You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic
Default Chat RPGs

Well, so I tossed the keyword "roleplaying" into advanced search for the Chit Chat forum and lo behold... it found three threads... none of which had anything to do with my prime passion.

...so, tell me, why must I start a new thread about this?

Surely there must be more people on this forum who spend hours and hours typing up aspects of stories they only partly control? Surely I'm not the only one that tries to juggle the personalities of two or more characters in a completely fictional, imagined environment, described only by the text of my own persona and those who are playing with me?

Surely I can't be the only that does things like

Quote:
* Frederick tugs viciously at his arm, almost in disregard for it remaining in place, one foot slamming into the wall to offer leverage - it is almost comical, except no one is laughing. "Lars?!" he yells, craning his neck trying to peer past some point further along the corridor, maybe a door...
and doesn't wonder where the pretty graphics are?

Erm.

Point being, I'm a freeform roleplaying whore.

Discuss.
The freeform. Not my whoring.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-18-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

My character is currently being graded (read: being ripped apart, converting her to something better) over at the Steelsings Tamora Pierce forums. It is for the "Divine Realms Inn" Rogue Roleplay.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I'm almost feeling guilty for indulging in my urge to ask... but then, this is Chit Chat, so: Tell me more, please? Link, background story, info, all that jazz? As much as you want to share, anyway. n_n
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #4

of my character?

Well, so far it is the third draft (not yet approved).

She is called Yabissa Seveen, and is the daugther of a merchant in Tortall. Her home village lies at the northern edge of the desert, and she always loved exploring that.

Later in life, she felt restricted in her village, and took to wandering. She also earned some money by doing some pickpocketing. She is now 28, and reaches Corus, the capital of Tortall, and finds she cannot support herself very well. A friend has sent her to the "Divine Realms Inn" (where the RP plays), to find work.

The "Divine Realms Inn" is the Headquarter of the Rogue. The Queen of the Rogue reigns from there. People who disobey her might get to adding to her collection of ears.

-------

That's it so far.

-

Old 02-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
of my character?
Indeed. n_n

Quote:
Well, so far it is the third draft (not yet approved).
Aah, you need to make character sheets that get approved? I don't think I would have the patience for that. Character sheets, yes, but not waiting for approval. That sort of thing would drive me nuts, I think.

Quote:
Her home village lies at the northern edge of the desert, and she always loved exploring that.
A dunestrider! Or is it a rocky desert? I used to have a character, briefly, for an RPG based on Oddworld, and she was native to Scrabania, which is the desert there, a total rock desert, mind, but I called her Dunestrider anyway.

Quote:
The "Divine Realms Inn" is the Headquarter of the Rogue. The Queen of the Rogue reigns from there. People who disobey her might get to adding to her collection of ears.
*lost you somewhere along the way in this paragraph* Can I have a link to the site, maybe? This world sounds interesting.

So, do you play with stats (e.g. numbers for strength and defence) or is it entirely freeform? Is it based on anything, or is the world a stand-alone? *curious* (More questions soon to follow, mwahahahaha)

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 02-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #6

I believe the desert is part rocky, part sandy. I think more to the center, it gets very sandy. The place where my character lives though, is quite rocky (she has a scar starting on her right cheek, and going all the way down her neck. She got that from falling down a small cliff when she was a child)

Steelsings Roleplay Game

We play it without stats, its entirely freeform. The roleplay is based on the world of Tortall, which is described in the books by Tamora Pierce ("Song of the Lioness" Quartet, telling the story of Alanna of Trebond, who wants to become a knight; "The Immortals" Quartet, telling the story of Daine Sarrasri who has Wild Magic; "Protector of the Small" Quartet, which tells the story of Keladry of Mindelan, who wants to become a knight as well, but doesn't have to disguise herself as a boy to become one.).

-

Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Not meaning to illegitly bump the thread - I've a large post to make in this and this thread's already slid to page two of the thread listing, though. I'll be editting this post later, promised. Right now, I'd just like to make a point that I've not abandonned this thread yet.

(Or the forum to that matter. Blame BoyToy for being distracting.)

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 02:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
(Or the forum to that matter. Blame BoyToy for being distracting.)

Shame on you, BoyToy! Asche auf dein Haupt!

-

Old 03-05-2005, 04:33 AM   #9
delusions of adequacy

How old do people in this world live? 28 just seems a little long in the tooth for an amateur rogue with little pick pocketing experience to get sponsorship in a guild. You wouldn't really be suited to working a market, and be a little old for B&E training. Coming from a small village I doubt you've much experience running the thieves highway for example. If the town was large enough you might be able to put feminine charms to work wooing young, gullible merchants to private interludes and stealing their clobber but you wouldn't be able to work that scheme for very long in one place. It would probably be easier to collect information for the guild, set yourself up as a local constable's regular bit on the side or as a serving girl in an important household. What sort of merchant was Pappa? Your talent may lie in the seedier side of that field, arid regions tend to be big on gems. If he was a wine merchant your own knowledge of it could help when masquerading as someone of a higher class.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
(she has a scar starting on her right cheek, and going all the way down her neck. She got that from falling down a small cliff when she was a child)
Ouchies.

Quote:
Wow, that definitely looks... established. I must admit I'm still a bit bothered about the whole "character needs approving" thing, I prefer "we have the right to delete your character if you're unrealistic/whatever" to that so you can get right down to the RPing if you want... but I understand why it's in place. I also don't think I'd like writing strengths/weaknesses down, as it's one thing I like to explore in my character, not know beforehand...

Gotta hand it to the place, it's well structured. I'd not join simply because I've not read the books and accordingly wouldn't pass the quiz. To be honest I've never gone through a specialized RP like that, specialized in the sense that it is heavily based on books. I mean, I base my RPG, Crimson Feather on Otherland, but no one's had to have read it, I've only snagged the basic concepts... that sort of thing.

Thanks for the link!

I really love their hints for characters and how to make one - I'm now inspired to make pages like that myself for my RPG. There I was, thinking I had the info for everyone already mapped out. That's how wrong I am.

And because this is Chit Chat, I'll take a moment to submit this post and make another about Crimson Feather, so you know what I'm used to doing in my free time and why it's a bit different from what you do.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

<90% irrelevant sidetracking history babble>

We're freeform, like your RPG. What's also very important is that Crimson Feather is a means of mine to cheat - I've started countless roleplays in the past, but if you have ten to juggle, you can't dedicate enough time to all of them - it's crazy. I had to learn that. If you try and run several roleplays at the same time, regardless how good the ideas may be, they'll shrivel up and die.

RPs I've had the past (just look at the volume, the explanations are only there if you want to read them, they're not the point of this list):
KraiaKy - a roleplay universe not entirely owned by me, but given the name by me. This was a network of planets, each of which was represented online as a forum on InsideTheWeb.com. The genre was fantasy and it was all I did for the first years of my online time. I hate it now. Thankfully, InsideTheWeb.com no longer exists and so the decision to stay or not was not mine. Dragons, dinosaurs, paladins, dark magic... you name it. I had a couple of planets in this one, five or six or so I think.
City of Flame and Black Desert Sun - technically part of KraiaKy - CoF and BDS were counterpart planets in different dimensions. The inhabitants were linked to each other, so anyone living on BDS had a CoF counterpart. Other than that, they had no similarities... CoF was a desert planet inhabited by four species of dragons each with their own version of history regarding how CoF became a desert, and BDS was an underground cave system with living, luminous stones that were, if they were large enough, worshipped in temples. Black Desert Sun I've always liked, it's the part of KraiaKy I miss the most. I made it non-freeform at the time, and each location in BDS tweaked the stats someone had. I think there were 6 stats and each went from 1-10... you had 35 points you could distribute. The main villain (gamemaster character) had 60 points, of course. I'll shut up about BDS now because I can go on for ages... *nostalgia*
Oddworld - There may have been a name for this one. Anyway, I started an RP on Oddworld once - a couple of people joined, but no one ever RPed, so I consider it to have been a "never started off" one.
Sehto - A pokémon game where the pokéball devices commonly don't discriminate - so if you're human, you can be caught, too. A nightmare, hellish place, which only became apparent towards the end when people realised how bloody sadistic they'd been. It was a "think before you act" moral-of-the-story RPG I made for my girlfriend. It had the desired effect, plus an extra scaring.
Dusk Fallen - Modern day RPG set primarily in London, where a radicalist otherkin group is looking for ways to get more political attention than Greenpeace - and, ideally, wipeout mankind. (Yes, it was otherkin criticism. I think I'm entitled to that, being otherkin myself.) One had the choice of being supportative or against that grouping. We timestamped all posts so that even though we played for a couple of months, we barely finished a week IC. And then it died. It had three players at peak point... *cries*
Prophetic - A cyberpunk/fantasy/modern view of the world after the polar caps melted. People found telepathy, but they would die trying to use it, except for those who were infected with a virus that 'stole their soul' and rendered them not needing one. They would die ~20 years after infection, though, gradually phasing out until the strain on their tissue would cause a heart attack or other failure. Those people were called Sifters and kept away from society whilst at the same time being treated somewhat as slaves, as they were the only that could teleport. I called it Prophetic because I wanted to set it into the universe of The Prophecy, and get the Sifters involved in a new fallenangels-humans war of sorts. It never even started.

I might be missing some. The list seems too small.

Now, I'm not about to make statements about quality about the above. I'm thinking there'll be a reason they didn't pick up.

Anyway, all my first RPGs had one thing in common - they were for kids, unlike: Sehto, Dusk Fallen, Prophetic... they were either disturbing or just downright nasty. Those three were created after I made Crimson Feather. Crimson Feather was intended adult. The amount of "adult content" in the OOC channels of places like Raptor Clan (not mine) and Black Desert Sun was pretty high, mostly because of the general liberal mindset of the otherkin that made up about 90% of the players. But it was shallow, sex-only stuff. I didn't paticularily enjoy that so I decided to create a background for them to RP on. The basis of Crimson Feather was a story set in the KraiaKy universe, and then...

</90% irrelevant sidetracking history babble>

Then I read Otherland and wanted a universe like that. Somewhere where you could essentially chose your genre - you could wander off into space somewhere and call it sci-fi, you could involve yourself in political things on earth, you could play fantasy and cyberpunk if you involved yourself in the internet.

Crimson Feather is nothing else but me cheating. I used the ability to create online simulations to take some of my old RPGs and revive them as parts of this world. Parts that we'd leave if they got boring. But the fact CF was and is in a constant state of flux has kept it alive for years. I first made it midway in the year 2000.

So it's not really solidly based on anything. It's just a world with the ability to be what we, as players, just happen to feel like. Or what it needs to be to further the plot. Accordingly, the only rule a character needs to truly adhere to whilst creating their character is that their character is human when that char is offline. The character's online avatar can be anything.

Additionally, and maybe most importantly, I expect the players to feel at home. I'm not going to drag their characters through a plot whether they want to or not. I'm more likely to sit back and let them do what they want, and occasionally nudge the entire plot a bit further along. But fact is, Crimson Feather exists as a means for people to indulge in personal plotlines they have going.

*deep breath*

So, to get back on topic

I didn't get the impression the SS RPG was strongly encouraging mini plots. Wrong impression? (Note that it isn't criticism, Black Desert Sun didn't encourage mini plots at all, either, it just existed for the main plot really, and it was great fun!)

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #12

I think the Steelsings RP has to be well structured, because it is based on the books - A lot.

For example: Right now the RP is in a time before the events in "Trickster's Queen" (or was it "Trickster's Choice"? I don't know) - apparently there was a rebellion of a group of people in that book, and this rebellion will happen in about two months in the RP (I haven't read that book yet, though).

Also, I think it makes sense to restrict people from creating characters that are related to the characters from the books.

Also, teenage girls are half-restricted (it must be a VERY good character, to get a teenage girl approved), because everybody wanted to play one.
This is due to the nature of Tamora Pierce's books: The main protagonists are all female (except for one character in the "Circle of Magic" books, and that series plays in a completely different world). In "Song of the Lioness", you follow Alanna of Trebond who disguises herself as a boy in order to switch places with her brother Thom, and become a knight. (she also has violet eyes, red hair, and magic)
In "The Immortals" you follow the Wild Mage Veralidaine (Daine) Sarrasri, who can talk to all animals, and turn into animals etc. (normally Wild Magic is limited to one focus animal. Some people are good with horses, some with dolphins, and so on. Also, normally people with Wild Magic can't shapechange. There's a reason why Daine can do that, but it's to difficult to explain it all without spoilers).
In "Protector of the Small", you follow Keladry of Mindelan who also becomes wants to become a knigth. At that time, it is legal for girls to become knights, but none had applied in the ten years since it became so.
As far as I know, in the "Trickster" books, you follow Alanna's daughter Alianne, but that's all I know.

Both girls and boys read the books, but I think the girls are the majority. And many of them are teens, too. One of the mods is younger than me (I think she turns 14 soon)!

Healing magic is restricted right now, because there were too many (Alanna has healing magic, so everyone wanted it too).

Wild Magic is also banned, becaue after "The Immortals", where it was introduced, everybody wanted it, even though it is said in the books, that it is very rare. Also, magic (called "The Gift") is not encouraged, especially if a character has huge amounts of it. Same with the Sight.

Knights and Nobles are difficult to get in, because it is not very common for rich people to go into a seedy Inn in Lower Corus, that has a pretty bad reputation.

Some occupations are discouraged (though not banned), because they became quite popular after a character (especially if they are mayor characters) in the books had that occupation. Seamstresses (after the character Lalasa in "Protector of the Small") are one example.

I also found out that you only have to get your first character approved. I guess they assume that after that, you know what is good, and what is a No-No.

Shari (now called "Yabissa", because they told me that they had a lot of characters with names starting with "Sh". It would be too much confusion. "Yabissa" means "dry one") was approved, by the way. She's older now, though. 28. I'll not use her right away, though, because I have to think of a good reason why she is allowed to walk around, and has not been married to someone yet. I may stick with the idea of her parents being supporters of Queen Thayet (who also opened schools for everyone), but I thought of making her having some variation of Intersexuality (used to be called "Hermaphrodite"), which might make marrying her to someone difficult (because it is a medieval setting, that is.).

Also, I need a good reason of how she learned to pickpocket. The thing is, that if you are caught pickpocketing, you lose a hand, and that pretty much ends that career.

Until then, I will use my other character, Gariel Goodmold. A 30 year old, grey-haired, wandering Minstrel, with two different eye colours (which is a pretty BAD thing to have in medieval times. Good thing there's no thing like the devil in the books. Only different types of goods, and Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos).

In the first 6 month after having been approved to the RP, you can have only two characters, because that is easier to manage.

-

Old 03-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
For example: Right now the RP is in a time before the events in "Trickster's Queen" (or was it "Trickster's Choice"? I don't know) - apparently there was a rebellion of a group of people in that book, and this rebellion will happen in about two months in the RP (I haven't read that book yet, though).
I haven't read any of the books, but I have respect for those who can set up a roleplay that doesn't follow the same plotline but has a couple of it's events tangent the plot! It sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about that.

Quote:
Also, I think it makes sense to restrict people from creating characters that are related to the characters from the books.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Healing magic is restricted right now, because there were too many (Alanna has healing magic, so everyone wanted it too).
I'm generally opposed to magic (and non-magic shapeshifting) in any roleplay, no matter how fantastic. The fewest people can play a mage convincingly... most just get stuck in the whole "look at me, I can make objects float" aspect of it, and their character personality is neglected. So I can understand how magic of any sort would be restricted! I just avoid fantasy completely these days.

The most fantastic character in Crimson Feather is the gamemaster character, Dread. Dread can invade people's dreams (it's an astral/electromagnetic phenomenom) and convince them of their own death. He's not a pleasant fellow, but his character is only interesting because of his personality, which has far more depth than your average sociopath might... At least I like to flatter myself with that thought. Not sure if the claim is right - I can't look at it from a truly outside perspective, afterall. Dread is bound by freeform rules, though, so he doesn't get to do anything to anyone without the OOC permission, or that it's required to "moderate" an IC action gone awry.

Quote:
I also found out that you only have to get your first character approved. I guess they assume that after that, you know what is good, and what is a No-No.
Oh, good!

Quote:
(now called "Yabissa", because they told me that they had a lot of characters with names starting with "Sh". It would be too much confusion. "Yabissa" means "dry one")
Admittedly, I like the name... but not the translation!

Quote:
Also, I need a good reason of how she learned to pickpocket. The thing is, that if you are caught pickpocketing, you lose a hand, and that pretty much ends that career.
Uh-oh. I'd love to help you in this regard, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the world. But if I think of anything that would work in a medieval setting off-hand, I'll be sure to post it.

Quote:
Until then, I will use my other character, Gariel Goodmold. A 30 year old, grey-haired, wandering Minstrel, with two different eye colours
What colours? (*noseynoseynosey*)

Quote:
In the first 6 month after having been approved to the RP, you can have only two characters, because that is easier to manage.
I think in the last version of Crimson Feather, I had 12 characters at one point. Only about four were seriously deep characters, though, the others were just character sheets of people who had some relevance to the plotline but were flat and were rarely played...

Just two characters would kill me, I think.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Off-Topic:

Oh, oh, oh. Just a random bit of information. I also have something to do with the webgame quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl, around which there are several clans and communities that roleplay out their actions, and the history I created for one of the in-game clans (The Immolators Guilds) was just accepted as official RPing background for (one of) the biggest communitie(s)! *soooo proud of that, all fuzzywarm, had to share* *dances*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerridwen
ooc: I totally agree and beg you to continue, you have always been an awesome player and writer. I cannot see how this would do anything but enhance the rich history and role play of the game itself. Let alone opening up a new avenue to our guilds, and using them as part of the story line of the overall game we all love and hate. LOL.

[...]

Quote:
OOC:

This post is made by partial permission of Cerridwen. The characters
included herein are all fictional - there are no players behind them,
and there should be no players behind them. I have run them so far,
but as they are NPCs, anyone who wishes to steal them for a plot is
welcome to do so, though I ask they please stay true to the attitudes
and historic events [these will all be revealed bit by bit over the
next few days if all goes well], for the sake of continuity.

I think before anyone else responds, Cerridwen should okay this. She
is a "gamemaster" of these Halls and accordingly, I don't wish to
infringe on her rights. Whilst parts of this have been pre-approved
in their essence, the post itself is being typed only now, so the
specifics still need looking at. I'd appreciate if you could all
respect that.

Mercurian and Narayan Steele are Immolators, and in the realms I have
so far RPed in, are the only daywalkers. They're insanely powerful
and thus *need* approving, alone for that reason already, and then
because they are describing a part of the game others may already
have planned for - at any rate, if Cerri' disapproves, then it would
be powerplaying to keep them here, NPCs or not.

[...]

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
I haven't read any of the books, but I have respect for those who can set up a roleplay that doesn't follow the same plotline but has a couple of it's events tangent the plot! It sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about that.
I'll tell you if I can think of any more things. I can't remember any right now (I haven't got the link to the RP chatroom.

But I know that there was a war with Scanra (a nordic neighbour. A bit like Scandinavian countries, and the Vikings.), and a conflict with Carthak (a southern Neighbour across a strait of sea, like some african countries. It is huge, and has a large war force), in the books. I don't know how much that has influenced the RP, but it probably did some damage to the people of Corus.

Quote:
I'm generally opposed to magic (and non-magic shapeshifting) in any roleplay, no matter how fantastic. The fewest people can play a mage convincingly... most just get stuck in the whole "look at me, I can make objects float" aspect of it, and their character personality is neglected. So I can understand how magic of any sort would be restricted! I just avoid fantasy completely these days.
Well, magic isn't restricted per se. It's just characters with larger than average Gifts. Every person with the Gift gets trained - And untrained Gift is extremely dangerous, so the people in that world see to it for Gifted people to get trained. Someone with a really large gift is very likely to go to the large universities in Carthak, or to the City of the Gods. And someone who is a powerful sorcerer is unlikely to hang around thieves and cutthroats. Or even go into the lower city.

People with small or medium gifts are okay. There are different types of Gifts - some have healing magic, others are especially good with fire. In the "Song of the Lioness", it is mentioned that the Gods punish those people who try to use
a type of Gift which the person had not been given (apparently most people COULD use different sorts of the Gift, but they might not be very talented. The Gods did not mean for them to use that type of Gift).

My character Gariel has a very tiny bit of Magic. It is nothing spectacular. He can do tricks with it, and probably create entertaining illusions (his job is to entertain people, after all.). It is nothing that can change the world. He wouldn't be able to use it in combat, or anything.

By the way, Gariel is also very clumsy, and is not very good at fighting physically. Only his hands are nimble, which is good, because he plays the lute.

Quote:
The most fantastic character in Crimson Feather is the gamemaster character, Dread. Dread can invade people's dreams (it's an astral/electromagnetic phenomenom) and convince them of their own death. He's not a pleasant fellow, but his character is only interesting because of his personality, which has far more depth than your average sociopath might... At least I like to flatter myself with that thought. Not sure if the claim is right - I can't look at it from a truly outside perspective, afterall. Dread is bound by freeform rules, though, so he doesn't get to do anything to anyone without the OOC permission, or that it's required to "moderate" an IC action gone awry.
That character sounds cool!

Quote:
Admittedly, I like the name... but not the translation!
Well, I thought it would fit, because she is from a desert area. So it's more her origin that is described, rather than her character.

Quote:
Uh-oh. I'd love to help you in this regard, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the world. But if I think of anything that would work in a medieval setting off-hand, I'll be sure to post it.
I think I have a pretty good one. She has an older brother. Let's say, he has something (sweets, something he took away from her, etc.), and Yabissa wants that. So she tries to get it from his pocket. At first she wouldn't succeed, but would still keep trying. And of course, a little child trying to get something from her older brother wouldn't get it's hand chopped off.

Quote:
What colours? (*noseynoseynosey*)
Right eye green, left eye blue. I once had a math teacher with two different eye colours, by the way.

Quote:
I think in the last version of Crimson Feather, I had 12 characters at one point. Only about four were seriously deep characters, though, the others were just character sheets of people who had some relevance to the plotline but were flat and were rarely played...

Just two characters would kill me, I think.
Well, the two character rule is only for the first 6 months. After that you may have more.

-

Old 03-05-2005, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Off-Topic:

Oh, oh, oh. Just a random bit of information. I also have something to do with the webgame quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl, around which there are several clans and communities that roleplay out their actions, and the history I created for one of the in-game clans (The Immolators Guilds) was just accepted as official RPing background for (one of) the biggest communitie(s)! *soooo proud of that, all fuzzywarm, had to share* *dances*

Well, Conga Rats!

I don't know about that RP, but it is still great to hear.

-

Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #17
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Well, magic isn't restricted per se.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I thought that. It's just my general opinion on magic. I like that in this world you're telling me about, untrained magic is dangerous, though, that does balance it out a little.

Quote:
My character Gariel has a very tiny bit of Magic. It is nothing spectacular. He can do tricks with it, and probably create entertaining illusions (his job is to entertain people, after all.)
What's the scope of those illusions? Can you name an example? I'd love to hear more.

Quote:
By the way, Gariel is also very clumsy, and is not very good at fighting physically.
I normally don't have characters that can fight at all - I prefer having people's strength be their mind or their charisma. Dread for example is so weak I like to joke that you can breathe at him and he'll fall over.

Quote:
That character sounds cool!
Well, he's the gamemaster character. I can link you to his profile, but it wouldn't tell you that much, I guess, I'm horrible at keeping it updated. He's also into the whole "illusion" thing - and generally anything which manipulates what people see, feel, and the rest of that.

Quote:
Well, I thought it would fit, because she is from a desert area. So it's more her origin that is described, rather than her character.
Oh! Right. Silly me, I should have realised that. I still don't quite like the translation, though... but at least it's not something as cliché as "child of the sun" or suchlike. I had a character called Baratequaaj (a/k/a ArA) once, the translation of that is "silver water". Normally I take english names or names without a meaning, though, e.g. Dread, Rapture or Thennatyr. Anyway, I really like "Yabissa".

Quote:
I think I have a pretty good one. She has an older brother. Let's say, he has something (sweets, something he took away from her, etc.), and Yabissa wants that. So she tries to get it from his pocket. At first she wouldn't succeed, but would still keep trying. And of course, a little child trying to get something from her older brother wouldn't get it's hand chopped off.
That works So I assume your character will be cautious using her thieving skills?

Quote:
Right eye green, left eye blue. I once had a math teacher with two different eye colours, by the way.
Same colours? Was it the math teacher that inspired you to the two different eye colours, or what did? (Yes, I refuse to cease being nosey!)

Quote:
Well, the two character rule is only for the first 6 months. After that you may have more.
I'd have to wait six months! There's no way I'd survive that long.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I thought that. It's just my general opinion on magic. I like that in this world you're telling me about, untrained magic is dangerous, though, that does balance it out a little.
Yeah, it does balance it.

Quote:
What's the scope of those illusions? Can you name an example? I'd love to hear more.
Well, illusions. He can produce images, that can entertain someone. Let's say, he makes produces the image of a monkey (everybody likes monkeys!). The monkey can move around, and all. Of course, it wouldn't fool a more powerful sorcerer. People without Gift might be fooled for some time, but not for too long. Also, since his Gift is small, he can't hold the illusions for too long, or it will start to take energy from his lifeforce (Performing magic in that world tires the magic user. The more magic you have, the more magic you can do. People with less magic tire more quickly form the use of their Gift. They have to rest to regain their energy.)

Quote:
I normally don't have characters that can fight at all - I prefer having people's strength be their mind or their charisma. Dread for example is so weak I like to joke that you can breathe at him and he'll fall over.
Actually, he can't fight at all, either. He prefers to fight with words. He carries a staff, but that is only as a support during his journeys. He'd probably put his eye out with the staff, before managing to hit an opponent.

Luckily, he is quite tall (for those times). He is about 1,90 m tall. That puts off some people - they don't know that he can't fight, and is clumsy.

He's not very muscular. He is fit, but that's all.

Quote:
Well, he's the gamemaster character. I can link you to his profile, but it wouldn't tell you that much, I guess, I'm horrible at keeping it updated. He's also into the whole "illusion" thing - and generally anything which manipulates what people see, feel, and the rest of that.
It would be interesting anyway. I can put up links to mine, as soon as I have put them somewhere online. (I can't link to the forum entry, because you need a password to get to that area, which I am not allowed to pass on.)

Quote:
Oh! Right. Silly me, I should have realised that. I still don't quite like the translation, though... but at least it's not something as cliché as "child of the sun" or suchlike. I had a character called Baratequaaj (a/k/a ArA) once, the translation of that is "silver water". Normally I take english names or names without a meaning, though, e.g. Dread, Rapture or Thennatyr. Anyway, I really like "Yabissa".
It's an arabian name.

Quote:
That works So I assume your character will be cautious using her thieving skills?
That goes without saying. Of course she got better with time (in the end she got the things she wanted to get from her brothers pockets, without him noticing). Also, she is really inconspicious. People often don't notice her, if she doesn't make herself noticed.

Quote:
Same colours? Was it the math teacher that inspired you to the two different eye colours, or what did? (Yes, I refuse to cease being nosey!)
I don't remember which colours exactly. But he was a very cool maths teacher. He was usually friendly (but if someone annoyed him, he could shout. Like that one time when some students were too loud out in the corridor, while there were classes going on). He also put gel in his hair, and the ips were dyed blonde. Like a blonde Hedgehog.

He was really nice.

Quote:
I'd have to wait six months! There's no way I'd survive that long.
"That is why you fail." - Yoda

Sorry, couldn't resist...

-

Old 03-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
How old do people in this world live? 28 just seems a little long in the tooth for an amateur rogue with little pick pocketing experience to get sponsorship in a guild. You wouldn't really be suited to working a market, and be a little old for B&E training. Coming from a small village I doubt you've much experience running the thieves highway for example. If the town was large enough you might be able to put feminine charms to work wooing young, gullible merchants to private interludes and stealing their clobber but you wouldn't be able to work that scheme for very long in one place. It would probably be easier to collect information for the guild, set yourself up as a local constable's regular bit on the side or as a serving girl in an important household. What sort of merchant was Pappa? Your talent may lie in the seedier side of that field, arid regions tend to be big on gems. If he was a wine merchant your own knowledge of it could help when masquerading as someone of a higher class.

Well, it isn't really a guild. It is just the court of the Rogue. She doesn't know that the Inn is the Headquarters of the Rogue. She has been travelling a lot, and done some pickpocketing on those travels, too.

But I'll take your advice into consideration. Thank you.

Here is some text from Steelsings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsings
Being a member of the Rogue is highly illegal. It is a capital offence to have any affiliation whatsoever with the Rogue (you get hung if your caught, sometimes without a trial). This is because, basically everyone in the Rogue is a criminal, and the main aim of the Rogue is to make as much money as possible (as a group) illegally. The reason the group exists is for the added safety of running as a pack. As "payment" for this safety however, the King/Queen of the Rogue will extract his or her share of loot from each member (exactly 10% i.e. one tenth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsings
The Rogue, by nature, is not an extremely rigid-structured sort of thing. There is thus no real set application process. If your character is relatively educated regarding Roguely affairs, they likely know that Asreena is queen, and may know that Wulf is second. If a character knows this, they also know the password" - a reference to "Cold ale" in conjunction with the theives' sign. If a character has yet to be initiated into the Rogue, they likely know none of this, and thus would only have rumors regarding the Divine Realms Inn to go on. They could then simply ask around, but be warned that this will rouse suspicions from a naturally-paranoid group of Rogues. Either way, they'll likely get to talk to Asreena in the end, and she, along with officers, will be the one to make decisions regarding entry.

-

Old 03-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #20
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
He'd probably put his eye out with the staff, before managing to hit an opponent.
*grins* Or he might hit the opponent in unexpected places. "Hey! Watch where you swing that thing, you madman!"

Quote:
It would be interesting anyway. I can put up links to mine, as soon as I have put them somewhere online.
I'd love to see that! Give me a shout when you have them up, please?

Dread/Ian's profile is this: http://blood.datavibe.net/crimsonfea...acter.php?id=2

Quote:
It's an arabian name.
Oh, an existing language! I'm so used to worlds having their own languages I forget there's more than one language on this planet of ours, too (and I'm bilingual ). Baratequaaj for example has nothing to do with existing languages. But come to think of it, I do that from time to time, too. There's a country in the current Crimson Feather simulation called "Isrigning" - ice rain in icelandic. I also like the german version "Eisregen". Pretty sounds. *is so easily entertained*

Quote:
"That is why you fail." - Yoda
Aaah! Kill it! <.<

Yoda

Trademark Overuserâ„¢