You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #2321
DAVE

Just watched 300. AWESOME.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #2322
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
If you like CGI, you should check out Renaissance (2006).
cheers dude!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #2323
The Major Grubert.

I watched On The Beach (1959) last night, first time since I was a kid. This really a good, classic film. It's a dated post-nuclear-war era fantasy, but I couldn't help wondering if it could stand a re-make.

It's probably the film with the best Fred Astair dramatic performance I've ever seen. Gregory Peck was excellent. Anthony Perkins was okay, in this film the year prior to Psycho. I've never seen the appeal in Ava Gardner, but all in all, everyone did a splendid job.

Too bad nobody had an Aussie accent.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 AM   #2324
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I watched On The Beach (1959) last night, first time since I was a kid. This really a good, classic film. It's a dated post-nuclear-war era fantasy, but I couldn't help wondering if it could stand a re-make.

It's probably the film with the best Fred Astair dramatic performance I've ever seen. Gregory Peck was excellent. Anthony Perkins was okay, in this film the year prior to Psycho. I've never seen the appeal in Ava Gardner, but all in all, everyone did a splendid job.

Too bad nobody had an Aussie accent.
Is that the one where they're in a sub, unsure of whether the world's been devastated by radiation, and the song "Waltzing Matilda" is used to evoke sadness? My dad used to RAVE about how good that movie was.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #2325
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSuitedLooney View Post
Is that the one where they're in a sub, unsure of whether the world's been devastated by radiation, and the song "Waltzing Matilda" is used to evoke sadness? My dad used to RAVE about how good that movie was.
Yup. Remember when it came out though--it had to be much more impressive during the middle of the cold war.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #2326
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Yeah, the way Dad describes it, he was a kid when he saw it, and the scene at the end where they play that song made him bawl his eyes out. lol.

Oh, and I had a VERY stressful day, so I decided to take myself out to dinner n a movie. The movie was the new Adam Sandler drama Reign Over Me. Very good film, he always amazes me when he does dramatic roles.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #2327
Psychonaut

300 Buff, half naked Spartens against the might of the 100,000 strong Persian army.

A movie of contrasting feelings.

Certainly a movie of style over substance. A Testosterone fueled action movie with more six-packs on display than our local walmart.

Didn't stop me enjoying it though.

Shallow and ever so loopey, but fun never the less.

With this much bare male flesh on the screen maybe I sould nominate it in Dasilva's gay movie thread
Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #2328
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

300 Buff, half naked Spartens against the might of the 100,000 strong Persian army.

A movie of contrasting feelings.

Certainly a movie of style over substance. A Testosterone fueled action movie with more six-packs on display than our local walmart.

Didn't stop me enjoying it though.

Shallow and ever so loopey, but fun never the less.

With this much bare male flesh on the screen maybe I sould nominate it in Dasilva's gay movie thread
Bare chests?! Sixpack?! 300 of them?! Of course.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #2329
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The Prestige, as others have said, the mysteries of the ultimate magic tricks are far too easy to deduce. Not impressed with the acting, but Michael Caine was pretty good. The introduction of steampunk elements was perhaps not as gradual as I would have liked. I didn't enjoy it, perhaps it was because I didn't like most of the characters.

Shooting Dogs, like Hotel Rwanda, is a movie set in the Rwandan genocide of 1994. It has a lot of similarities with Hotel Rwanda, but there are key differences. The film is a lot more gritty, there's a lot of gruesome violence, the dialogue, acting, and filming is a lot less stylized and dramatic. Following two British men gives a bit of a disconnect, the genocide isn't happening to the main protagonists, the movie feels more like an observation than being in a genocide. Claire-Hope Ashitey is great in this movie, I hope she gets better roles after Children of Men.

Hollywoodland, Ben Affleck and Adrien Brody are excellent in this movie about George Reeves's death.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #2330

Little Miss Sunshine - it was pretty good. Nothing I could really connect to, but it still kept me interested.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #2331
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Little Miss Sunshine - it was pretty good. Nothing I could really connect to, but it still kept me interested.
This film was surprisingly good, not one I must own or see again, but I'd sit in front of it again if it happened.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #2332
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
This film was surprisingly good, not one I must own or see again, but I'd sit in front of it again if it happened.
Didn't know what to expect from LMS, but fortunately I was pleasantly surprised.

I really loved the ending! Pretty bold and funny

Last night, I saw Bridge to Terabithia. After seeing the trailer, I thought the movie was going to be a "childrens movie" like Chronicles of Narnia or something. Well, a childrens movie it aint!

Still not sure if I like it or not...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 AM   #2333
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've recently rewatched the Die Hard trilogy. They're good fun, though the censored version of Die Hard With a Vengeance is a bit disappointing in places.

And I have a nagging suspicion that this year's new installment is going to be mediocre at best...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #2334
Biomechanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
And I have a nagging suspicion that this year's new installment is going to be mediocre at best...
I think you are right...

I also don't like the setting. Internet based terrorism and hackers... Although it is contemporary I've never seen a movie in which they realisticly/convincingly used computer/internet technology
Old 03-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #2335
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Mind you, I've just heard about Alien vs Predator 2, and suddenly Die Hard 4.0 is looking like a good bet!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #2336
Party On Dudes

today i watched 300 and TMNT

both were scriptualy appauling/corny and very fun to watch. three or four stars each, depending on my mood

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 PM   #2337
Biomechanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Mind you, I've just heard about Alien vs Predator 2, and suddenly Die Hard 4.0 is looking like a good bet!
I kinda liked AVP

Not saying that is was a good movie but it wasn't as bad as say Alone In The Dark or House Of The Dead...

+

AVP2 is done by 2 guys who did the artwork or something on 300 so if AVP2 is going to suck, it will at least look good doing so...
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 AM   #2338
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

8/10

I was very sceptical to this movie at first, most of the animal movies I've seen tend to portray the main characters rather stupidly, but when it started and I heard that the horses didn't speak, it just went uphill, and the animation of their movements were amazing.
There's still some things I think they could have done differently, I wish they'd drawn the horses even more realistically, and that they'd cut the narration. I would also have liked it to be a bit darker, more mature, more like watership down (which actually is a good movie, even though they talk), as shown in some of the original storyboards.

But, a very moving story, and a very good view of horses and animals in whole..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #2339
The Thread™ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
I kinda liked AVP

Not saying that is was a good movie but it wasn't as bad as say Alone In The Dark or House Of The Dead...
I hate to say it, but I actually quite enjoyed it too.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #2340

Meh. Some parts are great (the fighting scenes among them, mercifully), but most of it is just embarassing.

I liked Sin City a lot more, which is a real paradox for someone like me, who love greek history.

As a side note, I'm currently watching Rome (season one). Now that's an excellent take on Antiquity.