Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   EU constitution (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/8459-eu-constitution.html)

Ninth 05-29-2005 04:51 PM

EU constitution

So, what do you guys think?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._eu_referendum

mag 05-29-2005 05:01 PM

Well, what do you expect. It's France. You French people just like being contrary.

mag

Ninth 05-29-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mag
Well, what do you expect. It's France. You French people just like being contrary.

mag

What? That's completely false!!!

Spoiler:
Actually, you're painfully right.

SakSquash 05-29-2005 07:40 PM

I think they should let Turkey join the party.

And hey! One of my best friends from college is French, and she's killer! She gave me some french gum, and it had a wicked temporary tattoo in it of a fish.

Jazhara7 05-29-2005 11:18 PM

"I'd like to have an argument, please!"

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tramboi 05-29-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninth

Quite amazing indeed, I really didn't think it would be "no" when I saw the low abstention figures.
And most of this because of inner politics considerations...

RLacey 05-30-2005 02:01 AM

I'm glad. Though you know the French will just be forced to revote until they get the "right" result :frown:...

Ninth 05-30-2005 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm glad. Though you know the French will just be forced to revote until they get the "right" result :frown:...

Why are you glad?

Catbert 05-30-2005 10:45 AM

Every single damn politician in Europe talks about it and how great it is, but they forget to TELL WHAT THE **** IT IS.

Aj_ 05-30-2005 03:32 PM

Its a bad constitution that was a great idea to start with but then go corrupted by politicians so much it went in the opposite direction of what it was meant to achieve.

The proponents were offering unrelated incentives and the opposition was rallying people to vote against the constitution because of other political subjects. Who's going to care if no one is actually talking about the constitution. Not just in France either, in Eire aswell.

Have the nederlands voted yet? I don't think they will vote yes either, lets hope this bad idea gets killed.

Ninth 05-30-2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Its a bad constitution that was a great idea to start with but then go corrupted by politicians so much it went in the opposite direction of what it was meant to achieve.

The proponents were offering unrelated incentives and the opposition was rallying people to vote against the constitution because of other political subjects. Who's going to care if no one is actually talking about the constitution. Not just in France either, in Eire aswell.

Have the nederlands voted yet? I don't think they will vote yes either, lets hope this bad idea gets killed.

But what exactly is wrong with this constitution?

UPtimist 05-30-2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Have the nederlands voted yet?

No, they'll vote tomorrow I think..

And I would also like to know what exactly is wrong with this constitution?

(I bet it's only "bad" for the big countries, and by "bad" I mean that it would lower their supremacy for about 1%, which would obviously be horrible, if they cannot totally decide everything... And of course it would advance the EU and stuff, but that's not their interest of course... But well, I guess I haven't heard the opposers' side of the story...)

Ninth 05-31-2005 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist
But well, I guess I haven't heard the opposers' side of the story...

I have, and so far I'm not convinced, and France voting no is really depressing for me.
Which is why I posted in the first place.

Aj_ 05-31-2005 07:57 AM

It's a bad constitution. The constitution was meant to clear up the process and understanding of European principles and law. Experts are saying they have read the constitution and don't understand most of ir because it is written badly. It has been changed to the advantage of some governments.

And about the larger countries, that's how it should be, giving an advantage to countries with less power is not what the EU is about. The UK for one is pumping out more money than it is recieving even with a rebate the other countries want to take away. Advancing the EU is not what this would do, advancing to a unified Europe is not a step forward.

RLacey 05-31-2005 10:12 AM

I think these people forgot somewhere along the line that the EEC was supposed to be a trade agreement.

My problem with the constitution is that it seems to be an exercise in taking away power from the individual state and moving towards a unified European state. Yes, that's scaremongering at the moment, but it's a precedent that I don't want. I have nothing against Europeans, mind you.

Ninth 05-31-2005 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
My problem with the constitution is that it seems to be an exercise in taking away power from the individual state and moving towards a unified European state. Yes, that's scaremongering at the moment, but it's a precedent that I don't want. I have nothing against Europeans, mind you.

Well, if you put it like that, sure, but I don't think that's why french people voted no.
Besides, what's wrong with taking some power away from the individual states?

UPtimist 05-31-2005 12:00 PM

Most people most likely don't even know what they were/are voting for though...

Aj_ 05-31-2005 07:01 PM

Quote:

... and moving towards a unified European state. Yes, that's scaremongering at the moment...
Me? Never! :D ;)

Quote:

Besides, what's wrong with taking some power away from the individual states?
Taking away power to change local laws for local situations and not allowing locally elected local government to do anything. Devolution is something that ideal if it can be done efficiently. Not to mention the track record european laws have had up to now, I couldn't believe it, but people on the continent can produce more red tape than the government in the UK.

Quote:

Most people most likely don't even know what they were/are voting for though...
Isn't that always the way? Aren't the majority of Americans voting for a party through habit not policy, and nothing could happen to change their vote?

gillyruless 06-01-2005 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
"I'd like to have an argument, please!"

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

No, you don't.

Besides, I'm afraid I can only offer you contradiction, where argument is an intellectual process and contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.

:D

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

DustCropper 06-01-2005 05:03 PM

Is this the right thread to make a complaint?