You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Starforce Woes

I have in the past made posts defending Starforce and its use to curtail software piracy. No more. Count me in the groups of people who got bit by the Starforce bug. Ever since I played Still Life on my new Dell, I haven't been able to get my DVD burner to function properly. It will read regular DVDs (e.g.
. DVD movies or DVD games) without a problem but as soon as I put in a blank DVD or a burned DVD disks, it somehow turns itself into a CD drive and refuse to read the inserted disks.

Dell customer support wasn't able to resolve the issue and the Starforce uninstaller I DLed and ran didn't either. I now face the unpleasant task of reinstalling Windows on my PC.

I still fully support the idea of copy protection on software but I have to vote a big NO on Starforce.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
SamNMax

Sucks. Never encountered Starforce, myself.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
merely human

I'd hate to say I told you so, gilly.....

Ah well, don't think about it too much and just re-install Windows.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-07-2005, 12:06 PM   #4
gin soaked boy

And create a backup image of your hard drive afterwards. Very handy thing, that.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
And create a backup image of your hard drive afterwards. Very handy thing, that.
Now he tells me.

Since Starforce is not going away and I'm not willing to give up on games like Still Life that have Starforce, I'm actually thinking about partitioning my hard drive and installing two versions of Win XP. One to play games on and the other for other uses. I've read that Starforce can be circumvented by doing this.

Watch in awe as I begin to completely break my PC by attempting partition my hard disk. No admissions folks. It's completely free.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
Homer of Kittens

I've used DVD burning software after having starforce installed on my machine. Which software are you using?

Firefox rules
Old 07-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I've used DVD burning software after having starforce installed on my machine. Which software are you using?
I use Sonic Record Now. It came with the PC and I like it a lot. I don't think my problems have anything to do with the burnig program. Even after I comepletley removed Record Now from my system, as soon as I put in a blank DVD, Windows changed the Drive designation on my burner from DVD RW Drive to CD Drive. It's like magic.