You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat What Do You Look Like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #2721
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Well, my Scottish accent is pretty thin, really. You can hear me in this anceint AGS podcast thingy: http://www.grundislavgames.com/podcast/agscast9.mp3
Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #2722

Actually,i find Scottish men very handsome.
SSH,you are very handsome too.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #2723
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
Actually,i find Scottish men very handsome.
Even Rab. C. Nesbitt?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #2724

He is so hot!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #2725
Psychonaut

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4...eature=related
Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #2726
Lazy Bee

Just as incomprehensible as that taxi driver in Ayr/Scotland I asked for travel instructions.
He was nice enough to drive in front of us and show us the way when he noticed we hadn't understood a single word he said.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #2727
tsa
Playing character

I look like a sick person.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 AM   #2728
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Just as incomprehensible as that taxi driver in Ayr/Scotland I asked for travel instructions.
He was nice enough to drive in front of us and show us the way when he noticed we hadn't understood a single word he said.
I once tried to buy a subway ticket in Glasgow. After the guy behind the counter had tried telling me something three times, I eventually had to call the friend I was staying with over to explain what he was saying.

This made me feel rather stupid.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #2729
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
I look like a sick person.

what????? You are just fine

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #2730
Lazy Bee

This weekend I cut my hair almost the same hairstyle as Victoria McPherson.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #2731
tsa
Playing character

Who is that?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #2732
Lazy Bee

The protagonist in Still Life.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #2733
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I once tried to buy a subway ticket in Glasgow. After the guy behind the counter had tried telling me something three times, I eventually had to call the friend I was staying with over to explain what he was saying.

This made me feel rather stupid.

Well, Scots is technically a different language...

And I don't understand some of the dialects in German. I, like many others from other regions in Germany, have difficulty understanding "Plattdeutsch" or "Low German", at least in part. The Low German dialects could basically be considered a separate language too. Here's an example - I actually understand this one pretty well, but I've got a pretty clear context in this case, so I of course fill in the blanks from the situation. But I couldn't translate some things word for word.

Here's another nice example.

Also, I think our dutch members might be able to understand at least as much as I do, if not more of those examples.

Oh, and don't let me get started on Saterland Frisian...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #2734
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
This weekend I cut my hair almost the same hairstyle as Victoria McPherson.
Quote:
Who is that?
Quote:
The protagonist in Still Life.
I was hoping you would show us a picture of your new head
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #2735
Lazy Bee

Nah, I think there are enough picture of me on this forum.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #2736
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
And I don't understand some of the dialects in German. I, like many others from other regions in Germany, have difficulty understanding "Plattdeutsch" or "Low German", at least in part. The Low German dialects could basically be considered a separate language too. Here's an example - I actually understand this one pretty well, but I've got a pretty clear context in this case, so I of course fill in the blanks from the situation. But I couldn't translate some things word for word.

Here's another nice example.

Also, I think our dutch members might be able to understand at least as much as I do, if not more of those examples.
Cool, Plattdeutsch sounds a bit similar to the local lingo here in Twente.

And about the first video: why is violence suddenly supposed to be funny?? Here in NL there are more and more supposedly funny, violent ads on the telly. Ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #2737

Quote:
Cool, Plattdeutsch sounds a bit similar to the local lingo here in Twente.

And about the first video: why is violence suddenly supposed to be funny?? Here in NL there are more and more supposedly funny, violent ads on the telly. Ridiculous.

Actually, it was not the violence that was supposed to be funny. There's a campaign in Germany against illiteracy: Like here. For those that don't speak German, the angry guy is shouting about someone having loaded stuff onto an area that had a sign "Beladen verboten", which basically means it's forbidden to put any kind of load onto that area - because it can't support it, in this case (as can be seen from the puddle of...something...spilled on the floor), and then realises it was one of the employees (Rupert), and continues to shout at that employee in particular, eventually getting hung up on asking "Don't you see the sign?! Can't you see what's written on it? CAN'T YOU READ?!", until the other employee interjects: "Boss. Yes, the man really can't read.", which has the result of calming down the Boss, who continues to laugh at himself never noticing, and then saying, supportingly, "We've got to do something about that." Usually, though you can't hear it in this version, Rupert says "And you think I'll really manage to do this?" and the Boss says "Of course you will.". And then the voice at the end comes in, saying its line, which translates as "More than 4 Million people in Germany can't properly read or write. We help. ALFA-Telephone Muenster. Don't write yourself off [NOTE: The term of "Don't write yourself off" is practically a literal translation of "Schreib dich nicht ab". It works in both languages.] - learn to read and write."

And that's what the thing I linked to was a spoof of. The guy in that was obviously a bankrobber, as you probably noticed. However, he spoke Standard German, while the Cashier Lady and the Policemen spoke Plattdeutsch. The Cashier Lady asked something along the lines of "Large or Small bills" and "Should I stuff it in a plastic bag or [Something I didn't understand]". The Policeman only said that the Bank is surrounded, and that the guy should drop the gun, and put his hands in the air - standard procedure. Of course the bankrobber didn't understand a word, and the police interpreted it as dangerous behaviour. I didn't realise that the stuttering of the picture was the machine gun when I first watched it, though, so I have to ask you to forgive this. The point of the spoof is that in this case, Plattdeutsch would have been vital for survival. The text that is read says "More than 70 Million people in Germany don't properly speak Plattdeutsch - Don't write yourself off: Learn Plattdeutsch". The thing he says at the end, "Dösbaddel" means "Idiot" by the way. Please feel free to consider me a Dösbaddel for not realising that they were actually shooting those guns in the sketch, because I really didn't realise that.

Anyway, I just realised there's several similar variations of this type of spoof: Here's one for Bavarian, Badisch, East German. These are all much more similar to the original spot, so no violence or anything.

Standard German, by the way, started, and to a large part still is, mainly a written language. It's what is taught in schools, but not necessarily what people speak. Most everyone understands it, but the German language actually consists of lots of small languages, that can be quite different.

It's also funny to note that some people can speak both high German and dialect. I've seen my father switch from Standard German to Bavarian, or specifically Upper Franconian dialect in the glimpse of an eye when we visited family. I understand it mostly, though I couldn't speak it fluently -. I've been identified as being from the Frankfurt area simply by how I pronounce some things. I understood the guy in the Bavarian spot quite well, though the faster part was a bit fast even for me. The thing he tried to teach the girl to say at the end was "Oachkatzerlschwoaf", by the way, which is Bavarian for "Eichhörnchenschwanz", which translates as "Squirrel Tail". )

-

Old 11-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #2738
Creepy Father Figure

Well I haven't posted a pick in here for a few years so I will give it a go.
I have been working for Caterpillar all day so don't look at my dirty clothes.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Well I haven't posted a pick in here for a few years so I will give it a go.
I have been working for Caterpillar all day so don't look at my dirty clothes.

Oh gods! You shrunk in the wash - YOU'RE SMALLER THAN A WHEEEL!!!!

Guys, be careful! rlpwsie has shrunk, so watch out you don't step on him!!!!

-

P.s.: It's good to see you're still alive. ^_^

Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #2740
Creepy Father Figure

That's a Cat 992 front end loader