Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent movies seen (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/9181-recent-movies-seen.html)

Talas 09-05-2005 10:57 AM

I finally watched Brazil... oh my god, this movie is a masterpiece. Being a Terry Gilliam fan, I had to slap myself after the credits for not watching it sooner.

squarejawhero 09-05-2005 11:05 AM

Ring 2, which was better than Ringu 2 but not as good as The Ring or Ringu. Scary little girls have lost their sheen a bit, but that said did pull some corking moments out of the bag and had some great cinematography. I've read a lot of complaints that the concept behind Sadako leaping to save herself was a bit much to grasp, but she's a wierd demon-thing so it never bothered me and he conclusion and what was required seemed straightforward enough. Sadako's final appearence was tops, although essentially it all felt like a bit of a rerun.

Can't seem to find any worthwhile horrors lately... although I hear The Descent (not the godawful The Cave), Hostel and Wolf Creek are pretty damn good. Still haven't seen Cabin Fever either, but heard so many bad things about it I can't be bothered.

Kolzig 09-05-2005 01:01 PM

He hey! I just watched Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

It's Trekkie time!

Melanie68 09-05-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolzig
He hey! I just watched Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

It's Trekkie time!

I hope you have time to watch Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country. That was a good one as well (better than some of the movies in between II and VI)

Live long and prosper!
:)

squarejawhero 09-05-2005 01:15 PM

I watched Jaws for the second time in a row. I'm crazy for that film.

Lucien21 09-05-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
I hope you have time to watch Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country. That was a good one as well (better than some of the movies in between II and VI)

Live long and prosper!
:)

Just as long as you skip no 5 :pan: :pan:

RLacey 09-05-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Just as long as you skip no 5 :pan: :pan:

Nah, The Voyage Home is the worst for being completely and utterly naff and trying way too hard to be amusing.

But don't miss The Undiscovered Country. Quite possibly the greatest of the Star Trek movies :).

Melanie68 09-05-2005 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Nah, The Voyage Home is the worst for being completely and utterly naff and trying way too hard to be amusing.

http://www.montereybaywhalewatch.com...res/nb0013.jpg

Quote:

But don't miss The Undiscovered Country. Quite possibly the greatest of the Star Trek movies :).
Cool movie! :)

Once A Villain 09-05-2005 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omloflump
I thought the opposite. The substance behind the movie isn't all that impressive; it's the style that makes it any good, as is the case in the comic books.

Yup. Exactly.

Intrepid Homoludens 09-05-2005 09:30 PM

Just finally saw Like Water For Chocolate tonight. Sweet. And Spicy.

Captain Blondebeard 09-05-2005 09:48 PM

I havent read this entire thread but I loved Batman Begins.

Melanie68 09-05-2005 10:38 PM

I was watching Turner Classic Movies tonight (love that channel) and they showed Le Corbeau. I had never heard of it but I am a sucker for foreign movies and it was fantastic!! It involves a French village in which numerous poison pen letters penned by Le corbeau (the raven) arise suspicions of a new doctor in town. The emotions it highlights (suspicion, mob mentality, fear) make the film really hold up 62 years later!

http://frenchfilms.topcities.com/1943_Le_corbeau.jpg

Kolzig 09-06-2005 05:22 AM

Hey hey, I have seen all the Trek movies countless times before except the latest 10th movie, which I haven't yet seen at all. :)
But I agree that IV and V are the worst movies of the original crew era. TNG era's worst is definitely Insurrection, the ninth movie. My favourites are the second and the sixth from the original crew era and then First Contact from the TNG era.

All the movies special editions from 1 to 8 are currently on sale at a local store, I immediately bought the first two movies, but I'm going to buy all of them as soon as I can.

Ninth 09-06-2005 06:05 AM

I saw Appleseed the other day, and found it extremely impressive and rather fun, even though the story isn't that profound and it's a bit too fighting-centered.

And sunday I went to see The Jacket, which I loved. Griping, strong, sometimes funny, and sometimes sad, but never too complacent.

natalia 09-06-2005 06:25 AM

Just saw “The Coca-Cola Kid”, directed by Dusan Makavejev. I’m hoping this is the last movie we watch from this director just because my fiance took a class from him.

The movie is about a corporate exec sent to Australia to boost Coke sales. Dusan is still playing with his themes about the evils of western corporate imperialism, and there are some humorous touches, but Dusan’s great sensual eye and Greta Scacchi’s playful sexiness are just completely lost because Eric Robert is such a dud as the main character. He can play the corporate a**hole part, but can’t handle his character’s development at all.

Sage 09-06-2005 06:52 AM

Two:
The-movie-with-Drew-Barrymore-and-Jimmy-Fallon-about-a-psychotic-Red-Sox-fan-finding-love (sorry, I can't remember the name)- Although it had the expected excellent soundtrack, it wasn't at all up to the usual Farrelly brother's standard. I would have been better off watching "Kingpin" or "Shallow Hal" again.
"Madagascar"- Not great, but not bad. An off-beat storyline and peculiar animation that was at once photorealistic and cartoonish made it visually interesting, but the high point of the movie was an animated chimp communicating in actual, legible, American Sign Language such as deaf people use. This must have been absolute Hell to animate, and I doubt few people besides myself even noticed this detail.

ScottMate

Ninth 09-06-2005 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Two:
The-movie-with-Drew-Barrymore-and-Jimmy-Fallon-about-a-psychotic-Red-Sox-fan-finding-love (sorry, I can't remember the name)- Although it had the expected excellent soundtrack, it wasn't at all up to the usual Farrelly brother's standard.

I found it cute... but then again, I watched in on the plane.

Sage 09-06-2005 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
I found it cute... but then again, I watched in on the plane.

Me too!
I've just come to expect a certain level of grossness from the Farrelly brothers ("Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Shallow Hal") and a willingness to focus on character's less-attractive attributes, and other than Drew's Dad's horrifying foray into cheap hair color, this movie let me down.
Watching it did beat looking at the top side of clouds for an hour and a half, though.

ScottMate

natalia 09-06-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

Me too!
I've just come to expect a certain level of grossness from the Farrelly brothers ("Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Shallow Hal") and a willingness to focus on character's less-attractive attributes, and other than Drew's Dad's horrifying foray into cheap hair color, this movie let me down.
Watching it did beat looking at the top side of clouds for an hour and a half, though.

ScottMate

It's called Fever Pitch, I think. My fiance and I were this close to being extras at the game scenes. But, it had been a long game and we were too tired to stick it out. We still haven't seen it, but I'm sure it'll pop up at some family gathering or other, seeing as how my fiance's family are all huge red socks fans.

Ninth 09-06-2005 09:45 AM

Quote:

Me too!

ScottMate

In fact, had I known it was a Farrelly movie, I would have expected sometihng else entierly, but I though it was just another romantic comedy (which it is), and as such wasn't disappointed.

EDIT: Of course, now that I think about it, the cuteness of Drew Barrymore probably increased the "cuteness" factor of the entire movie.