You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Reading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default The Reading Thread

Well, I just finished Batman: The Killing Joke for the first time (highly recommended), but that's kid shit. What kind of literature are the snooty adults on the forums reading?

Old 06-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #2

I have been reading Ulyssess, Wuthering Heights, Centaur, and Crime and Punishment all at the same time.

Seriously though, it's like 95 F again here in NJ today. Although I am a complete and utter snob, it's just too hot to be reading literature. This is what I have been reading:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...3&postcount=57
Old 06-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Psychonaut

Batman kills the Joker by gouging his eyes out. What's kid shit about that

Ok have I read recently:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

- epic tale of magic in early 19th-century England. Highly regarded by Neil Gaiman (my favourite author) and I completely agree - Superb book.

Currently reading:

Douglas Preston - the Codex

Fluff novel about an eccentric father who decides to bury his $500 million dollar fortune with him in a South American booby trapped tomb and tell his 3 sons if they want to inherite they need to find it. So Far OK it would make a decentish adventure game.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I have been reading Ulyssess, Wuthering Heights, Centaur, and Crime and Punishment all at the same time.
Goddammit, I need to catch up on my classics. For some reason I'm more inclined to read them during the colder months. Kinda like preferring beef stews in the fall - it's heartier and good eatin' when you're indoors looking out at the chilly world.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-27-2005, 01:25 PM   #5

For the Ancient Military History course I'm taking, there are three books that I'm reading: The Origins of Western Warfare by Doyne Dawson, The Origins of War by Arther Ferrill, and The Making of the Roman Army by Lawrence Keppie.

On the side I am reading The Founding Fathers: The Politics of Character by Andrew Trees. It's about what four of the founders of America saw in the American Revolution and how they hoped to shape the course America with their own respective values.

Coming up, I'll be reading A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin. I think it'll take a while before it comes out in trade paperback. Once school is done for the summer I'll start reading about Spain and Cortes. One book in particular I'm looking forward to is the diary of one of Cortes's swordsmen.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Batman kills the Joker by gouging his eyes out. What's kid shit about that
Not in The Killing Joke. Bruce promised Commissioner Gordon that he'd arrest Joker by the book. He also lived to be in the Long Holloween... and a couple other hundred comics, for that matter.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Not in The Killing Joke. Bruce promised Commissioner Gordon that he'd arrest Joker by the book. He also lived to be in the Long Holloween... and a couple other hundred comics, for that matter.
Your right it was Dark Knight returns.

The Killing Joke was the one with the torch joke in the end.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
SamNMax

That was funny. I haven't read The Dark Knight Returns yet, but I will in a few days when it arrives.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
gin soaked boy

I bought [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1560970030//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 Death Of Speedy[/url], the 7th Love & Rockets collection today so I guess that's what I'll be reading next, once I'm done with my exams.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Gaming Art Historian

Treasure Island, The Complete Annotated Sherlock Holmes, and this very nice one I just picked up called [URL=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582343969//ref=nosim/adventuregame-20 With the Night[/URL].
Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Easily amused

Recently finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and am halfway through the Chronicles of Narnia.
I thought it was excellent too, Lucien.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Currently reading:
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (yep, again.)
The Dim Sum of All Things by Kim Wong Keltner

Stop-and-Go reading (Books I've been reading over a very looong period of time but might just re-read from the beginning instead! Too many books, too little time!) :
Rama Revealed by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee
Grass by Sheri S. Tepper

Current manga reading list:
RG Veda, X and Clamp School Detectives
Full Metal Alchemist
FLCL
Excel Saga
(not as whacked-out as the anime, but still bizarre!)
Old 06-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #13
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Is "Jonathan Strange" really any good???
I saw reviews but thought the book was going to be seriously overrated?

I just finished reading the following -

Jeffrey Deaver - Garden of Beasts
Dan Simmons - Illium
Jane Jensen - Dante's Equation
Stel Pavlou - Decipher
The Rule of Four (can't remember the author)

I feel I must add that "Wuthering Heights" is probably the best book I have ever read
Old 06-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Goddammit, I need to catch up on my classics. For some reason I'm more inclined to read them during the colder months. Kinda like preferring beef stews in the fall - it's heartier and good eatin' when you're indoors looking out at the chilly world.

I don't know why but I agree with you - I reread Wutherring Heights, Far From the Madding Crowd, Tess of the Durbervilles and The Hound of the Baskervilles during one winter term at uni
They just seemed so much more atmospheric on those long winter nights
Old 06-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #15
Easily amused

Quote:
Is "Jonathan Strange" really any good???
As with anything, it depends on your taste. It takes place in a sort of alternate old England, where magic starts making a comeback. The book is very detailed and includes many footnotes that help make the story more realistic as a true account of the events would have been. It is written and old English style, so the grammer and spelling can seem a bit odd. I enjoyed it very much, but then I like Fantasy fiction.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
As with anything, it depends on your taste. It takes place in a sort of alternate old England, where magic starts making a comeback. The book is very detailed and includes many footnotes that help make the story more realistic as a true account of the events would have been. It is written and old English style, so the grammer and spelling can seem a bit odd. I enjoyed it very much, but then I like Fantasy fiction.

I like fantasy fiction too, but for some reason I got the feeling that "Jonathan Strange" was aimed at children? Maybe I'm wrong? - if so then I will hapily give this book a go, as my housemate bought it a few months ago
Old 06-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #17
Easily amused

No, this is definitely an adult book. Kids would find it tough going.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
No, this is definitely an adult book. Kids would find it tough going.
My housemate hasn't finished it yet - she says she can't get into it? (she is a girl after all, and we all know they have very short attention spans )

Now she has started the new Nick Hornby book, which she seems to be enjoying!

I'm looking forward to stealing that from her when she eventully gets bored with it
Old 06-27-2005, 05:46 PM   #19

St. Dale by Sharyn McCrumb. A friend of mine owns an indy bookstore, and gave me a galley copy (signed) to read, in exchange for a review of it.

Mike
Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #20
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I am reading "The Scarlet Letter", and "Death of a Salesman" - Guess why.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!