You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Scott Question Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #41
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I'm just kidding! It's really not small. I swear. It's insanely large and wears a hat!
Now I really want to see a photo! A hat, you say?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #42
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Epic
That's just what you want to hear someone say on the internet
Thankfully, donkeys will fly before Temp ever does anything of the sort. I'm sure he knew I was joking.
Ew...what if he didn't know I was just kidding?
Now I'm afraid to check my private messages...maybe I can get someone else to look at them first before I do. That way if they hurl after opening a message, I can just delete it quickly before I look at it myself.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #43
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Talk to her. Not "chat her up" talk to her, but talk to her as if you are genuinely interested in her opinions and experiences, which you should be if you really like her. Ask her polite questions, and really listen to her responses, then ask her more questions about her responses. Do not volunteer any information about yourself (except your name, of course) unless she specifically asks for it, and after answering ask her the same question in turn.
If she likes you at all, she will be flattered by the attention and will respond favorably. If she tells you to get lost or ignores you, then she clearly doesn't like you. If she answers you curtly then she's undecided about you, so thank her for her response and don't ask her another question for at least 24 hours.

ScottMate
Sounds like winning advice, I will have to implement this strategy. Of course, in your glorious and sheer amazing brilliance, I was hoping you would already know the answer and just tell me.

I don't think I have to worry about her telling me to get lost, though, at least. We already flirt a bit or whatever, smiling and pretending to hit, kick, and trip each other as we pass by. That's always fun!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #44
Squeaky

Quote:
To be honest, I love them both. Ideally, one right after the other. Front-to-front is my absolute favorite, though.
Holy Smoly! I don't even know what that answer means. I probably should've contextualised the question a little better. Think I'd better let this one go, before things get out of hand...
Quote:
Much to my shame, no. I wanted to wait until my off-days so I can devote several uninterrupted hours to the game, but every time I get ready the phone rings and someone from the real world requires my presence. On my next off-days, I may just leave the phone off the hook and dive in.
No shame in that, my man. The Myst games always have to be properly savoured.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
Thankfully, donkeys will fly before Temp ever does anything of the sort. I'm sure he knew I was joking.
Ew...what if he didn't know I was just kidding?
Now I'm afraid to check my private messages...maybe I can get someone else to look at them first before I do. That way if they hurl after opening a message, I can just delete it quickly before I look at it myself.

ScottMate
Thanks.

Now I might do it just to spite you.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #46
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
Sounds like winning advice, I will have to implement this strategy. Of course, in your glorious and sheer amazing brilliance, I was hoping you would already know the answer and just tell me.
Never having met the lady in question, I wouldn't presume to know her mind on the subject.

Quote:
I don't think I have to worry about her telling me to get lost, though, at least. We already flirt a bit or whatever, smiling and pretending to hit, kick, and trip each other as we pass by. That's always fun!
See, you didn't tell me that bit. She does like you, no doubt about it. Now implement the strategy I outlined earlier and you two should be dating soon.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #47
Squeaky

Yeah, what Scott said artwking. Sounds like you're already well and truly in. Time to make a move. Not that you need it but good luck!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #48
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4

You need to punch her in the mouth whilst speaking greek. Girls love that sort of thing.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #49
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You need to punch her in the mouth whilst speaking greek. Girls love that sort of thing.
Such smooth moves you have, Temp. A girl just doesn't stand a chance around you, does she?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #50
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Holy Smoly! I don't even know what that answer means. I probably should've contextualised the question a little better. Think I'd better let this one go, before things get out of hand...
Heh heh heh.

Quote:
No shame in that, my man. The Myst games always have to be properly savoured.
Amen, brother. I'll have to enter the "cone of silence" to play Myst IV.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #51
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Will a truly charming friendly redneck from Birmingham, AL find true happiness in Birmingham or will a move to Reno be in the future?

Lynsie
Old 07-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #52
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Will a truly charming friendly redneck from Birmingham, AL find true happiness in Birmingham or will a move to Reno be in the future?

Lynsie
Ooh, the hardest question of all!
Each day brings it's own surprises, so true happiness in the Magic City isn't impossible...theoretically. I've got friends and family here, and the cost of living is dirt-cheap, so Birmingham is like an old shoe: Comfortable and servicable, but hardly glamorous.
Reno is exciting and new to me, but the cost of living is somewhat higher there, and I'd have no local support system. Also, the cost of moving cross-country would be prohibitive.
A move to Reno is a cherished fantasy and not outside the realm of possibility, but it won't be happening any time soon.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM   #53
Magic Wand Waver

Now it's time to test your mettle! The eternal dilemma - men vs. women.

1. Who is smarter and why do you think so?

2. Who has the better philosophy for life?

3. If you could be born again, would you come back as man or a woman?

4. Will men ever truly understand women? Do they actually want to?

5. Are men and women equal, and if not, should they be? If so, in what ways are they equal?

6. Would the world be a better place if women ruled? Why/why not?

7. If women could be more like men, what one attribute would you give them?
If men could be more like women, what one attribute would you give them?

8. Feel free to add anything I've missed on the men/women agenda, and tell us your thoughts.

BTW, in case you feel I've set you up here - I've no doubt that your wisdom and Southern charm will help you to sweet-talk your way through this quite eloquently. Have at it, my sweet friend!

Lynsie

Last edited by Fairygdmther; 07-09-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #54
Bad Influence

Quote:
Now it's time to test your mettle! The eternal dilemma - men vs. women.
Do you really think that I, of all possible people, am the one who should be answering this? All right, I'll have a go at it then.

Quote:
1. Who is smarter and why do you think so?
Men tend to be very single-minded and focused, whereas women are far better at keeping track of many things without paying specific attention to any of them. Different situations call for different skill sets, so that's a draw.

Quote:
2. Who has the better philosophy for life?
That's impossible to answer in that context, because life philosophies are very personal things and aren't bound by gender.

Quote:
3. If you could be born again, would you come back as man or a woman?
I've done the "guy" thing, so coming back as a woman might make a nice change. Then again, being able to pee while standing is quite convenient. Either/or, really...I have no strong preference.

Quote:
4. Will men ever truly understand women? Do they actually want to?
No. Male and female brains are wired completely differently, and neither understands the other very well. Women are astonishingly complex, men are deceptively simple. If men and women understood each other, it would take too much of the mystery out of life...not to mention most of the challenge out of dating!

Quote:
5. Are men and women equal, and if not, should they be? If so, in what ways are they equal?
Deserving of equal rights and opportunities, and equal treatment under the law, yes. Men and women are entirely different creatures who happen to be the same species though, so true equality is a nebulous philosphical construct at best.

Quote:
6. Would the world be a better place if women ruled? Why/why not?
What makes you think they don't? Every president and prime minister has a wife, and private conversations behind closed doors usually carry more weight than lengthy summit talks and negotiations do. Men need to have their egos stroked and to have public tributes and accolades for their accomplishments, but women have a broader view of the world and are better able to see the big picture without worrying unnecessarily about who painted which part of it.

Quote:
7. If women could be more like men, what one attribute would you give them?
Unvarnished directness- The ability to say exactly what they mean without hints or allusions.
Quote:
If men could be more like women, what one attribute would you give them?
Subtlety- The ability to understand things without having to have them spelled out in bold type.

Quote:
8. Feel free to add anything I've missed on the men/women agenda, and tell us your thoughts.
Can't we all just...get along?

Quote:
BTW, in case you feel I've set you up here - I've no doubt that your wisdom and Southern charm will help you to sweet-talk your way through this quite eloquently. Have at it, my sweet friend!

Lynsie
You threw some sticky questions at me, no doubt. Whether I answered them correctly or not is yet to be seen.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #55
Magic Wand Waver

You are indeed a peacemaker!

Next question - if you were to rule the world, what would you do to make it a better place for all? More laws and punishment or less? More rules for big business or less? Better distribution of the wealth, or leave it as it is? How would you encourage people to get along better? Should we have a global language taught to everyone? Would you standardize everything from electrical source, to monetary exchange, to systems of measurement? Would you have a world court to decide regional issues that overlapped areas? Would you eliminate the idea of "countries", and make everyone a citizen of the world? Would you encourage long term planning for environmental issues and global problems like overfishing, and ozone layer depletion. Would all humans have the same rights? Even if you had to fight religious discrimination to enable this?

Lynsie
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #56
Bad Influence

Quote:
You are indeed a peacemaker!

Next question - if you were to rule the world, what would you do to make it a better place for all? More laws and punishment or less?
Different ones. Number one, I'd legalize the vast majority of illegal drugs. Let's face it: The DEA in the US and similar agencies in other countries have spent the last 25 years and billions of dollars (or the equivalent thereof) fighting drug use and have not affected the availability of illegal drugs in any area in the least. Marijuana has been Alabama's number one cash crop for most of my life, and it's time we started making some tax revenue off of it.
Number two, I'd stiffen punishments for violent crimes considerably, particularly those crimes that are unprovoked.

Quote:
More rules for big business or less?
Actually enforcing the rules that are in place would help a lot. I'd eliminate pollution credits (e.g.- plant "A" is super-clean, so the company that owns it is allowed to operate plant "B" as well, which is hopelessly outdated and spews tons of toxins every day) right off the bat.

Quote:
Better distribution of the wealth, or leave it as it is?
The same flat-rate tax for everyone, businesses and individuals alike. Businesses would be taxed on gross income, not net profit, because that's how we as individuals have always been taxed. No exemptions, no exceptions, no tax law loopholes. Using 5% as an example, if you make $10, you pay 50 cents, if you make $1,000,000, you pay $50,000. Period.

Quote:
How would you encourage people to get along better?
I have no idea. Respecting other people's opinions and way of life is almost impossible to teach, but spending time with people different from yourself helps a lot. Maybe a required year or two after high school spent living in a country other than your own, alongside people from other countries as well?

Quote:
Should we have a global language taught to everyone?
That's a wonderful utopian idea, and like most utopian ideas it's utterly impractical in the real world. A more workable solution might be to require schoolchildren to learn the languages of at least two of their neighboring countries, which in the case of the US would be Spanish and French...well, Quebecois anyway, which isn't exactly French. My bad, Ninth.

Quote:
Would you standardize everything from electrical source, to monetary exchange, to systems of measurement?
Yes, No (the utopian thing again), and Yes.

Quote:
Would you have a world court to decide regional issues that overlapped areas?
That's an excellent idea, but it's very difficult to put into practice. That's what the U.N. is supposed to be. Who would enforce the court's rulings?

Quote:
Would you eliminate the idea of "countries", and make everyone a citizen of the world?
No. National pride isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but helping individual countries and the inhabitants thereof to see themselves as citizens of the world is a laudable goal, and one worth pursuing.

Quote:
Would you encourage long term planning for environmental issues and global problems like overfishing, and ozone layer depletion.
Yes, absolutely. We only have one planet and we all have to live here for the forseeable future. It's foolish and wasteful to trash our only home.

Quote:
Would all humans have the same rights?
Again, absolutely. All humans would have the same responsibilities as well, and would be held to the same standards.

Quote:
Even if you had to fight religious discrimination to enable this?
Religion is a very personal thing, and the government has no right to intrude on or dictate a person's personal beliefs as long as those beliefs don't harm other people.
By the same token, government is a very public thing and the special interests of a few should not affect the rights and freedoms of the rest of a society. Not everyone follows the same religion, and some people follow no religion at all, so religion has no place in government.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #57
Magic Wand Waver

As expected - very good answers! I hope you don't mind continuing this thread, even if it is only between you and me at this point, though others are certainly welcome to contribute. I did tell you I wanted to pick your brain!

What about property ownership? There are, for instance in Texas, people who own hundreds of thousands of acres, yet many can't afford to buy a home on 1/4 acre lot. Would you recommend any way to make this more equitable? Are you committed to the capitalistic approach to economics? Also there's the issue of "permanent" ownership? Should property be owned through a family forever? Or should it ever revert to the state for redistribution to those needing land?

Related to this is the issue of burial vs. cremation - should a person's remains be able to "own" that parcel of land forever? Isn't that wasteful? Or do you feel that cemeteries provide a green oasis in city planning, and should be kept for that reason anyway? Or should we all be cremated to avoid further claiming of burial land?

On the religion vs. gov't on the previous post - I was specifically referring to the depersonalization of women by the Islamic militant sects, but there are also others that will put down those of other nations or religions. How would you as ruler of the world deal with a religion whose premises debase others?

Also, how do you deal with secular laws based on religious dogma? For example, we "swear" to tell the truth in court, our pledge of allegiance is "under God", etc. How do you separate the issues of church and state to make this less of a Judeo-Christian set of laws?

Dealing with the countries vs citizens of the world - maybe it is utopian, but how do you get people to recognize the worth of others if they see them as less worthy, since they are of different countries that they don't like or respect, like the third world nations of today. How would you redistribute the wealth, or would you do that at all? How can you make all regions equally productive and valuable without redistribution of wealth? How can you educate all the people without intervention in some areas?

Lynsie
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #58
Bad Influence

Quote:
As expected - very good answers! I hope you don't mind continuing this thread, even if it is only between you and me at this point, though others are certainly welcome to contribute. I did tell you I wanted to pick your brain!
Madam, I am at your service. I must confess though, it's a little unusual for anyone to ask my opinion about anything, let alone solving the world's problems.

Quote:
What about property ownership? There are, for instance in Texas, people who own hundreds of thousands of acres, yet many can't afford to buy a home on 1/4 acre lot.
And how much water is on those hundreds of thousands of acres?
Quote:
Would you recommend any way to make this more equitable? Are you committed to the capitalistic approach to economics?
I'm socially liberal but economically conservative.
Quote:
Also there's the issue of "permanent" ownership? Should property be owned through a family forever? Or should it ever revert to the state for redistribution to those needing land?
Forever is a relative term. Genius always skips a generation, and sooner or later each family produces an idiot wastrel who pisses away the family fortune and holdings.
In the West and Midwest there are thousands of acres that are going for pennies on the dollar, much of it foreclosed farms. It all just depends on where you're willing to live.
Lest you think I'm covering my own heinie on this issue, the only thing I stand to inherit is about 1/16th of a six-room house on a half-acre of land in Fayette Alabama, and my cousin Justin is kissing my Grandmother's butt as we speak to make sure he gets more than his fair share.

Quote:
Related to this is the issue of burial vs. cremation - should a person's remains be able to "own" that parcel of land forever? Isn't that wasteful? Or do you feel that cemeteries provide a green oasis in city planning, and should be kept for that reason anyway? Or should we all be cremated to avoid further claiming of burial land?
Again, "forever" is a relative term. The hills and woods around here are dotted with old abandoned cemetaries. Being deeply Southern, I have a special reverence for burial places. My family still celebrates Decoration, where the family plots are cleaned and neatened, fresh flowers are put out, and everyone picnics in the cemetary after church on the third Sunday in May. Many people find this ritual macabre, but I grew up with it and it's just a part of spring to me. My own plot was paid for years ago and when they bury me the road through the cemetary will have to be moved, as it currently runs from my left foot to my right shoulder. Even when I'm dead I'll cause someone some inconvenience that one last time.
Bonaventure Cemetary in Savannah Georgia is one of the most strikingly beautiful, peaceful, and serene places I've ever been lucky enough to visit, and the monuments there are sterling examples of the stonemason's art. I'd hate to see it razed to make way for trashy apartments or cheesy condos.

Quote:
On the religion vs. gov't on the previous post - I was specifically referring to the depersonalization of women by the Islamic militant sects, but there are also others that will put down those of other nations or religions. How would you as ruler of the world deal with a religion whose premises debase others?
You can't legislate people to change their minds, and Muslim women often see burqahs (sp?) as signs of pride in their faith and and see veils as signs of modesty and pride in themselves. They have every right to dress as they please, but shouldn't have to face negative repercussions if they don't want to dress that way.

Quote:
Also, how do you deal with secular laws based on religious dogma? For example, we "swear" to tell the truth in court, our pledge of allegiance is "under God", etc. How do you separate the issues of church and state to make this less of a Judeo-Christian set of laws?
"Swearing" to tell the truth when on the stand isn't a bad idea, but swearing on a Bible is. What if the witness is Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or any other religion besides Christian?

Quote:
Dealing with the countries vs citizens of the world - maybe it is utopian, but how do you get people to recognize the worth of others if they see them as less worthy, since they are of different countries that they don't like or respect, like the third world nations of today.
My suggestion of a required year or two abroad should help. Getting to know people as individuals tends to help one see them as real people rather than just citizens of a foreign country or followers of a particular leader. Because of Bush's macho bullying swagger, we Americans aren't very well thought of on the international scene, yet you and I have both made many friends here who live all over the globe because they've come to see us as individuals instead of stereotypical "Ugly Americans".
Quote:
How would you redistribute the wealth, or would you do that at all? How can you make all regions equally productive and valuable without redistribution of wealth? How can you educate all the people without intervention in some areas?
Alas, for those questions I can't even begin to guess at answers.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #59
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
Madam, I am at your service. I must confess though, it's a little unusual for anyone to ask my opinion about anything, let alone solving the world's problems.
Then it is the loss of great wisdom to many who don't ask - you have much to offer.

And how much water is on those hundreds of thousands of acres?
Often little to none - most are ranches.

I'm socially liberal but economically conservative.

Forever is a relative term. Genius always skips a generation, and sooner or later each family produces an idiot wastrel who pisses away the family fortune and holdings.
In the West and Midwest there are thousands of acres that are going for pennies on the dollar, much of it foreclosed farms. It all just depends on where you're willing to live.
Lest you think I'm covering my own heinie on this issue, the only thing I stand to inherit is about 1/16th of a six-room house on a half-acre of land in Fayette Alabama, and my cousin Justin is kissing my Grandmother's butt as we speak to make sure he gets more than his fair share.
Hehehehe - like my share of the family inheritance - a grand total of $83.43!

Again, "forever" is a relative term. The hills and woods around here are dotted with old abandoned cemetaries. Being deeply Southern, I have a special reverence for burial places. My family still celebrates Decoration, where the family plots are cleaned and neatened, fresh flowers are put out, and everyone picnics in the cemetary after church on the third Sunday in May. Many people find this ritual macabre, but I grew up with it and it's just a part of spring to me. My own plot was paid for years ago and when they bury me the road through the cemetary will have to be moved, as it currently runs from my left foot to my right shoulder. Even when I'm dead I'll cause someone some inconvenience that one last time.
Bonaventure Cemetary in Savannah Georgia is one of the most strikingly beautiful, peaceful, and serene places I've ever been lucky enough to visit, and the monuments there are sterling examples of the stonemason's art. I'd hate to see it razed to make way for trashy apartments or cheesy condos.

Where I come from, land is very expensive - as much as $80,000 for a 1/4 acre plot of land. The usable land is nearly gone, and I have always felt that the dead don't "need" this land that the living could use - I therefore wish to be cremated, rather than take up unneeded land.

You can't legislate people to change their minds, and Muslim women often see burqahs (sp?) as signs of pride in their faith and and see veils as signs of modesty and pride in themselves. They have every right to dress as they please, but shouldn't have to face negative repercussions if they don't want to dress that way.

I agree, but education is withheld often as well.

"Swearing" to tell the truth when on the stand isn't a bad idea, but swearing on a Bible is. What if the witness is Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or any other religion besides Christian?
Or Atheist?

My suggestion of a required year or two abroad should help. Getting to know people as individuals tends to help one see them as real people rather than just citizens of a foreign country or followers of a particular leader. Because of Bush's macho bullying swagger, we Americans aren't very well thought of on the international scene, yet you and I have both made many friends here who live all over the globe because they've come to see us as individuals instead of stereotypical "Ugly Americans".

Alas, for those questions I can't even begin to guess at answers.
Fair enough - they're tough ones.

ScottMate
Lynsie
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 AM   #60
Magic Wand Waver

Okay, now let's try something more personal. Suppose you've just been given a huge amount of money - $5 billion. How would you live your life? Where would you live? Who would you live with, if anyone? Would you work? At what? What would you invest in? (not just stocks, etc, but what kinds of things) Would you travel? Would you learn to fly planes? Would you hire people to work for you or be independent? Would you give lots to charity? Which ones, if so? What is the most significant change there would be in your life with the ability to have anything you want?

Lynsie