You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #1

Default work and uni

I finished uni about a month ago but I hadn't gotten my results yet. Now I have and I've got a "2 : 1" bachelors degree in Computer Games Design (although they should've called it Games Art & Animation with Design on the Side, really). The Interactive Animation project I showed earlier on the forum was my final year project. I did some other projects (like that Turbo Turtles game) but that was the main one...

Also, I've got my first job in the games industry! Working as a junior animator at Streamline Studios in Holland. Just started this week. It's pretty cool so far.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Congratulations! Good luck with your new job too! What does a 2:1 mean?

Lynsie
Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
gin soaked boy

Glad to see it's working out for you, good luck! And bring on those games
Old 07-08-2005, 12:26 AM   #4
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
What does a 2:1 mean?
Not top, but great.

Is that Warhammer 40K space marines and dreadnaughts I see? You guys do some work for Dawn of War? I liked the intro traler in that game.

Last edited by Aj_; 07-08-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
merely human

Congrats, Ninsie!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
A Servicable Villain

Hey cool Nice to see you actually landed a job in the ol' country. I'm sure to read up on your interactive animation-project because I'm doing a paper now on in-game character animation, which is closely related. I'm aiming for a nice degree in gamedesign as well
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Not top, but great.
Yeah, best is a first class honours... I'm really happy with my final year project I did and the Turbo Turtles game I worked on with my buddies and if the degree had been based on only those I think I would've gotten a first, but there were some other assignments that didn't turn out as well... kind of okayish. The time pressure got a bit crazy towards the end.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
I'm sure to read up on your interactive animation-project because I'm doing a paper now on in-game character animation, which is closely related. I'm aiming for a nice degree in gamedesign as well
Ah... if you want to check out the project, you'll have to go to this IP address for now cause my domain name is temporarily down.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Is that Warhammer 40K space marines and dreadnaughts I see? You guys do some work for Dawn of War? I liked the intro traler in that game.
No I don't think Streamline had anything to do with Warhammer... and that intro was done by Blur. Streamline has worked on lots of things though... Unreal 2004 among other things. They do a lot of outsourcing stuff, but they've got an "internal development" lined up as well, which is what I'm working on.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Aj_
Beyond Belief

If it helps then these are the pictures I was refering to:

Come to think of it, I don't recall those exact models in Dawn of War, it'd be cool if they are making a new game based on the Warhammer 40K IP. It can be cheesy but there are some talented people working on the artwork and design of some of the stuff.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:50 AM   #11
A Servicable Villain

I just read your article for Developer, Christiaan. I think I might quote some things out of it for my paper Helpful material.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #12

Thought I'd revive this thread for an update...

Week 2 comes to an end and I'm starting to get used to the whole get up early and eat late thing. I take the 8:17 train from Alkmaar and then travel to Purmerend via Hoorn... takes about 40 minutes. Then I catch the 18:34 train back, so it's usually not till around eight that I get some dinner. The train time gives me a chance to catch up on my reading though. Hadn't really read anything since last summer... just finished a collection of short stories by Chekhov.

It feels kinda weird. I've wanted make games since I first played them and pretty much every step in my education from "Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs" to a Bachelors degree has been leading up to this one way or another... and now I'm actually in a games company working as an animator! The game engine requirements and constant revisions take some getting used to, but overall it's great fun.

By the way, if anyone's interested, this is what actually got me the job in the end: After the interview they said that while they liked my work they wanted to see more broad cartoony action, so they gave me an assignment to do at home.

http://70.84.192.18/~ninjadod/temp/dropin.mov

This was it.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
How am I not myself?

Just took a look at that cartoony video. That's amazing. Mad props to you, and good luck with your new job.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:30 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Very nice looking video.
I can definitely see that you have bright future in the business of animation.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:36 AM   #15
A Servicable Villain

I can see why that pulled them over. I like the way it's snappy. Sometimes motions can feel very slow because animators may tend to want everyone to clearly see everything. But this feels right. Maybe the intro was a bit too fast and blabla, which isn't really important because it's rough quality work.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #16
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

NinjaDodo - I liked the video! You managed to give the character some personality! I liked the way he flicked the speck (imaginary) off his wrist - just the right touch there! Good work! I can see why they gave you the job! I hope you do enjoy making games - you obviously have the talent for it!

Lynsie