It had some excellent performances, but I'm not sure it gelled for me. Second viewing should tell.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #2383

Dodgeball: a true underdog story - it was okay. Vincent Vaugn (or his character) was uninteresting compared to Ben Stiller, so that movie tended to worse when he was on screen.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:10 AM   #2384
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

I caught the last hour of The Passion of the Christ last night. Wow, that was gory. I should probably see it from the start to really decide if I liked it, though. I've seen that actor in many other films, and I don't think I'd have recognized him if I didn't know beforehand who it was.

re: Lady in the Water and Bourne Supremacy...loved the story structure of Lady in the Water. The idea of constructing a fairy tale in a contemporary setting like that was pretty intriguing. The Bourne movies I enjoy immensely, but what they did with the Marie character ruined it a bit for me.

Oh, and Dodgeball is one of my favorite "goofball" movies, and one I love to quote. Especially Rip Torn and Ben Stiller's lines. I used to crack up my friends by grumbling, "F*ckin' Chuck Norris!" lol
Old 04-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #2385

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
The Bourne movies I enjoy immensely, but what they did with the Marie character ruined it a bit for me.
Spoiler:
It didn't bother me that she was killed off right away, because the romance part of the first movie wasn't all that great. I didn't want to see another love scene tacked on just because that's not what makes these movies good.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #2386

I just watched American Haunting, it was pretty good, not sure how true it is and how much truth they based it on but I enjoyed it..very well filmed.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #2387
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Azumi - I thought this film had some awsome sequences and one or two iffy ones. The bad guy is really twisted and evil and very disturbing. And this movie is rated 18 for a good reason, some of those fight scenes made me seriously cringe. Like slicing a line around someones chest and watching it it ease off his body for example. I really cared for the characters too, and the start of the movie really doesnt waste time with advancing the plot, its got a bit of a sad start but I dont ruin anything. Highly recommended, go see it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #2388
The Threadô will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Think about that for a moment and then inform me what that tells you about religion.
It probably tells you whatever you want it to tell you; you can see it as utterly wrong that such imagery is acceptable when defended from a religious perspective, or you can see it as an important statement on Christ's suffering for our sins...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #2389
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just saw Entrapment as it was tonight's movie on tv.

Catherine Zeta-Jones' bum, oh yes. That about sums up that movie...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #2390

That was my favorite part too.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #2391

Phone Booth - what a disappointing movie. The ending was even less interesting than in Lucky Number Slevin.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #2392
Kung Fu Code Poet

Phone Booth is an allegory of American abuse of power in the world. Watch it again, but put the sniper as America, and the asshole in the phone booth as some small country being threatened with war because of their activities.

The ending of the film really does not matter. Hardly a good film on without knowing the allegory.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #2393
Kung Fu Code Poet

I have also read people interpret the sniper as a God allegory, but I guess either works.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #2394
Hitch-Hiker

The Corpse Bride

Its actually refreshing from watching movies like Meet the Robinsons, this movie was clever and fun, and not for a moment does it feel like its dragging on. Its a nice movie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #2395

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacog View Post
Phone Booth is an allegory of American abuse of power in the world. Watch it again, but put the sniper as America, and the asshole in the phone booth as some small country being threatened with war because of their activities.
I have a hard time seeing this, but it still wouldn't be a good movie with that in mind. The movies script felt like a basic thriller, and nothing more. The director should have done more with it if he wanted to make people think about the allegory.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #2396
delusions of adequacy

I made the 'mistake' of watching Grave of the Fireflies. I say mistake because I'm still cut up from watching it. A couple of times I just wanted to stop the film, but its so beautiful I could not.

Its a hard film to recommend watching, you really have to want to see it to get through it all I imagine so I'll just say, try not to watch it alone.

I don't know if there's a dubbed version but if so, avoid it.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #2397
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

This past weekend we saw Mr. Bean's Holiday and Happily N'Ever After or whatever its name is.

The former was pretty much what you would expect. I laughed and it was a pleasant outing with chuckles and popcorn and all that.
The latter film however, suffered from what I can only describe as CGitis...it was pretty derivative and uncreative and I detested the heroine. What a zero. The mandatory love interest was pouty and annoying. There wasn't much to like about it.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #2398
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Shortbus, I like the style, it's a great format for character driven stories. The real sex was refreshing, there's definitely something achieved that couldn't be with simulation. I didn't really understand James for the most part, but I felt the other characters were well realized.

A History of Violence, a powerful film about violence. Our ability to use violence, the motives, and how we deal with violence.

Garden State, the soundtrack has the Thievery Corp, Zero 7, and Frou Frou in it, all prominent in my music collection, and they're really used to great effect. This movie is funny, thought provoking, and just cool. I loved the characters, they just made me smile, and there were moments where I could contemplate what they were feeling, they were like real people. Sunshine jelly.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #2399
The Threadô will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Catch Me If You Can
A fun piece of fluff, but I doubt that I'll watch it again in a hurry.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #2400
Hitch-Hiker

I was blown away by this movie, seriously one of the finest action movies I've seen in a long time. Every scene has somehting special.

Highly recommended.

_