You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #2361
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Some surprise endings/plot twists I liked:

-Joy Ride
-Shattered (I think that was the name of it...starred Tom Berenger)
-Shallow Grave
-When a Stranger Calls Back
Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #2362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Spoiler:
With the girl going "home" and stuff. The ending would have been more powerful (=sad) if she was "just" killed. It was still a kind of happy ending...
Spoiler:
I prefer the ending how it is, so it leaves it ambiguous whether the girl was making up the fairy tale to deal with her problems or whether it was a real place. I found it pretty sad, myself.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #2363

Three Colors - today I watched the last part of this series. The movies were interesting, but I came out of them knowing nothing. I have no idea what the director was trying to say. I think I'll have to watch these again someday.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #2364
The Major Grubert.

A Scanner Darkly
Old 04-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #2365
Psychonaut

Sunshine

A Sci-Fi movie from Danny Boyle (28 days later/Trainspotting). Our sun is dying and 8 astronauts are on a mission to deliver a payload to re-ignite the sun and save mankind.

A strange mixture of "The Core" meets the moody "Event Horizon" and a dash of "2001" WTF all mixes together to make this movie.

Most of the time it works fine. It's tense, claustrophobic and visually stunning.

What ruins the film for me was the last 20 minutes where the film descends into a pretentious mess of WTF is going on.

For a low budget film (About $40m) the visuals are amazing and without any real major star in the movie (Chis Evans steals the show from Cillian Murphy for me) they had to.

Shame about the ending.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #2366
In an evening of July...

The trailer sure looked impressive (it is the one with a weird umbrella-shaped spaceship, isn't it?), I'll have to watch it sometime soon. Also, the trailer has a great soundtrack, I wonder what it is.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #2367
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Yesterday my niece and nephews had a snow day, so I brought them to see Meet the Robinsons. It was cute, pretty funny, but the film spends very little time with "the Robinsons", so characters felt a little shallow. But the kids loved it, so it's all good, lol.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #2368

Send a message via MSN to Mayboy

Mr Bean's Holiday and 300, both very good indeed.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #2369
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Miss Potter: very good, enjoyable, creative bio pic...a nice, pastoral English type film.

300: Visually stunning but a disaster in all other respects...made very dull and boring due to crap script and weak story line. It's all art and no story.

Bridge To Terabithia: A refreshing kids' movie that doesn't feature a single fart joke! Enjoyed this very much...intelligent and melancholy like the book was.

Ghost Rider: Ummm...what can one say about a ghostly stunt rider from Texas? It was pretty silly and I laughed each time his head caught fire. Still...I enjoyed it.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #2370
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Flushed Away
The worst of the Dreamworks/Aardman partnership, but I still enjoyed it. A darn sight better than many an animated film.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #2371
Life and times of...

Recently I went on a rent spree (well, in my scale) and I've watched Borat, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Da Vinci Code. Still need to see the new Bond (for some reason I've scared away from actually going to the movies, though maybe that's because of the unbelievably superior quality of our movie theater...

I can't see why people have been (excuse me if this is an over-statement) thrashing Da Vinci Code. I mean, I think it does its job - it depicts the book just fine. You can't expect it to be something ground-breaking. Sure they left some things (mainly tensions) out, but I don't see that being such a horrible thing. And the actors did a nice job too (you know, when I read the book and imagined Bezu Fache, it was that very actor that I related him to...)

And the rest of the movies were good too Borat of course and while Pirates... was more darker than the first one in my opinion (and it felt a bit different otherwise too) it still delivered what it promised well. And Johnny Depp's acting is of course fantastic as Jack Sparrow, and I especially love his bawdy jokes that he can make without actually saying anything (just with the expressions in response to comments - they're all over the place and I probably missed like a half of them).

(I really shouldn't write late at night )
Old 04-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #2372
Club a seal or two

Grindhouse! The best movie going experience I've had in a long while
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #2373

How was it horror wise? I keep hearing that it's a horror, but the trailer doesn't really make it seem that way, at most an intentionally campy horror that's funny.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #2374
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
Grindhouse! The best movie going experience I've had in a long while
I'm really looking forward to those two movies (they will be released seperately here for some odd reason).

Have anyone seen Apocalypto? A very good movie.

300 was all right, but to bad the entire movie was one long battle and nothing more.

The movie-adaption of Perfume worked suprisingly well too (but still not a masterpiece by any means).

Last edited by Henke; 04-06-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #2375
Club a seal or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
How was it horror wise? I keep hearing that it's a horror, but the trailer doesn't really make it seem that way, at most an intentionally campy horror that's funny.
They're not scary at all. Both movies bear strong signatures of their respective directors, but exaggerated to the point that they're (intentionally) hilarious. In Rodriguez's case, it means pure campfest. I cannot imagine anybody not liking these movies. really.

edit: oh yeah, for those not familiar with Grindhouse (not that it's possible to escape from all the buzz it's getting), it's a campy 60's/70's style double feature with lots of fake movie trailers thrown in between. The trailers are also classic.

Last edited by Jayel; 04-06-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 AM   #2376
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Also, the [Sunshine] trailer has a great soundtrack, I wonder what it is.
Clint Mansell's incredible theme from Requiem for a Dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I'm really looking forward to those two movies (they will be released seperately here for some odd reason).
Yeah, the same in the whole Europe, I believe. I wonder if this means we'll never be shown the fake trailers from the interlude, too.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #2377
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

I saw 300 yesterday, brilliant setting, the photography was superb. Although, the story was a little lame, but like I said, the setting was amazing!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #2378
capsized.

The Passion Of The Christ.

Jesus Christ. No matter your believes (if at all), your own personal agenda or whatever, aesthetically there's some remarkable scenes in there...
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #2379
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
The Passion Of The Christ.

Jesus Christ. No matter your believes (if at all), your own personal agenda or whatever, aesthetically there's some remarkable scenes in there...
It's an interesting one. I saw it last summer, and am in two minds about it. On the one hand, it's very well made, and on the other it's a two-hour torture movie. I do wonder if anybody would ever have agreed to distribute it if it hadn't been a religious work.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #2380
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
...and on the other it's a two-hour torture movie. I do wonder if anybody would ever have agreed to distribute it if it hadn't been a religious work.
Think about that for a moment and then inform me what that tells you about religion.