You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Heroic sized breasts offer clue to women and gaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
merely human

Default Heroic sized breasts offer clue to women and gaming?

Hana and Rain, lesbian lovers from Fear Effect 2: Retro Helix (Playstation).

Heroic sized breasts offer clue to women and gaming?
Idle Thumbs news | Posted 1 day, 0 hours, 26 minutes ago by Beiddie Rafól

Quote:
Why aren't more women playing videogames? Sheri Graner Ray, Senior game designer for Sony Online Entertainment, may not have all the answers, but she's determined to find them. In an interview with CNET she pokes and probes the question.

Some key clues offered by Ray are that there are few female game characters to play. A large number of men often choose female characters, particularly in RPGs. Yet Ray revealed that most women don't like playing male characters because it makes them feel uncomfortable. "So it's one of those barriers. It's one of those doors that stops them from ever playing the game," she states.

Another turn-off for women is how female characters are physically represented. Ray observes that historically both male and female characters in games have always been designed to look strong, young, heroic, and ready for action. But it stops there for the boys and the girls are further worked on - to look more like they're ready for sex (which may explain why a lot of guys like playing female characters). This is done by exaggerating the breasts, pouting the lips, and other 'come hither' characteristics.

Which probably explains (partly) why my male hero in Fable never had nipples on his chest. I mean, what if he had actually been female? o_0
I thought I'd post this here 'cause there's a good discussion going on about it, curious to see what people here make of this.

Oh, and I put this in Chit Chat 'cause it should get more 'exposure' here (seeing as not everyone goes to General).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

One of my favorite things to do in KOTOR was to strip Bastilla down to her undies. Too bad that doing so also decreased her armor class rating. This has nothing to do with female gamers, but I felt I had to mention this.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
merely human

Well, I should mention too that I loved stripping Carth and Canderous down to their undies. A rarity in games, KOTOR actually gives the male characters bulges down there !! Imagine that.

Anyway.........
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

Yes, anyway...

I think that article explains a bit why there seem to be increasingly more female playable characters in adventure games. Guys don't seem to have a problem playing female characters, and women are more comfortable with them. Well, it explains it to me, but it might not be the actual reason. Although I wouldn't say adventure game females have HEROIC sized breasts, either. Not as a rule, that is. But it definitely seems true for action and/or rpg games.

On the other hand, I might be wrong, but men in action games aren't exactly portrayed as wimpy or "nice guys" either. They're exaggerated, too (i.e. tall, totally ripped). They just have more clothes then female characters.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
After 2 years...

You could always strip her after giving her the sith lord's robe...for more kinky fantasies *firouli firoulira*

For Canderous...it was fun that only stripped you could see his tatoo...nice touch.

As for the true subject. I find the facts to be straightworth. After all, isn't that why female gamers pass their time mostly on Myst games and Sims. They are games that don't tone up or down sexuality and have characters females can easily identify.
I can say its's a little weird. Lara = too sexy, April = too clumsy(or so i read somewhere). Can't there be a balance?

Also...damn you trep for fooling me of a new fear effect...
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Yet Ray revealed that most women don't like playing male characters because it makes them feel uncomfortable. "So it's one of those barriers. It's one of those doors that stops them from ever playing the game," she states.
In what universe? I have never had a problem playing a male character in a video game.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
One of my favorite things to do in KOTOR was to strip Bastilla down to her undies. Too bad that doing so also decreased her armor class rating. This has nothing to do with female gamers, but I felt I had to mention this.

And I bet it gives her an armor check bonus. After all, the less clothes you wear, the harder it will be for the enemy to discover you

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
In what universe? I have never had a problem playing a male character in a video game.
I don't think that's true across the board. However, it may be true enough as to be a major consideration from that potential market. There are other factors involved as well, I'm sure. Like if the male character is actually likeable by the women, and some other things.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
Also...damn you trep for fooling me of a new fear effect...

Hmmm...Zanthia! She's not what most people call sexy (that is, she is not a victim of the the "boobonic plague" ), and she is definitely not clumsy.

-

Old 03-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I would DEFINITELY have a problem with playing Anomen Delryn from "Baldur's Gate II" (it was bad enough that he was the only possible romance that a female character could have - while male characters had three possibilites for a romance). You really notice that his texts were written by males.

-

Old 03-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I don't think that's true across the board. However, it may be true enough as to be a major consideration from that potential market. There are other factors involved as well, I'm sure. Like if the male character is actually likeable by the women, and some other things.
Maybe I can't relate because I don't usually play the types of games she's talking about. I can't imagine a woman EVER saying "I don't want to play Gabriel Knight" (or Space Quest, or Moment of Silence, or whatever) "because I'm uncomfortable controlling a male character."

But even in games where I do have some choice (like in Final Fantasy when you get to pick your party) it's not like I'm always picking the girls. In fact, I tend not to. Weird.

-emily
Old 03-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #12
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

pffft Carth...it's all about Hanharr...gotta love the hairy guys
Old 03-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #13
merely human

I thought Jade from BG&E was absolutely the 'fall-in-lovable' type, and she's got the average physical attributes, is fully clothed, and is all about intelligence and general good character traits.

Then again, she's one of the very few exceptions.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
But even in games where I do have some choice (like in Final Fantasy when you get to pick your party) it's not like I'm always picking the girls. In fact, I tend not to. Weird.
Man wishes?

I hear ya, hon. I have the same.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
I thought Jade from BG&E was absolutely the 'fall-in-lovable' type, and she's got the average physical attributes, is fully clothed, and is all about intelligence and general good character traits.

Then again, she's one of the very few exceptions.
I wish there were more strong female characters like this in gaming, because I get annoyed by all of the busty ones that tend to have zero personality. I'd much prefer to a play a game with Jade, April Ryan, or the girl from Syberia as opposed to the likes of Lara Croft and that chick they kept calling Future-Skank from Unreal 2.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
merely human

I would love a female equivalent of Sam Fisher. One who's in her 30s, attractive, a gymnast's body, with high intelligence.......I guess kinda like Sydney Bristow but without all that drama, and far less visible, of course, but still complex.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #17
cows are my friends...

All breasts are heroic. Their size has nothing to do with it.

I don't mind playing female characters. Why would I? Isn't the point of a game to do something in another world? Besides, when I do it on the internet I get lots of attention. Not to mention the better scenery.

sorry...
Old 03-17-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Back in 1996, the Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall was released. In that game, you could strip your characters down to nothing if you wanted to, at least the males (I never play female characters). When I say nothing, I mean nothing, you could even see male parts. Something that made it fun was you could buy different types of cloths. You couldn't wear clothes and armor at the same time, but it was fun playing dress up with the characters

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #19
merely human

I can't strip Sam Fisher down to nothing.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #20
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
I would love a female equivalent of Sam Fisher. One who's in her 30s, attractive, a gymnast's body, with high intelligence.......I guess kinda like Sydney Bristow but without all that drama, and far less visible, of course, but still complex.
I've never really watched Alias, but even so, I cannot for the life of me understand how changing one's hair color to outrageous colors and/or styles is going to be a good "cover" that will allow you to successfully infiltrate questionable organizations. She's sure to be noticed looking like that. Like Jazhara7 said above, her best chance for getting in unnoticed would be to strip completely naked. Nobody would expect it.