You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Star Wars is sooooo done! Get over it!"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
merely human

Default "Star Wars is sooooo done! Get over it!"

Episode VII: Revenge of the Writers
The New York Times
By HENRY FOUNTAIN
Published: May 1, 2005

Quote:
MILLIONS of "Star Wars" fans are awaiting the release of "Revenge of the Sith" later this month, the sixth and final film in George Lucas's epic series. In it, the young hero Anakin Skywalker is seduced by the dark side and becomes Darth Vader.

Science fiction writers, however, are awaiting the release for a different reason. To them, "Star Wars" is nothing more than a space opera, and if the big guy in the black cloak is finally singing, that means the show is over. The saga continues no longer.

"That's the past of science fiction you're talking about," said Richard K. Morgan, the British cyberpunk-noir writer whose most recent novel is "Market Forces."

Mr. Morgan is one of a newer breed of science fiction writers who have moved far beyond the whiz-bang technological vision of Mr. Lucas's blockbusters.

"It's just such a huge shame," he said. "Anyone who is a practitioner of science fiction is constantly dogged by the ghettoization of the genre. And a lot of that comes from the very simplistic, 2-D Lucasesque view of what science fiction has to offer."

If truth be told, sci-fi writers say, their work and "Star Wars" never had much in common.

Like science itself, science fiction has evolved since the days of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Since the end of World War II, the genre has shifted its focus from space and time travel to more complex speculations on how the future, whatever its shape, will affect the individual.

That shift has only accelerated in recent years, as biotech and genetic engineering have moved to center stage in science and captured writers' imaginations, and as the lines between science fiction and other genres begin to blur. "We're starting to look inward, rather than outward," Mr. Morgan said. "There are exciting and scary things going to be happening in our bodies."

One problem with "Star Wars," science fiction writers say, is that it is not, ultimately, concerned with science, but rather with a timeless vision of good and evil. Mr. Lucas has said that his story, especially the journeys of his central characters from innocence through trials by fire to wisdom and acceptance, were rooted in Joseph Campbell's comparative studies of world mythologies, and especially in his popular book, "The Hero With a Thousand Faces."

What Mr. Lucas may have seen as eternal, however, science fiction writers have tended to see as antique.

"It started out 30 years behind," said Ursula K. Le Guin. "Science fiction was doing all sorts of thinking and literary experiments on a totally different plane. 'Star Wars' was just sort of fun."

"It takes these very stock metaphors of empire in space and monstrously bad people and wonderfully good people and plays out a bunch of stock operatic themes in space suits," she said. "You can do it with cowboy suits as well."

Science fiction, on the other hand, "is a set of metaphors," Ms. Le Guin said. "It's useful for thinking about certain things in our lives - if society was different in some way, what would it be like?"

The narrative is not the only thing that feels dated (or archetypal, if you're a fan) in "Star Wars." The science, too, often feels stock.

Larry Niven, the author of the "Ringworld" series and other works, noted that the faster-than-light travel in the films is very familiar. And that's not surprising. "Most writers, if they need to get somebody between two points faster than light, they invent their own hyperdrive," said Mr. Niven, who counts himself among the inventors. As a filmmaker, though, Mr. Lucas had an advantage. "They did special effects and made you believe it," Mr. Niven said.

Those effects were a double-edged light saber, however. The first "Star Wars" film helped usher in an era of highly technical filmmaking where character development sometimes took a back seat.

"We're still stuck with this legacy of - 'Oh yeah, sci-fi, that's when you have a big budget and lots of special effects,' " Mr. Morgan said.

Ray Bradbury said that the end of "Star Wars" was long overdue. Mr. Lucas should have quit while he was ahead, Mr. Bradbury said - perhaps 28 years ago, when the first movie came out to critical acclaim.

"The problem was he made a sequel," Mr. Bradbury said. "People have tried to get me to do a sequel to 'The Martian Chronicles,' but I've never done it. Sequels are a bad idea."

Mr. Lucas, of course, made sequels - and prequels - in spades. As if hyperdrive rendered historical continuity irrelevant, the first "Star Wars" film was actually Episode IV, and the last is Episode III. In the eyes of nonfans, of course, it doesn't really matter where one lands in the saga; after the second film ("The Empire Strikes Back") the whole thing went downhill.

"I fell asleep during the third one, when they brought out the Care Bears," said Mary Doria Russell, author of "The Sparrow" and "Children of God." The third movie, "Return of the Jedi," was the one that had those dancing, furry little creatures called Ewoks.

That kind of cute, sunny woodsiness seems particularly out of place in current science fiction. For as sci-fi has turned inward, it has also turned darker. "It's a rather quieter and more disturbing kind of science fiction," Mr. Morgan said.

"Star Wars" can hardly be called quiet or disturbing. But there is a film, made around the same time as "The Empire Strikes Back," that does fit that description: "Blade Runner." Many people, including Mr. Morgan, consider the film, directed by Ridley Scott, to be one of the best sci-fi movies ever made, because it was as much about what's inside as what's outside. It, not "Star Wars," was truly ahead of its time.

"You've got the gun battles and all that stuff," Mr. Morgan said, "but the movie is very much about internal factors, like robots yearning to be humans."

"And even now, 20 years later, it still looks like the future," he added. "That's a neat trick."
What do you guys think?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
merely human

Personally, I like the 'Joseph Campbell school' of storytelling about the archetypal hero's journey, it never gets tiring. You seem that in all sorts of mythology from all sorts of cultures, past and present, from the Bible to Native American fables to The Matrix.

It's just that I think George Lucas sucks at this kind of storytelling through his directorship. He's a weak director, and resorts to black and white stereotypes and stock elements, reducing the whole thing to a typical Saturday morning cartoon romp when it has so much potential for great depth. Instead, we get the f#&king annoying Jar Jar Binks.

And on that I do agree with Richard K. Morgan and Ray Bradbury and the others, it's time to move on. Seriously, even though I'm not a fan of the genre, the last sci-fi movie I found intriguing was Gattaca.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #3

I think those guys are just jealous.

I personally find space operas more enjoyable than hard science fiction.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
The Impostor

Quote:
I think those guys are just jealous.
Spot on.

Quote:
reducing the whole thing to a typical Saturday morning cartoon romp
That was, in fact, the whole point. The best thing about the original films is that they are what they are. They don't try to reveal any deep scientific revelations, they just tell an enjoyable story. They have no pretentions to be anything else but a rollicking adventure film, and should be judged as such. But all things considered, Lucas is a prick.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
That was, in fact, the whole point. The best thing about the original films is that they are what they are. They don't try to reveal any deep scientific revelations, they just tell an enjoyable story. They have no pretentions to be anything else but a rollicking adventure film, and should be judged as such. But all things considered, Lucas is a prick.
Omloflump, you know it makes me question my entire belief system when you and I are of the same opinion about anything, but when you're right, you're right...I agree 100%.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 05-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
delusions of adequacy

I found Gattaca rather weak. Yet another sci-fi about not fitting into someone's vision of a perfect world. Its about the perceived value of human life being determined by genetic screening/manipulation technology. Where have I seen that before? Generally speaking in too many science fiction stories. Specifically? how about Brave New World. Even Lucas himself did something similar in "THX 1138".

Nobody points to "Days Of Our Lives" and says 'that's the reason no one takes my interpretative dance theatre production seriously'. And canning D.O.O.L. Wont bring a more receptive eye to their production.

Star Wars is like a gentle introduction to science fiction, I find it pap now too and wish it was more gritty, but I didn't think that back when I was 11 years old and watching it for the first time. If someone had sat me down to watch Gattaca when I was 11 its relationship to the real world would have gone right over my head. I'd see a boring film about some guy who goes to work, runs on a treadmill and makes his wheelchair bound boyfriend pee into a bottle and keep it in the fridge. If I stayed awake through it (I still have difficulty staying awake through it).

I'm not going to beg George to make 3 more, but I'm sure someone will take up the torch of 'dumbing down' sci-fi, padding interesting ideas with loads of frivolous drama or add modern interpretative dance to it in order to appeal to larger and younger audiences. Good on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula K. Le Guin
"It takes these very stock metaphors of empire in space and monstrously bad people and wonderfully good people and plays out a bunch of stock operatic themes in space suits [...] You can do it with cowboy suits as well."
Damn right you can, Firefly is hella fun to watch. Mixing the cowboy and sci-fi (nyah nyah) genres together to good effect.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I'm not going to beg George to make 3 more, but I'm sure someone will take up the torch of 'dumbing down' sci-fi, padding interesting ideas with loads of frivolous drama or add modern interpretative dance to it in order to appeal to larger and younger audiences. Good on them.
I hear there's going to be a Star Wars television show. Well, two, but one's going to be a 3D cartoon on Cartoon Network. The other will be a live-action show on the Sci-Fi Channel. Or so I've heard. For frivolous drama, we could just hold out for Star Wars version of Law & Order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Damn right you can, Firefly is hella fun to watch. Mixing the cowboy and sci-fi (nyah nyah) genres together to good effect.
Sigh... I miss that show. The Fox network can be so stupid.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #8
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I find Star Wars episodes 1 and 2 to be total bullshit, but I find that article to be so as well. Can you imagine anyone taking an article seriously that berated a certain type of realistic fiction for not doing what other outspoken writers of fiction are doing? It's absurd. These authors, though very talented, are only serving to pigeonhole their genre, by claiming that their goals are the only valid ones.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #9
OUATIJ Creator

I despise George Lucas. That is all.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
How am I not myself?

Lucas is an editor. He hates writing.

Last edited by Glenn Epic; 05-02-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 AM   #11
Dungeon Master

I have a nagging suspicion that at least some of the opinions are taken out of context. I mean, Ursula LeGuin, of all people? I am not familiar with her most recent career, but she did fantasy, the "timeless vision of good and evil" stuff! (see A Wizard of Earthsea and its follow-ups). Looks as the author collected comments about Lucas' saga from various established writers, and reshaped it to fit his thesis.

Either that, or I'll lose faith in all quoted authorities. Saying that a film with futuristic decorations must indeed try to predict the future, is as silly as claiming that a film set in the past should be a historical drama dealing with serious sociological issues of depicted era - otherwise it's passe!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It's been too many years since I've last seen Blader Runner.

Now where's that Ridley Scott mega dvd version, that was rumoured about years ago?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
The Impostor

Quote:
Lucas is an editor. He hates writing.
It shows.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #14
merely human

My favourite Star Wars movie will always be the very, very first one. That is, um......Episode IV (that right?). Not because I had fond childhood memories of it (I am not, nor every was, a Star Wars whore), but because it was an awesome romp. The writing was spot on, the humour, how the scenes played out....everything. The whole thing was cheesy and wonderfully absurd. In terms of quality, I think the true successor of that movie was Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

As for what those writers say about Star Wars today, I think it's partly petty snobbery, partly petty arbitration, and partly truthfulness.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #15
Bearly Here

Are you sure this isn't the adventure game discussion

Uhm I agree totally with Omloflump . What is wrong with a rompy fun adventure? Sky Captain and The World of Tommorrow was similar and I had a blast watching that movie.

It can't all be grim recitals of a deadly future - gets a little depressing as a steady diet.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #16
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

... there are people that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_o

*reads a couple of posts*

... there are people HERE that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_@

Seriously, though, I consider Star Wars fantasy. The technology isn't anywhere near the focus of the story [or if it is, I missed it], magic is far more important ('The Force'). If it's really a wide-spread opinion that Star Wars is sci-fi, then I can understand why one would complain that it is sort of "bastardizing" the genre, though that's not Star Wars or Lucas doing that, it's the people who watch it and label it that.

So I don't find the article paticularily credible.

For the record, I neither hate nor love Star Wars. It's a movie, and it's way too much fantasy for my proper liking, but the technical aspects were awesome and some of the ideas were very cool. Still, it all balances out and so the movie will never be on my top-movies-of-all-time list, nor on a worst-movies-ever list.

I have to agree that it's good to give the franchise a rest, though, after so many years. Not because it's damaging anything (regardless if it is or not), but simply because. It's hard to define why I think so - perhaps because I think it'll make a better impression if it gets wrapped up nicely and turns into a well 'digestable' package. FYI, I'm serious, not sarcastic. I think that would be good. I'd appreciate that anyway.

I loved Sky Captain. Probably because the movie succeeded (in my eyes) to be what it was trying to be: Pretty. As opposed to that, Star Wars was (in my eyes) always trying to be deeply meaningful, and that just never came across (as in, beyond the intention). Oh well.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 05-03-2005, 06:25 AM   #17
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
... there are people that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_o

*reads a couple of posts*

... there are people HERE that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_@
I'm not sure who here said anything like that (the closest to this being Crunchy's "Star Wars is like a gentle introduction to science fiction", which still is not contradictory to your own belief). In fact, "space opera" (used in post #3), if I understand the term correctly, is exactly that: a fantasy story in a sci-fi setting. Hey, if people were generally of different opinion, I don't see why SW fans would be that enraged by introducing the freaking midichlorians in Episode I.

That said, I do see it often reasonable to deal with fantasy and science fiction together. I can't find its equivalent in English at the moment, but Polish word "fantastyka" encompasses both. So does, I believe, "science fiction" in the quoted article (see my LeGuin example), and - of course - inappropriately so.

Not to mention the borderline between the two is blurry. How would you describe Dune, for instance?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #18
Banned User

Why so people like this crap so much? I mean, that robot dude with the green face is so annoying. His name is data or something, and he doesn't even look like a robot.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:55 AM   #19
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Why so people like this crap so much? I mean, that robot dude with the green face is so annoying. His name is data or something, and he doesn't even look like a robot.
You're sure you don't mean Star Trek? It had Data, though his face was rather white than green.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
You're sure you don't mean Star Trek? It had Data, though his face was rather white than green.
No, i'm talking about star wars. Ya know, the dudes with the rippled foreheads and the other dude with the death grip or whatever, and that yeti and indiana jones.