Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Avast! Anyone use it? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/9117-avast-anyone-use.html)

SakSquash 07-09-2005 02:02 PM

Avast! Anyone use it?

It's the free antivirus everyone is telling me about. Download.com has it and it has gotten good reviews but before I install it I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if they use it or not and if they like it.

NuttyGal 07-09-2005 02:43 PM

My mum uses AVG and a software name Scan Spyware! They both work well! AVG we have had for a longer period of time but since we have use scan spyware we are finding that it is much easier to get rid of any virus that may come along

As for Avast i havent heard about it so i wouldn't know which one is the best to use!

Ninth 07-09-2005 02:45 PM

I'm using Avast, and I've had no problem with it so far.

SakSquash 07-09-2005 03:00 PM

Wick. I'll check it out.

Watcher of the skies 07-09-2005 03:07 PM

I'm using CounterSpy. Haven't had a problem, yet.

Mike

Sage 07-09-2005 05:25 PM

I have no use for that sort of thing, but thanks for the link anyway

ScottMate

SakSquash 07-09-2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I have no use for that sort of thing, but thanks for the link anyway

ScottMate

No? Is the high and mighty Scott above getting viruses?

Aj_ 07-09-2005 06:08 PM

Macs don't get Virii *snigger*

SakSquash 07-09-2005 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Macs don't get Virii *snigger*

Ha, that's such crap. I have nothing against macs, but I hate how they claim that their comps are "crash free" and all that crap. I work in a computer lab while in school, and all the computers are macs; we're ALWAYS having problems with them.

Sage 07-09-2005 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ha, that's such crap. I have nothing against macs, but I hate how they claim that their comps are "crash free" and all that crap. I work in a computer lab while in school, and all the computers are macs; we're ALWAYS having problems with them.

Aj_ is correct; There has yet to be a single proven virus caught by a Macintosh.
I never claimed Macs were "crash-free". User error, lack of maintenance, and sheer pig-headed stupidity will make any computer crash. As a matter of fact, that very situation is what led me to utter my signature quote. A friend of mine kept trying to see if software that wasn't recommended for his ancient Mac could be made to work on it anyway by nefarious means.
Macs are not Wintel boxes, nor are Wintel boxes Macs, and trying to apply solutions that work on Wintel boxes to Macs is a pretty good way to screw things up as well. In a computer lab, where many people of varying skill levels use the computers on a daily basis, solving problems and repairing what idiots have "fixed" is just part of the day's business.
Should you have questions or need assistance with the Macs at your school, post your problem here: www.dealmac.com/forums

ScottMate

SakSquash 07-09-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Aj_ is correct; There has yet to be a single proven virus caught by a Macintosh.
I never claimed Macs were "crash-free". User error, lack of maintenance, and sheer pig-headed stupidity will make any computer crash. As a matter of fact, that very situation is what led me to utter my signature quote. A friend of mine kept trying to see if software that wasn't recommended for his ancient Mac could be made to work on it anyway by nefarious means.
Macs are not Wintel boxes, nor are Wintel boxes Macs, and trying to apply solutions that work on Wintel boxes to Macs is a pretty good way to screw things up as well. In a computer lab, where many people of varying skill levels use the computers on a daily basis, solving problems and repairing what idiots have "fixed" is just part of the day's business.
Should you have questions or need assistance with the Macs at your school, post your problem here: www.dealmac.com/forums

ScottMate

Eh, I don't get paid enough to fix their computers. In fact, I don't get paid to do that at all. I'm there to load the printer and make sure nobody takes off with anything.

fov 07-09-2005 08:18 PM

I installed Avast a few weeks ago when my Norton subscription ran out (after 3 years of paying for Norton). Almost immediately, it found a Trojan on my machine that Norton hadn't caught. :shifty:

Aj_ 07-09-2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

There has yet to be a single proven virus caught by a Macintosh.
Well no, there have been Unix Virii, thus BSD virii, and more importantly a proof-of-concept OSX virus, just add out in the wild to your statement. The point is that the Mac is not invulnerable, and that if the platform was targeted then I think the shit would hit the fan, because of complacency. On the other hand Unix and Linux based operating systems are so much better at security, network security in particular than Windows based machines. Obscurity protects these operating systems aswell.

On Macs don't crash, OSX is much more stable I'm sure, but MacOS before the BSD core was prone to crashing as much if not more. Windows 98SE tweaked was reliable as hell, and Windows XP has had ups and downs, but with the right drivers and once patches are supported, it's pretty stable.

The only thing that was stopping me getting a Mac was the CPU and price, and although I'd prefer AMD because they are so much better, a Pentium M iBook would be sweet. Of course, this can all change in the time that it takes to make a x86 Mac, maybe I'll stop making fun of the Mac folks for their weak will when it comes to shiny stylish electronics. OOoooo shiny, me wants it.

SakSquash 07-09-2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov
I installed Avast a few weeks ago when my Norton subscription ran out (after 3 years of paying for Norton). Almost immediately, it found a Trojan on my machine that Nortan hadn't caught. :shifty:

Same here :frown:

Ninth 07-10-2005 03:45 AM

Quote:

Same here :frown:

And same here. :shifty:

Intrepid Homoludens 07-10-2005 08:00 AM

So I suppose I should download this one, then. I'm not using any anti-virus stuff, only Spybot and Adaware.

SakSquash 07-10-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So I suppose I should download this one, then. I'm not using any anti-virus stuff, only Spybot and Adaware.

I'm liking it so far, and you can't beat free :D

Intrepid Homoludens 07-10-2005 08:12 AM

Quote:

you can't beat free :D

<dirty mind>

fov 07-10-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

I'd download it. It catches lots of stuff (even spyware stuff) that those two don't.

Mishale 07-10-2005 11:20 PM

What's your scanning regimen like for those of you that have Avast? It doesn't come with a scheduler in the free version, and I'm too used to having Norton scheduled for a scan every week now to manually have to do it. I just checked my Spybot, and I haven't scanned in 27 days :crazy:

So, how do you people remind yourselves to do it?