You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Record valuations?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Record valuations?

I'm wanting to sell a lot of my vinyl collection - this includes albums and singles from the likes of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Nirvana and many others.
A lot of these are originals, live recordings and limited editions - I just wondered if anyone knows of a website where I can value these, other than doing a google search?

Any info would be much appreciated

Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
merely human

Don't you have a used record/music store in your area you can take them to for appraisal?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-13-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Don't you have a used record/music store in your area you can take them to for appraisal?

Well, yes there is, but being a dealer in used books myself and knowing how these people operate, I would rather try and find the information for myself!
In my experience the majority of these people are very unscrupulous, and would sell their own grandma to make a few pounds

There is only one record store in my local area that values music and I know from past experience that he can't be trusted
Old 06-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
merely human

Then take the goods elsewhere, maybe even all the way to London. Best to get multiple appraisals, as you know, before deciding how to price them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Then take the goods elsewhere, maybe even all the way to London. Best to get multiple appraisals, as you know, before deciding how to price them.
I did think about that, but do you realise how far I live from London?

I live in Lancaster on the North West coast and London is down south - Its about a 5 hour journey from my house to London, and thats on a day when the traffic isnt bad

All I want to do is find some record values - there must be a website somewhere?

C'mon guys!!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Liver of Life

Perhaps you could try eBay and look what one of these is going for in general, and base your values on that?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Fulci lives

I borrowed my dads vinyl collection, he´s got lots of records from the 60s and 70s.
Many Beatles and Bob Dylan records and such, they might be worth some dosh.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I did think about that, but do you realise how far I live from London?

I live in Lancaster on the North West coast and London is down south - Its about a 5 hour journey from my house to London, and thats on a day when the traffic isnt bad
Take your collection with you next time you happen to plan on a trip to London.

Or do you really need the money now?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
pain is love

Well, I won't be much of help, but I know that if they aren't scratched, and if they're original (explanation: many records since the 60's and 70's up till 90s were reprinted here in ex-Yugoslavia under the different label, so they don't have the same value) they go from about 3/4 of the price of a new LP you can buy now and higher. Of course, if it's really rare or in mint condition you could get a lot more. For example, some of the records that were released in very few copies here (talking about yugoslavian groups and artists) are worth 30€ at least (and they can easily go over 50).

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Take your collection with you next time you happen to plan on a trip to London.

Or do you really need the money now?
Well, I wasn't really planning a trip to London anytime soon, especially since I have split with my girlfriend - the main reason for us going to London was to stay in a nice hotel for the weekend and see a show.

And, yes - I could really do with the money right now!
Ah well - i'll do a google search and see what I can find out