Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   And the Olympics go to....JO 2012 in London (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/9039-olympics-go-jo-2012-london.html)

Ninth 07-06-2005 04:08 AM

And the Olympics go to....JO 2012 in London

Bummer :\ .

I mean, congrats to the english forumites. :)

Lucien21 07-06-2005 04:09 AM

And the Olympics go to ....

LONDON BABY

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0118655/th-fcsbat_0070.jpg

Lucien21 07-06-2005 04:10 AM

Dammit Copycat :D

Ninth 07-06-2005 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21
Dammit Copycat :D

I was one minute ahead. ;)

The funny thing is that I'm working right next to where the games were supposed to take place, meaning that I've seen a huge pole with the olympic colors out of my windows for three months. :frown: Oh well, at least someone is happy :shifty: ;) .

Lucien21 07-06-2005 04:19 AM

Well i'm not English, but I have to grudgenly congratulate them :D

Ninth 07-06-2005 04:27 AM

Quote:

Well i'm not English, but I have to grudgenly congratulate them :D

I wish I knew if politics (the european referendum especially), economics and other similar topics had a role to play in the choice, or if it was purely about sports.

Lucien21 07-06-2005 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth
I wish I knew if politics (the european referendum especially), economics and other similar topics had a role to play in the choice, or if it was purely about sports.

It's not been Chirac's year has it. That's what he gets for slagging off Haggis yesterday :D

I'm sure that behind the scenes there is alot of politics. Rumour has it all the madrid votes went to London. Has Spain got a grudge against France?

squarejawhero 07-06-2005 04:39 AM

Yes, and so has Italy, politically. This was due to some kind of farmers dispute down there and the blocking of ground transport trade or something five years back or so.

Anyway, back on topic -

WE WIN! :D

gillyruless 07-06-2005 04:56 AM

Wow, that's a big surprise. I thought Paris was going to get it for sure. Congrats, you Brits! New York was also in the running but we never had a shot.

Ninth 07-06-2005 05:14 AM

Quote:

It's not been Chirac's year has it.

Not really.
I won't cry for him, though. On the other hand, I'm quite fond of Paris's mayor, Delanoe, and this is a great setback for him too.

Ninth 07-06-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
Wow, that's a big surprise. I thought Paris was going to get it for sure. Congrats, you Brits! New York was also in the running but we never had a shot.

I thought Paris was going to get it, until the few last days. This morning I was quite pessimistic, and rightly so.

James 07-06-2005 05:50 AM

i love london, was there in may for a week just hanging out - good to see it win. haven't been to paris, but am surprised that it didnt win - i understand it has a lot of the infrastructure ready from world cup etc, stadt de france etc.

Ninth 07-06-2005 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James
haven't been to paris, but am surprised that it didnt win - i understand it has a lot of the infrastructure ready from world cup etc, stade de france etc.

Yep.

Shodan 07-06-2005 06:11 AM

I was hoping for New York, just so I'd get to see lots of NYC coverage on tv. Sniffle.

samIamsad 07-06-2005 06:31 AM

http://watergate.info/images/nixon_thumbsup-small.jpg

Jazhara7 07-06-2005 06:48 AM

Oh, yay...Does that mean everything is going to get even *MORE* expensive?

- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

squarejawhero 07-06-2005 07:43 AM

Yes, dammit.

Intrepid Homoludens 07-06-2005 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth

I just listened to NPR's account of it, and they speculated that it was a number of factors. One of which was the actual site itself - In Paris there was already a setup, but in London's East End, a fairly deprived area, there's plenty of space to raze and then build on from scratch. That's a great chance to upgrade that part of the city, bringing in needed commerce and culture. Also it seems London has the least resistance politically.

:) Congratulations to the English and the Londoners.

EDIT: I also merged Lucien's thread with this one.

Jazhara7 07-06-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Yes, dammit.

Oh well, another good reason to visit Edinburgh instead.

(I told my sister that the town is built on a slope, when she told me she is taking her bicycle - she didn't want to believe me, and now had to admit that it *is* hilly. Well, some areas. I *did* pay attention in geography!)

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 07-06-2005 08:42 AM

Remind me to stay away from London in the summer of 2012 :).

On the other hand, WE WIN!!! :D