You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Do you have a DVD collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #21
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Well, apart from the aforementioned Windsor Protocol, I plan on buying The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Everyone on Earth hated it, but I think it was great over the top fun, just too silly not to like. Yeah, it's nothing like the comic book, but who cares.

Not sure if this falls into the guilty pleasures category, but I think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of the best last year's films (the third best, to be exact). It's such a beautiful love letter to pulp and early SF, bettered only by Volume 2 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic book, not the movie). Besides, as a friend said, it has everything a good film should have: femme-bots, ninjas and dinosaurs. And then some!
Chalk another up for Sky Captain. I've got it and it truly is a guilty pleasure. The script clunks, the acting is very middling and just... well, passionless... but the heart is in the production design and love the filmmaker has for his movie. It took a long time to make and is a fantastic achievement.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #22
thegumchewingwoman

weve got somewhere in the order of 100 to 200 dvds (if you actually count the ones in the boxes...)

the main picks would have to be: stargate sg-1 (s1-5), indiana jones trilogy, old star wars trilogy (both SE and originals on dvd), futurama (s1-3), alien quadrilogy, the dark crystal and labyrinth...

-sandra

Old 05-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #23
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
No, it's clear from my post that Blu-Ray should win. It has the superior capacity and the new cutting edge 100GB 4-layer version. PS3 is going with Blu-Ray, too.
Of course being a proprietary standard, disc wobble, being more prone to damage, and the far greater initial costs are obviously of no concern to you. The highest capacity BD disc is 200GB. PSP has UMD, Gamecube uses mini-DVD, does that mean we should be using those formats? Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #24
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?
i still have a minidisc... pondering about getting an ipod....

not sure about battery life though...

Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #25
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
Of course being a proprietary standard, disc wobble, being more prone to damage, and the far greater initial costs are obviously of no concern to you. The highest capacity BD disc is 200GB. PSP has UMD, Gamecube uses mini-DVD, does that mean we should be using those formats? Can anyone remember Sony's Betamax and minidisc?
We're talking about the next generation of DVD here, not some proprietary format that can only be used on one machine. The two candidates are Blu-Ray and HDDVD and if they do the right thing then only one will be chosen, since having two competing formats would do no one any good. The one with the highest capacity is the only choice that should be considered, for picture quality reasons, and the fact that PS3 is using it pretty much tells us which one will win out. They aren't going to go with the format if they didn't already know it would become the single standard. I could care less about the initial cost. I demand quality picture, and the more GB the better.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #26
OB

It's been almost a year, and my collection has grown and then shrunk and finally started growing again. In my initial post, I mentioned having sold 100 DVDs(give or take). From there it grew and then I sold another 46 about 4-6 months ago(and are listed under "On Order"). It's once again started growing a bit.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...id=orange+brat

As for my high definition DVD comments, it's anyone's guess now that HDDVD has actually been released. Players have sold out(and have 1st generation problems), and Blu-Ray is looking to be much more expensive(initially), so it looks like HDDVD might have the upper hand. However, only time will tell.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #27
is not wierd

I have somewhere over 200 but less than 250.

If you count movies I've downloaded and burned (only for movies I can't otherwise find easily) then probably closer to 300.

EDIT: OAV where could you possibly get the kind of money to have every Criterion disc in existence? Do you have any of the laserdiscs that weren't moved to DVD?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #28
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
OAV where could you possibly get the kind of money to have every Criterion disc in existence? Do you have any of the laserdiscs that weren't moved to DVD?
Unfortunately, I no longer have any Criterion Laserdiscs that haven't been released on DVD. I still have about 20 Criterion LDs, but ALL of them are now on DVD. The latest to come out on DVD that I had on LD was Mizoguchi's Ugetsu.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #29
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I've got a small dvd collection, and a few boxes. I almost only buy the double disk versions or other special versions, because I can't really see the point in having only the film on dvd. I've just bought season one of Charlies Angles (original)

Here's a list over my dvd's:
The site may appear in Norwegian, but the list is in the middle of the page, so it's hard to miss..
Myspace

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 05-07-2006 at 11:22 AM.