You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Australians: Yet another "What is there to do in ... " thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #1

Default Australians: Yet another "What is there to do in ... " thread

I'm going up to Australia for a month in July. Will be based in Sydney, but will spend some time travelling around, though don't yet know where.

Is there anywhere in particular (not Sydney) you'd recommend travelling to? Availability of cheap accomodation (hostels) is a factor .. but travelling much further out isn't necessarily a problem if something is really worth seeing.

What about in Sydney? Anything I seriously shouldn't miss?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Tamara - I see no one has replied yet. If no one gives you any feedback here, you might want to register at Quandryland forum, which is an
Australian based adv gaming forum. I'm sure that they would be able to give you some good ideas.

FGM-Lyn
Old 06-07-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
How am I not myself?

Hi Tamara,

Unfortunately I live in Brisbane, and have only been to Sydney when I was much younger, so my advice is fairly limited. I would highly recommend that you visit: A. Luna Park (theme park), B. Sydney Tower, which has an observation deck 305 metres high, and also a restaurant if you feel up to it. C. The Opera house (it's probably on your list already):

Sydney Opera House and Sydney harbour bridge

However, if you decide to come to Brisbane my advice will be much less limited.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 AM   #4
thegumchewingwoman

hey tam,

i also, unfortunately, am not from sydney... i live in melbourne... so i really couldn't recommend anything other than what you've already heard....

however, i highly recommend travelling down south (to melbourne of course) if you're into good food and/or shopping! lots of interesting clubs/pubs/lounges to visit, and i've heard (truly) that the hostels down here are some of the best in the world - good value for money too...

happy travelling!

Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #5
Epinionated.

Home of Neighbours!

*runs*
Old 06-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #6

Hey honestly I don't have too much planned because this is a relatively last minute trip and I'm going to be up to my nexk in exams and assignments till just before I leave. As far as Sydney goes, I'll be staying with a friend, so that's the least important bit really - I'm sure he'll take me places But as he pointed out, it's a little silly to go all the way to Australia for a month and then stay stuck in Sydney - so where'd you say I *really* have to go to experience Australia? I wanna see stuff I couldn't in Europe, really.

Thanks for the Quandary tip fgmother I'll head there too then
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
with extra cheese!

If you're into arts, nightlife, dining, and an excellent music scene, I'd definitely recommend travelling south to Melbourne. It's pretty chilly this time of year, but it's still a gorgeous city.

I might be a little biased, though, consiering it's my hometown and all. I'm actually moving back there this weekend.
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #8

bump
Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Chocolate addict

Tamara
I'm in Adelaide, South Australia. I don't know Sydney either except the Queen Victoria Building - nice shopping spot.

South Australia has the Outback but we're a bit far. I'd suggest that you ask your guide to show you the 'real' Australia. The beaches, the countryside, the old spots and the new touristy bits.

I hope you have a great time. If you could pick up cheap flights, I'd suggest Uluru in Northern Territory. If you get to Victoria do the Great Ocean Road. I tend to prefer scenery and history over restaurants and nightlife. Probably my age.

Whatever you do, get to a petting zoo or animal reserve where you can pet the kangaroos and koalas.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
Umbilicus Mundi

Hey! It's Tamzilla! You sound different.

I just did a search and saw you've been here again for a while now... Somehow I missed it. I haven't been reading this forum that often myself.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Hey! It's Tamzilla! You sound different.

I just did a search and saw you've been here again for a while now... Somehow I missed it. I haven't been reading this forum that often myself.
heh .. I sound different how?

Bars and nightlife aren't my priority either, though I'll do a little of that .. you can get that anywhere, don't have to travel halfway across the world