Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Do you have a DVD collection? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/8345-do-you-have-dvd-collection.html)

Orange Brat 05-21-2005 06:17 AM

Do you have a DVD collection?

Do you have a DVD/VHS collection? It's always interesting to see what other film buffs are into these days. Here's mine:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=orange+brat

I've sold over one hundred, so this list has gone through the chopper over the past few months. I've started building it back up, though. I wish there was a service like this for CDs.

High definition DVD is on the way, and I'm going to have to make some choices on what gets upgraded and what is good enough for plain ol' DVD. I'm really hoping the 4-layer Blu-Ray DVD becomes the standard, but I fear that's a pipe dream. It holds a whopping 100GB of data. The current standard is somewhere around 54GB and HDDVD is a mere 45GB. The studios are negotiating behind the scenes to agree on a single format(just like they did with standard DVD), so I think the choice is clear on which one should prevail.

lumi 05-21-2005 07:25 AM

I have a collection ski movies, but not of other movies. I own about twenty from the past three years, which is how long I've been skiing. They're something I can watch as often as I want, and I won't get tired of them. No stories, just music and awesome skiing.

Zygomaticus 05-21-2005 08:12 AM

I don't like to say I do, but my parents definitely do. They've been "collecting" from a long time. They started on VHS God knows how long ago and now they have, I would say, close to a thousand cassettes. A lot of them are recorded cassettes, though, that don't work anymore. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, James Bond Jr., Loony Toons - all the cartoons of my youth, saved on those recorded cassettes, gone. :o

Anyway, they started "collecting" DVD's about three years ago, and now we have little over a hundred. Yeah, it isn't as many as most people have, but we like it. I've watched every one of them 1.5 times (on average). Makes for a great past-time. :D

I'd type them up if I weren't so gosh darned lazy. :P

RLacey 05-21-2005 02:24 PM

I had a collection as soon as I got every Bond film ;).

Manhunter71 05-21-2005 02:36 PM

I have a collection - it mainly consists of horror and martial arts though, as they are my favourite subjects but I'm trying to expand into more general categories :D

I'm way too lazy to type up all the titles I have, but I have Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jean Claude Van Damme and many other unheard of titles from the 80s/90s

:D :D :D :D :D

Once A Villain 05-21-2005 02:50 PM

I haven't updated my DVD list there in a while... Maybe I'll do that and put the link here at a later date. But I have about 950 DVDs, including first prints of every Criterion Collection release (which wasn't easy I might add... a real O.O.P., non-bootleg version of Salo cost me $600).

Ninth 05-21-2005 03:17 PM

I have very few DVD, because I don't like watching movies on a TV. For me, it's pretty much cinema or nothing, especially for movies I love.

Tanukitsune 05-21-2005 03:40 PM

My sig has a link to my DVD collection... :P

DustCropper 05-21-2005 04:20 PM

I have a collection though I very rarely actually buy any movies. The only ones actually that I've bought for myself I think are Blade Runner, Brazil, and Monty Python films. Most of my DVDs were gifts. And most of those are movies that I don't really like.

squarejawhero 05-22-2005 02:39 AM

All the DVD's I buy are mainly animation or SFX based, mainly because of the making-of's. I rarely buy dramas unless they get under my skin.

samIamsad 05-22-2005 02:52 AM

Uh, no. Record collection: Of course. DVDs (movies)? No. I own the old Alien Legacy box set on VHS. The only DVD I've bought is Sofia Coppola's beautiful adaption of Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides. Does that count? Probably not.

insane_cobra 05-22-2005 06:00 AM

I have just a few film DVDs:

Kissing a Fool
My favorite romantic comedy, if we don't consider Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to be one. Jason Lee rules!

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Double feature with both 1932 and 1941 versions. Ingrid Bergman was so beautiful :9~

The Windsor Protocol
Don't ask, bought it because of Lisa Bronwyn Moore.

Bride of the Monster

Dancer in the Dark

Godzilla Millenium

Sorted
A poor movie, but a great DVD edition and a neat soundtrack. Tim Curry in an awful role.

Repo Man
I'm still not decided whether it's a piece of trash or a masterpiece.

Bad Taste
A dissapointment. Can't believe where he went from there.

Batman: The Movie
The best Batman ever? Gotta love the Bat-Shark Repellent :)

Zardoz

"THE GUN IS GOOD! THE PENIS IS EVIL!"

What a classic! I thought it's laughable at first, but it's possibly the most ambitious Boorman film. A great story, not so great realisation. And Sean Connery in a wedding dress :D

21 Gram/Storytelling (double feature)

Ghost World

H. G. Wells' Time Machine
The 1960 original, not the remake.

Apart from some music DVDs, that's it. I have many more DivX/XviD movies, though :shifty: :pan:

Kolzig 05-22-2005 09:28 AM

Hmm, I have a kind of a collection of dvd movies and dvd tv series.
I counted 131 movies on dvd, and 18 seasons of different tv series... :crazy:

Huz 05-22-2005 12:24 PM

I started a bit of a collection, but I found that I rarely watch a movie more than once - exceptional movies I will watch a few more times, but I don't make a habit of it. For that reason I decided not to collect any more. Now if I fancy watching a particular movie or TV series, I will buy the DVD (or DVD box set) and then sell it on Ebay when I've finished with it. It's worked great so far - I think I generally sell DVDs for £1-3 less than I paid for them!

SamNMax 05-22-2005 01:12 PM

I own the entire Mystery Science Theater 3000 collection on DVD, but that hardly counts.

insane_cobra 05-22-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamNMax
I own the entire Mystery Science Theater 3000 collection on DVD, but that hardly counts.

Me wants :9~

squarejawhero 05-22-2005 02:21 PM

What dark secrets do people have? That's far more interesting.

I've got -

The Chronicles Of Riddick; Purely for the production design! Honest! Actually, it got kind of a bum wrap. Sure, the villains are almost pathetically crap and their designs on taking the galaxy are totally vaporous and nonsensical, some of the acting is horribly self-important, and Judi Dench looks like she came from another movie entirely, but it does feature some great SFX (and some poor bits, admittedly) and some really inventive sequences.

Tron; Again, production design! Seeing it through adult eyes it's a horrendously bad film. But it's totally unique in terms of look and concept. Jeff Bridges spends the entire time looking uncomfortable and bemused whilst he acts everyone else into a black hole, merely by sleepwalking the role! The dialogue is clunky and out of synch with a lot of the themes of the film too. But it's great and cheesey.

Aida; a terrible Italian cartoon with promising ideas that actually helped me get into the animation industry during its production. Truly a great effort, and a highly respectable company (Lanterna Magica in Turin), but god - a misfire in so many ways.

The Fast and The Furious; I love this film. It blew me away when I first saw it and it still kicks ass now. Even Vin Diesel has great lines in it... OK, I like him as an actor when he's got the right role... but it's not like I fancy him or anything.

Stop looking at me like that.

Aj_ 05-22-2005 02:38 PM

I'm trying to build a collection of classics I know I will always like, because in the end I know the majority of movies I loved wont move me the same way in a years time.

Recent additions:
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain Special Edition
Near Dark

Quote:

High definition DVD is on the way, and I'm going to have to make some choices on what gets upgraded and what is good enough for plain ol' DVD. I'm really hoping the 4-layer Blu-Ray DVD becomes the standard, but I fear that's a pipe dream. It holds a whopping 100GB of data. The current standard is somewhere around 54GB and HDDVD is a mere 45GB. The studios are negotiating behind the scenes to agree on a single format(just like they did with standard DVD), so I think the choice is clear on which one should prevail.
Yes, it's clear that HD-DVD should win, because in the end it isn't just about capacity, if it was neither of these formats would win.

insane_cobra 05-22-2005 02:49 PM

Well, apart from the aforementioned Windsor Protocol, I plan on buying The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Everyone on Earth hated it, but I think it was great over the top fun, just too silly not to like. Yeah, it's nothing like the comic book, but who cares.

Not sure if this falls into the guilty pleasures category, but I think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of the best last year's films (the third best, to be exact). It's such a beautiful love letter to pulp and early SF, bettered only by Volume 2 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic book, not the movie). Besides, as a friend said, it has everything a good film should have: femme-bots, ninjas and dinosaurs. And then some!

Orange Brat 05-22-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Yes, it's clear that HD-DVD should win, because in the end it isn't just about capacity, if it was neither of these formats would win.

No, it's clear from my post that Blu-Ray should win. It has the superior capacity and the new cutting edge 100GB 4-layer version. PS3 is going with Blu-Ray, too.

squarejawhero 05-22-2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Well, apart from the aforementioned Windsor Protocol, I plan on buying The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Everyone on Earth hated it, but I think it was great over the top fun, just too silly not to like. Yeah, it's nothing like the comic book, but who cares.

Not sure if this falls into the guilty pleasures category, but I think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of the best last year's films (the third best, to be exact). It's such a beautiful love letter to pulp and early SF, bettered only by Volume 2 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic book, not the movie). Besides, as a friend said, it has everything a good film should have: femme-bots, ninjas and dinosaurs. And then some!

Chalk another up for Sky Captain. I've got it and it truly is a guilty pleasure. The script clunks, the acting is very middling and just... well, passionless... but the heart is in the production design and love the filmmaker has for his movie. It took a long time to make and is a fantastic achievement.

thegumchewingwoman 05-22-2005 03:56 PM

weve got somewhere in the order of 100 to 200 dvds (if you actually count the ones in the boxes...)

the main picks would have to be: stargate sg-1 (s1-5), indiana jones trilogy, old star wars trilogy (both SE and originals on dvd), futurama (s1-3), alien quadrilogy, the dark crystal and labyrinth...

-sandra

Aj_ 05-22-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

No, it's clear from my post that Blu-Ray should win. It has the superior capacity and the new cutting edge 100GB 4-layer version. PS3 is going with Blu-Ray, too.
Of course being a proprietary standard, disc wobble, being more prone to damage, and the far greater initial costs are obviously of no concern to you. The highest capacity BD disc is 200GB. PSP has UMD, Gamecube uses mini-DVD, does that mean we should be using those formats? Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?

thegumchewingwoman 05-22-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?

i still have a minidisc... pondering about getting an ipod....

not sure about battery life though...

Orange Brat 05-22-2005 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
Of course being a proprietary standard, disc wobble, being more prone to damage, and the far greater initial costs are obviously of no concern to you. The highest capacity BD disc is 200GB. PSP has UMD, Gamecube uses mini-DVD, does that mean we should be using those formats? Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?

We're talking about the next generation of DVD here, not some proprietary format that can only be used on one machine. The two candidates are Blu-Ray and HDDVD and if they do the right thing then only one will be chosen, since having two competing formats would do no one any good. The one with the highest capacity is the only choice that should be considered, for picture quality reasons, and the fact that PS3 is using it pretty much tells us which one will win out. They aren't going to go with the format if they didn't already know it would become the single standard. I could care less about the initial cost. I demand quality picture, and the more GB the better.

Orange Brat 05-06-2006 02:24 PM

It's been almost a year, and my collection has grown and then shrunk and finally started growing again. In my initial post, I mentioned having sold 100 DVDs(give or take). From there it grew and then I sold another 46 about 4-6 months ago(and are listed under "On Order"). It's once again started growing a bit.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=orange+brat

As for my high definition DVD comments, it's anyone's guess now that HDDVD has actually been released. Players have sold out(and have 1st generation problems), and Blu-Ray is looking to be much more expensive(initially), so it looks like HDDVD might have the upper hand. However, only time will tell.

Spiwak 05-07-2006 06:40 AM

I have somewhere over 200 but less than 250.

If you count movies I've downloaded and burned (only for movies I can't otherwise find easily) then probably closer to 300.

EDIT: OAV where could you possibly get the kind of money to have every Criterion disc in existence? Do you have any of the laserdiscs that weren't moved to DVD?

Once A Villain 05-07-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak
OAV where could you possibly get the kind of money to have every Criterion disc in existence? Do you have any of the laserdiscs that weren't moved to DVD?

Unfortunately, I no longer have any Criterion Laserdiscs that haven't been released on DVD. I still have about 20 Criterion LDs, but ALL of them are now on DVD. The latest to come out on DVD that I had on LD was Mizoguchi's Ugetsu.

Panthera 05-07-2006 10:13 AM

I've got a small dvd collection, and a few boxes. I almost only buy the double disk versions or other special versions, because I can't really see the point in having only the film on dvd. I've just bought season one of Charlies Angles (original)

Here's a list over my dvd's:
The site may appear in Norwegian, but the list is in the middle of the page, so it's hard to miss..
Myspace