You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton28
I deffo agree....ugh!

And heres the most horrible and offensive word ever IMO

Spoiler:
CUNT

It's a good thing that you have seen the Vagina Monologue then Elton. There's a segment in Vagina monologue where the character tries to realm the word. She claims that the negative connotation often associated with the word comes from the male chauvinism. In fact, there's really nothing wrong with the word at all. It's just that men stole the word, corrupted its meaning, and used it to fit their chauvinistic view of the body part it describes. The body part that it describes is a wonderful thing and so is the word so women should reclaim the word from men who corrupted it and use it to describe beautiful things instead of ugly things. Sort of like gays did with the term, fag.

After watching that I actually started liking the term. There's also a scene in a favorite movie of mine called, Boys on the Side that centers on the word. Mary-Louise Parker plays a woman who's a bit uptight about her sexuality in the movie and has trouble saying the word. Whoopi Goldberg plays a lesbian who are in love with Mary-Louise Parker's character tries to convince her that there's really nothing wrong with the word itself and get her to say it out loud. After some convincing, Mary-Louise Parker's character finally says the word. As she sings
Spoiler:
Cunt! Cunt! Cunt!
, you can see the bond between them deepening. I thought it was a beautiful scene and I actually loved hearing the word coming out of Mary-Louise Parker's mouth.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #42

The word I hate at the moment is synergy.

I work for a big company that everybody would instantly recognize and it's about to merge with another big company and the term synergy is being thrown about once again. What the term synergy means to lowly grunts like us when there is a merger is that a lof of us will be losing jobs. I really, really hate it.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #43
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
The word "retard". I find it extremely offensive.
Same here. I sometimes catch myself about to say it - "that's retarded" for example, and stop myself.

Do you speak a lot of English in Russia? HOW MANY LANGUAGES DO PEOPLE KNOW??!!!

NEW THREAD! NEW THREAD!

*gets in a tizzy*
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #44
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless

I work for a big company that everybody would instantly recognize and it's about to merge with another big company and the term synergy is being thrown about once again. What the term synergy means to lowly grunts like us when there is a merger is that a lof of us will be losing jobs. I really, really hate it.
That's what I meant when I said that I hate any words used because they're fashionable at the moment and those who use it think they either belong or are more intelligent just because. It ends up sounding silly.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 07-08-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #45
Epinionated.

Treps, you're bling.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #46
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:

Would synergy mean the same or similar as symbiosis?

Hope you keep your job, mate.

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #47
Remedial Member

Send a message via MSN to Hawker Typhoon

Quote:

that damn one-piece stick breaks at the worst possible time.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #48
Retired Buccaneer

Bling.

The spelling "creme" for cream. To me it looks like it should be pronounced either as "cremm" like in French or as "creamy" like the adjective.

Furor(e). (Incidentally, the non-American spelling sounds in my head like "fu-RO-ry." I know it shouldn't, but....)

Seeing non-English romanizations of names from different alphabets also confuses me a bit, though I don't really hate them. (As a slightly dated example, while Americans refer to Ukraine's President as Viktor Yushchenko, in German he is Wiktor Juschtschenko, and in French he is Viktor Iouchtchenko.)
Old 07-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #49
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Irregardless.

Share the love.

<3
Old 07-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #50
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Definitely "irregardless"!

In my work we use various forms of the word "orient" "oriented" "disoriented". I hate it when people use orientate, orientated, and disorientated. Yes, it is "orientation", but otherwise the extra syllable is extraneous.

Lynsie
Old 07-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #51
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther

In my work we use various forms of the word "orient" "oriented" "disoriented". I hate it when people use orientate, orientated, and disorientated. Yes, it is "orientation", but otherwise the extra syllable is extraneous.

Lynsie

Oh god!! That really annoys me too, especially when you hear tv presenters and reporters using it in entirely the wrong context - shouldn't they know better