You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat is "Peggy" short for something?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Mystic

Default is "Peggy" short for something?

I was just discussing that with my girlfriend (no idea how it came up) is the name "peggy" short for something? pegatha? Peganda? Peggsie Weggsie?

im glad there's a chit chat forum :-)
Old 05-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Curiouser and curiouser

Is this a trick question, or worse, an old joke I am falling right into?

Peggy is short for Margaret. Along with Peg, Meg, Maggie, and so on.

Top Secret Hint: Google is even *better* than ChitChat sometimes. I found the reason why Peg is a nickname for Margaret here. The same person explained why Polly is a nickname for Mary and gave the root of the name Jack, and all I had to do was type "Margaret nicknames Peg".

Last edited by EasilyConfused; 05-29-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Is this a trick question, or worse, an old joke I am falling right into?

Peggy is short for Margaret. Along with Peg, Meg, Maggie, and so on.

I never heard that before. but lacking a better explanation i'll buy it.

Ps- what is your avatar from?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Curiouser and curiouser

It's true. The link explains why--lots of names follow the pattern because apparently the English and Irish used to mix up their Ms and Ps.

My avatar's from the designs for Zoe--Marek did a preview of the new Dreamfall designs awhile back.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
Liver of Life

Pegasus.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
I found the reason why Peg is a nickname for Margaret here.
Awesome. I've been trying to figure that one out for years. And to think, all I had to do was type it into Google...

Oh well. Clusty's better anyway.

mag
Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Nicknames like that are weird... Getting "Jake" from "Jacob" is easy, but "Bill" from "William," "Jim" from "Jack," "Dick" from "Richard," "Peggy" from "Margaret"... whaaa

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 05-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Curiouser and curiouser

Jim from Jack??????? I've never heard of that one, just Jim from James, which is . . . okay, that's not all that weird, actually.

The weirdest thing are the new made-up names, where you just make up a whole new name from something that either wasn't a word, or wasn't a name before. Like naming your baby "Apple."
Old 05-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Well, if you make up a name, you just have to make sure that a decent nickname can easily be derived from it. For example, if you name your kid Pumpernickel, you can get Nick out of that.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Jim from Jack??????? I've never heard of that one, just Jim from James, which is . . . okay, that's not all that weird, actually.

The weirdest thing are the new made-up names, where you just make up a whole new name from something that either wasn't a word, or wasn't a name before. Like naming your baby "Apple."
My name is James but my dad calls me Charlie.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I made up the name "Igrette". It was actually a misunderstanding of a french pronounciation of the french letter "Y". I thought it was pronounced "I gret", and I thought it funny, because I knew the meaning of it was something like "'I' strange".

But in reality the name of "Y" in french is "I grec", which still means something like "'I' strange", I think.

But I liked "Igrette" better. And her nickname is "Iggy", but one person (at least) always calls her "Iggster".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:05 AM   #12
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
My name is James but my dad calls me Charlie.
My great aunt is called Cynthia but my family calls her Bob. Don't ask.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #13
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Well, it makes about as much sense as using Jack for John. I mean, how can Jack be short for John? It's the same number of letters!

Quote:
But without people with names like that, who would we have to get beat up in school?

mag
Old 05-30-2005, 04:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I made up the name "Igrette". It was actually a misunderstanding of a french pronounciation of the french letter "Y". I thought it was pronounced "I gret", and I thought it funny, because I knew the meaning of it was something like "'I' strange".

But in reality the name of "Y" in french is "I grec", which still means something like "'I' strange", I think.
I'm trying to sort this out...
I strange? Y is prononced "e grec", and it means "greek I".
Old 05-30-2005, 04:26 AM   #15
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I'm trying to sort this out...
I strange? Y is prononced "e grec", and it means "greek I".
I know that "grec" means "greek".

For some reason our french teacher told us it meant something like "I strange".

I guess I accepted it, because I maybe thought that it is something like with greeks (in the past - the Ancient Greece) calling foreigners "Barbarians", because it sounded like "Bar-Bar" (or soemething like that) to them, if foreigners spoke. And maybe also because the believe that people with blue eyes (which are not so common in Greece, I guess) being evil - that's where the term "the Evil Eye" comes from. So why shouldn't maybe other cultures use the term "greek" (or any other land foreign to them) as meaning "strange".

In german you sometimes say "Das kommt mir Spanisch vor." ("That seems spanish to me"), if something doesn't seem right, or supspicous/strange. (don't ask me the origins of that. I don't really know them)

Also, I wrote "I grec", because "I" is pronouced "e" in german, and "E" is pronounced something like "eh".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-30-2005, 05:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I know that "grec" means "greek".

For some reason our french teacher told us it meant something like "I strange".

I guess I accepted it, because I maybe thought that it is something like with greeks (in the past - the Ancient Greece) calling foreigners "Barbarians", because it sounded like "Bar-Bar" (or soemething like that) to them, if foreigners spoke. And maybe also because the believe that people with blue eyes (which are not so common in Greece, I guess) being evil - that's where the term "the Evil Eye" comes from. So why shouldn't maybe other cultures use the term "greek" (or any other land foreign to them) as meaning "strange".

In german you sometimes say "Das kommt mir Spanisch vor." ("That seems spanish to me"), if something doesn't seem right, or supspicous/strange. (don't ask me the origins of that. I don't really know them)

Also, I wrote "I grec", because "I" is pronouced "e" in german, and "E" is pronounced something like "eh".

-
Ok, now I see what you meant.
"It's greek for me" does mean the same as "Das kommt mir Spanisch vor."
But in this case (Y) it seems weird to link it to the above expression, mostly because for a french person, "I grec" is just a letter, something you say all the time without really thinking about what it means. And even if you do, you'll think about the greek letter upsilon, not really about the expression. (at least I never did )
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Well, it makes about as much sense as using Jack for John. I mean, how can Jack be short for John? It's the same number of letters!
I agree. People nicknamed Jack need to get their priorities straight.

*runs away*