You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat the marriage thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #21
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

I still want to get married in 2 years...it's just not bound to happen (at least not with the same girl)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #22
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
It seems like it's especially the girls that yearn to get that sense of security out of marriage. They're always on the prowl, and once they nab a guy, they force him into submission asap!

Quote:
All the marriages where I've seen older people (25-30) match up have seemed way more natural to me,

I don't feel a need to get married. Geoff and I already live in the same house, share the important things, don't have any plan or desire to have kids. We are legally domestic partners, and each other's power of attorney and stuff like that. I just don't see why, past what we already have and are to each other, getting a stamp of approval from church (or state) is important.

The only thing that sucks about it is his company won't let me on his medical insurance. If we were gay they would, but since we're straight and "could" get married if we "wanted" to, I'm not the real deal in their eyes. Bugs the hell out of me, but I'm not going to get married just to spite them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton28
Neither of us wears the trousers
Hanging out at your house must be awesome.

-emily

ps I am in that 25-30 age range, and it still freaks me out when one of my friends gets engaged! I don't think there's any "right age"... :eek:

Last edited by fov; 03-08-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I don't feel a need to get married. Geoff and I already live in the same house, share the important things, don't have any plan or desire to have kids. We are legally domestic partners, and each other's power of attorney and stuff like that. I just don't see why, past what we already have and are to each other, getting a stamp of approval from church (or state) is important.
That's more or less what I meant when I stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Ultimately I don't need permission from any church or government when I declare my love and partnership for someone. There is a psychological 'comfort' for that, I understand. But there's also the very high divorce rate, which I also understand to render a joke the supposedly 'sacred' and 'infallible' institution of marriage. I put my personal pledge of love and partnership with my man higher in value than on Marriage (capital 'M'). If my man wants to marry me in a church or at the courthouse, it must be his own personal desire to do so as his declaration of his love for, and partnership with, me. And I will honour that because he means it, not because the church or government means it for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The only thing that sucks about it is his company won't let me on his medical insurance. If we were gay they would, but since we're straight and "could" get married if we "wanted" to, I'm not the real deal in their eyes. Bugs the hell out of me, but I'm not going to get married just to spite them.
Ironic, isn't it? And to think many other states in the U.S. don't recognize same sex partnerships as legal, thereby not deserving of such things as insurance. Weird.

Quote:
Because no one wears pants there? But.... :eek: ....if Elton invited us over for dinner, does that mean we have to take our pants off at the door?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-09-2005, 01:50 AM   #24
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
ps I am in that 25-30 age range, and it still freaks me out when one of my friends gets engaged! I don't think there's any "right age"... :eek:
Sorry about calling you "older people"...

P.S. What I said about my peers rushing into marriage--I think it's because of the Christian culture I'm part of--people just wanna get laid, and can't do it without having gotten married first. Fact is, marriages based mainly on sexual attraction rarely last longer than 7 years, be they in or out of the Church.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 03-09-2005 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #25
jaf
big, hairy and blue

I'm glad we now will have the right to marry in Spain, but I don't really see the point in marrying. Kiko and me love each other and we are living together, that's enough. At least that's what I think right now, ask me in 10 years
Old 03-09-2005, 01:45 PM   #26
i'm with... <thud>

there is all this fussing and fighting, my friend, about gay marriage and whatnot whatever...but until my cat lily and i can get the same marital rights as robert and brenda, i will continue to fight for the recognition of my rights as a felonious feline fur-chasing fastiduous fanatic of the 1st degree and the ninth tentacle
Old 03-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #27
Doctor Watson

I can't understand how someone can compare a relationship between two people to a relationship between an animal and a person. Unless they are stupid or joking, that is...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #28
merely human

How does that explain your avatar?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #29
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:

-emily
Bugger!! Shame there aint room for another...mmmm...two women

Quote:
....if Elton invited us over for dinner, does that mean we have to take our pants off at the door?
Here you Americans go again; confusing "pants" with "trousers"

Pants = ermm.....keks/grundies/dregs
Trousers = well, erm, trousers

Trep, I'm sure you look wonderful with your pants off mate......DOH!!!!...that sounded much better in my head.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

However, I think Emily would be more to my tastes

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #30
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
How does that explain your avatar?
See here.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 AM   #31
cows are my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton28
Pants = ermm.....keks/grundies/dregs
You actually think that helped clarify what your crazy Brit speak means?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #32
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I can't understand how someone can compare a relationship between two people to a relationship between an animal and a person. Unless they are stupid or joking, that is...
how long did you try to understand before you rejected my love's fruition?...stupid/joking: stop hitting my nail on the head...it hurts...ya know...it really does
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #33
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

For me, marriage is more than just a thing connected to the state. The legal institution of marriage is one thing. But I see marriage in the basic terms of a lifelong commitment to one person; thus it doesn't matter if you have done the legal stuff.

I think I'll want to be married if I ever have children. I think a solid and recognizable commitment, perhaps more than just a verbal commitment, is helpful for encouraging couples to stay together and resort to breaking up as a last option, because it's messy to get a divorce. I'm of the opinion that it's better for raising children if you stay together. Of course, if its a horrible situation between a couple, then perhaps a divorce is a better way to go, even for the children. Ultimately, I think people should know what the hell they're doing when the have children. They should be in a stable relationship, whether or not its marriage.

It's kind of scary to think about a child's life taking precedence over the decisions one might make in a relationship. For example, someone might sacrifice personal happiness to stay together for their children. That's what my grandparents did. Once all of their four children moved out, they got a divorce. I'm not sure how an earlier divorce would have hurt/helped the situation. Even though the divorce happened when the kids were moved out, it was still harmful. Maybe it would've been worse for the kids if the divorce happened when the kids were still at home. Bottom line: messy.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #34
i'm with... <thud>

marriage, divorce, child-raising, staying together for the kids' sake, divorcing for the kids' sake, love, sex, old shoe momma, old drunk daddy, working, in-laws, outlaws, double chins, vericose veins, stretch marks, love handles, nuns, priests, monks, masturbation, molestation, demon spawn, oedipus, chucky...im glad im asexual

as in A) i cant get any
and B) i dont really care anymore
Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 AM   #35
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadriflax
You actually think that helped clarify what your crazy Brit speak means?
CRAZY BRIT SPEAK???!!!! WHY YOU.........

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!