You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Avast! Anyone use it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #21
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
What's your scanning regimen like for those of you that have Avast? It doesn't come with a scheduler in the free version, and I'm too used to having Norton scheduled for a scan every week now to manually have to do it. I just checked my Spybot, and I haven't scanned in 27 days

So, how do you people remind yourselves to do it?
I don't mind doing it myself, but I almost don't have to. Yesterday, I was uh....downloading...something...and I guess there was a trojan in it, and it picked it right up. See, it has this thing where it scans your email, P2P programs, instant messaging and other things as well, so if anything comes through them that isn't friendly, it picks it right up. So far, i'm loving it!
Old 07-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
What's your scanning regimen like for those of you that have Avast? It doesn't come with a scheduler in the free version, and I'm too used to having Norton scheduled for a scan every week now to manually have to do it. I just checked my Spybot, and I haven't scanned in 27 days
I've been having the same problem. I had Norton set to scan the computer every Monday night. Since I installed Avast, I've only run the system scan one time, and that was when it picked up the Trojan. I wouldn't have even run it except it detected the Trojan (though I'm not really sure why, since I wasn't doing anything at the time and it had apparently been sitting on my system for two months - thanks for catching it, Norton ) so I ran it then to see if there was anything else (which there was). The scan took almost two hours, so I can't really see myself doing it on a regular basis (unless I leave it on while I'm sleeping, or something).

But yeah, it scans everything that comes in (email, downloads, etc.) so in theory, now that that Trojan's gone, I shouldn't need to do another system scan. (Famous last words. )
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #23
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I like what I've seen from this so far, though the illiterate website (I presume the result of strange translation) put me off at first.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #24
use post with thread

Send a message via AIM to Robin

I started using it since a year ago when the latest version of AVG started freezing my comp. Havn't had a virus-related incident since. Plus, it's as low-maintainance as possible: auto-updating with a minimal ram footprint.

My only problem is the occasional "*DING* VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" that will scare the bejesus out of me late at night when ive left my sound on.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #25
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I started using it since a year ago when the latest version of AVG started freezing my comp. Havn't had a virus-related incident since. Plus, it's as low-maintainance as possible: auto-updating with a minimal ram footprint.

My only problem is the occasional "ING* VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED" that will scare the bejesus out of me late at night when ive left my sound on.
Hahah yeah, that got me this morning.