You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #21
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
*grins* Or he might hit the opponent in unexpected places. "Hey! Watch where you swing that thing, you madman!"

Tehe...yeah, or that.

Quote:
Oh, an existing language! I'm so used to worlds having their own languages I forget there's more than one language on this planet of ours, too (and I'm bilingual ). Baratequaaj for example has nothing to do with existing languages. But come to think of it, I do that from time to time, too. There's a country in the current Crimson Feather simulation called "Isrigning" - ice rain in icelandic. I also like the german version "Eisregen". Pretty sounds. *is so easily entertained*
Well, in the game there are several different languages. But we don't know much about them. There is Scanran in Scanra.

Also, in Galla they speak Gallan. The last names consist of the fathers name plus "-sra" at the end. If the child has the mothers name (if there is no father), then you add an "-sri" instead. For example: Daine Sarrasri.

In Carthak there they speak the Carthaki language, and so on.

Also, the Yamani Islands have quite a lot japanese words (they are practically the equivalent of Japan. Complete with the closing themselves off from the rest of the world.)

The Brown Isles are a bit like Indonesia, I think - They have indigenous people, so it might be similar to the colonial times of Indonesia.

I don't know if Tortall has it's own language - everybody seems to speak Common there. Most people in that world speak Common, even those from Scanra, Galla, etc.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 AM   #22

I finally got Gariel's profile online:

Gariel Goodmold

I have to change the file name, so that it shows up as the title of the page. Also, I had originally coded the page entirely by hand, BUT stupid geocities wanted me to use their HTML Editor. I NEED NO FRIGGING EDITOR!!!!! All I need is my simple text editor, and HTML!!!!!

Well, anyway, tell me what you think please, and please ignore how bad the picture looks if it is not fully viewed (you can click on it for a full view).

-

Old 03-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #23
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I finally got Gariel's profile online: Gariel Goodmold
Pretty page - nice background colour (unconventional, too)! Regarding geocities, you can use filemanager to upload files you made. At least, you could in the past, and they have a simple text editor for HTML or text files on the level of the filemanager, too... or had... try for that?

Quote:
Well, anyway, tell me what you think please, and please ignore how bad the picture looks if it is not fully viewed (you can click on it for a full view).
Looks like a solid character to me. I'd be wary making anything in my character's history to do with fame, myself, but then it's not that important for his current life so I think that's a neat filler. I really like that you went more in-depth on what the different coloured eyes mean in the world the character is in - and paticularily the effects on his own profession.

Quote:
1,90 m (6.2 feet)
It sounds right to me. 1.90 is pretty tall, though, in itself. I'm not used to feet and inches as measurement, either, but I seem to vaguely recall that 1,80 is 6', roughly at least.

I hope that helps.

Edit: I find it a bit sad that we seem to be the only people talking in this thread. Surely there must be others who are interested in the topic? ...surely? *prods meekly*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #24
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I just recently took an hour of my time to write up a fanfic sort of story for the Labyrinth of Time. I find it has a lot to do with text-only roleplay, accordingly, I want to share it here. As it might include game spoilers, I'll be putting it into spoiler tags, and I'd like to ask all who intend on playing the game and have not yet completed it to, well, not read it!

Spoiler:
First Entry

I've been fortunate enough to find a scrap of paper in this strange world. It feels like I have been here for weeks now, gone without food and water, yet I keep going, driven by some magical force unknown to me. I would call this a diary and write it accordingly, but how do you number the days in a place where there is neither the quiet ticking of clocks and no sunlight, no dawn and no dusk? It feels awkward alone to be writing this down, but I feel it must be done, lest I dread I will lapse into insanity.

I have given up trying to understand this world. Perhaps this is all just a dream, a nightmare induced by a fever, and I am ill, lying in a hospital somewhere, memories of my unfortunate infection wiped from me by the same mechanisms haunting me with these images. But it feels so much more real than that.

Perhaps I should start from the beginning. It is a Labyrinth, apparently. I dare not use the label as I'm unsure how valid such a structural term is in a place where there is no space. But it is the term he used. Daedalus. This name is one I have heard in legends creating associations of feathers and craft and minotaurs. He claims to have lived those legends. He claims to have served King Minos, he claims the minotaur - the bestial son of Minos' wife - was real. He claims Dante was right - he claims Minos reigns in the land of the dead, as a judge.

It has all been too much for me. It seems like a sick practical joke. Why would Minos want another Labyrinth built, why would he seek to dominate the world throughout the ages? Why would he bother with such powers - he was a just king, not one wrought by a primal hunger for power. Or has death really changed him so much?

I certainly write as though struck by fever. I should try and focus more, I am leaving out details that are important. This labyrinth I am stuck in now is a construct outside time and space, yet it tangents the fabric of the real world at many points in time, in many spaces. It is not complete. Daedalus spoke fearfully of its completion, yet in a place without time, what does that mean? Do I have eternity to interfere, or was it already too late before I even properly perceived this place? How would I know?

Second Entry

If this place had a mind of its own, which I no longer would dare deem impossible, then it would most likely consider me frail and pathetic. It has a voice: It laughs. The laughter is real, it echoes from a twisted clown's face outside a mirror maze, but it is much more than just the effect of a fun fair gobbled up by the greed of this supernatural entity. Each door I find is cast into such darkness that I barely dare step through - there is no guarantee that beyond there will be ground. There is no guarantee there will be a way back. To call me terrified of each new doorframe is an understatement.

What I see and what I do not see are not questions of logics. I have sought out places I knew with my gaze from different angles and locations, only to find nothing. All that seems to be a constant here is a flat background reminding of a cloudy sky void of a sun. Enveloped by this azure tapestry hovers an island I have yet to reach, just large enough to harbour a temple donning a fractal pyramid atop it, a three-dimensional version of the Sirpinsky triangle after perhaps three iterations. Thankfully it does not aspire infinity, even outside space-time, where infinity surface area and zero volume might well be a possibility. The concept irks me too much, even here. I am glad the Labyrinth does not harbour such sadism.

Third Entry

This place is a gold mine for an archeologist. It has just occured to me that I have easily begun to take this world for granted, that the irregular leaps from age to age have instilled either fear or apathy only in me. It is now that I dare admire it. It is beautiful. And, as is often the case on the level of universes, that beauty warns of inherit danger.

This place harbours so many traps that I have been most fortunate not to have been ensnared by it's vicious, otherworldy tendrils. Right now - and I use the term 'now' loosely - I am sat on the stairs of a Mayan or Aztec Ziggurat of sorts painted in gloriously bright colours, the fingers of my left hand wrapped around the handle of an electric lantern. I am here for the second time now - the first time I had no nerve to write.

This place has, I have found, a sense of humour. Black humour, truth be told, but humour at least, and thus I have come to appreciate it. Perhaps it really is an organic structure with thought. I don't know what else would have caused the ground before me to be split open by lightning as I tried to cross a road with the traffic lights set to red - it seems more likely to be intended humourous play from some childish deity than to spawn from the rules of this realm directly. It shocked me at first - I believed it was I that was getting struck by lightning! That would have been quite a farce. But whatever caused the lightning wished me no serious physical harm.

I fell through the crater in the asphalt and found myself before what I would call a native structure - native in that it followed no rules of physics as we know it in itself, resembling an upside down version of a house, loosely, with no outside walls and the inside stairs visible like the guts of a dissected otherworldly frog. I stepped into it only to realise I could not map it. It took panicking before I found my way back, drenched in cold sweat and desperate for means of passing through.

I don't know how I came up with the idea of entering twice - such surreality can twist one's own thoughts into strange paths - but it worked. I entered, turned left, and walked straight until I was in the room I had started out. I left - finding myself not back where I had started, but in another room, turned, and stepped through the door again. Instead of being trapped in the surreal maze for another moment, I stood before the Ziggurat.

There are means to leave this location and they involve reaching the fractal island I spoke of before, but I will not bore you with the details of that now. I have achieved a calmness sprouted from pride here, the pride of having mastered an illogical puzzle in an illogical world. If I can still make a difference, I am nearing the end of my quest, and I doubt I am in a hurry. Perhaps now is time to take advantage of this situation. There is beauty to this world - there is beauty to a perfect example of an Aztec Ziggurat - there is beauty to the alien sky and beauty to the interwoven celtic knots and designs - there is beauty to the maze of mirrors in which you cannot see yourself and beauty to the crystalline cliffs between worlds. It takes calmness to appreciate them. It takes awareness to perceive them.

Fourth Entry

The reality of this unreality has come back to haunt me. I have reached the hovering island. Within it, I have found the living neck and head of a bull, an aggressive minotaur, attached to a wall like a trophy from a hunt - except that it lives, horns sharp as ever. I have reasons to believe this, as the only active defense mechanism the Labyrinth has so far sported, is what I must find means to pass to fulfill my quest and escape this lucid nightmare. Yet it is a flexible beast - I have since aquired a sword and various other weapons, yet I cannot hit it - all that my weapons clash against are its horns.

In strange ways this monstrosity has filled my heart with certain hopes and is fueling my further attempts. A sign of life in this strange desert of time is a true gem. If my goal is truly to slay this trapped beast, I know I will regret it.

Fifth Entry

I am not getting anywhere. I feel as though I can make as much of a difference as the minotaur trapped in the center.

Perhaps this quest is unsolvable. Perhaps I will remain trapped in this maze for eternity, never thirsty or hungry or wishing to sleep, never dying, yet dead already. Perhaps destruction would require time or space as it does not exist here. I do not fear that. I fear, far more, the opposite. And I fear that the solution will evade me for the eternity I have to solve it, trapping me both in this sentient Labyrinth and the grotesque quest to destroy it. I must break free of at least one...

I have spent a lot of time thinking, mostly sinking into pointless thoughts regarding the capricious nature of this place. I have noticed subtleties, such as myself feeling as though enveloped in a bubble of air, momentum a touch too persistant to be normal, as though I were detatched from my surroundings and fighting myself through an oozing, breathable liquid. There is more resistance here, more friction, but less warmth. Simultaneously, it is this liquid which seems to be the source of light. With no sun to radiate, the light must come from somewhere. It is selective in where it casts itself, but closer inspection of shadows, paticularily from room to room, show that there is indeed a discrepancy, and accordingly, there is no single light source.

There is no light source at all.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #25
Feind der Anonymitaet!

(continued)

Spoiler:
Sixth Entry

The minotaur is gone. I have painted the mirrors and they no longer cast the illusion. The sadness that has grown within me, however, is no illusion. The abstraction of the keystone before me is no illusion. I hold the means to destroy it in my hand. It has a sandy texture to it - the keystone, I mean. I let my fingers drift across it, feeling an electric tingle of powerful magic. That is the only way I can describe it - magic.

Perhaps I have not objectively been gone for longer than a heartbeat, but subjectively, months have passed, strange, abstract months suggesting the passing of time. Here, even the subjective sensation of time passing seems off. It does not feel quite right, it feels more as though perhaps it occasionally looped in on itself, like knots in a rope. Perhaps if I finish this quest it will merely loop back on itself.

To get back to my point, subjective months ago, I would have laughed at anyone using such a word - magic. Yet now here I am, utilizing it myself, feeling it myself and meaning it with it's full implications.

Perhaps if I destroy the keystone, the surreality will complete. Perhaps if I destroy the keystone, it will destroy me.

I'll never know.

I'm not doing it.

I'm unsure where else I could post it, so I'm putting it here for now. I might be rewriting it at a later date, I was interrupted in mid-writing so the flow might've cut there and the rest may seem awkward, but I'm keeping the beginning for sure.

Maybe I'll use bits of it for my walkthrough and review soon to come...

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #26

I got a better webhost now. Now it is completely hand coded.

NEW page

You can see some updates at the bottom.

Also, I drew a picture (not finished yet), of him

I have a feeling that he looks a bit like Haer'Dalis...

-

Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Pretty page - nice background colour (unconventional, too)! Regarding geocities, you can use filemanager to upload files you made. At least, you could in the past, and they have a simple text editor for HTML or text files on the level of the filemanager, too... or had... try for that?
They have both, and they insisted that I use both.

geocities

Quote:
Looks like a solid character to me. I'd be wary making anything in my character's history to do with fame, myself, but then it's not that important for his current life so I think that's a neat filler. I really like that you went more in-depth on what the different coloured eyes mean in the world the character is in - and paticularily the effects on his own profession.
Well, he's probably as famous as you could get in Britain (that's what Tortall is modelled after) during the Middle Ages. Some songs were popular, and were known by many people, because they were passed on.

Quote:
It sounds right to me. 1.90 is pretty tall, though, in itself. I'm not used to feet and inches as measurement, either, but I seem to vaguely recall that 1,80 is 6', roughly at least.
Now there is a character that is even taller: 6.3 feet. (I guess they will bump their heads on the rafters if they don't watch out. )

Quote:
I hope that helps.
Thanks, it does.

Quote:
Edit: I find it a bit sad that we seem to be the only people talking in this thread. Surely there must be others who are interested in the topic? ...surely? *prods meekly*

Yes, kind of. But I got a plan how we can get more people posting here. All I need is nitzroglycerine, Rubberbands, twenty tons of lemon-Jello, A singing cow, and paperclips - Big ones.

-

Old 03-20-2005, 02:49 PM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
You can see some updates at the bottom.
Oh, wow! Summaries (sort of)! I do summaries for Crimson Feather, too, but that's for an entire RP session, not for a single character. That's awesome, I hope you keep it up.

Quote:
Also, I drew a picture (not finished yet), of him
First let me state you are by far a better artist when it comes to humans than I. Secondly, um, without meaning to revoke the statement, he looks like a she. *sweatdrops* ...sorry! (Edit: You should broaden the shoulders, I guess that would help counter the impression. Guys have broader shoulders than hips, commonly, and girls vice versa. It's a drawing "rule" at least.)

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #29
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Simultaneously?! *head spins*

Quote:
Now there is a character that is even taller: 6.3 feet. (I guess they will bump their heads on the rafters if they don't watch out. )
Now you've made me annoyingly curious about the size-distribution of characters. I want charts! Bar graphs! Percentages!

Quote:
Yes, kind of. But I got a plan how we can get more people posting here. All I need is nitzroglycerine, Rubberbands, twenty tons of lemon-Jello, A singing cow, and paperclips - Big ones.
Indulge me in this plan, please. o.@

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #30
Citizen of Bizarro World

Though I don't much care about RPG, I just had to be the fourth person to post in this thread. It makes me feel special.

Never have I seen such a two-sided argument on ags before, by the way.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Oh, wow! Summaries (sort of)! I do summaries for Crimson Feather, too, but that's for an entire RP session, not for a single character. That's awesome, I hope you keep it up.
Trust me, I hope to keep it up too...

Quote:
First let me state you are by far a better artist when it comes to humans than I. Secondly, um, without meaning to revoke the statement, he looks like a she. *sweatdrops* ...sorry! (Edit: You should broaden the shoulders, I guess that would help counter the impression. Guys have broader shoulders than hips, commonly, and girls vice versa. It's a drawing "rule" at least.)

Thanks, and yes, I know that he does look a bit feminine. Or anrogynous (genderless) - although I prefer the term "Elf" .

I drew broad shoulders, but those clothes he wears make him look as though he has a thin hip. I also tend to think that he looks a bit young - after all he is supposed to be 30 years old, and that is "30 years Middle Ages and you die at the age of 50, if you are lucky"-30. (He has back problems already, as I found out in the RP). Oh, and his right hand looks a bit crippled and small.

I'll try to broaden those shoulders a little...

Quote:
Quote:

Simultaneously?! *head spins*
No, but I couldn't post my website before I didn't change it visually in their editor. They said my picture overlapped my text, ignoring the fact that I had coded the text to wrap around the picture.

Quote:
Quote:
Now you've made me annoyingly curious about the size-distribution of characters. I want charts! Bar graphs! Percentages!
Well, they are mostly very small (like most people in the middle ages). The largest main character in the books was about 5.11 feet tall, I think.

I'll post the Bar Graphs later. The Charts were eaten by my dog, and I set a squad of monkeys to hit the keys of typewriters randomly, in order to prepare the percentages.

Quote:
Quote:

Indulge me in this plan, please. o.@ore...

Okay. *whispers in ear* ...and then I go to...and the jello explodes...broadway musical...with the help of a solar eruption..."Xyzzy"...nothing happens to...shoots the cow...WAINSCOTTING...link the paperclips to form a...and then we'll have some tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
Though I don't much care about RPG, I just had to be the fourth person to post in this thread. It makes me feel special.

Never have I seen such a two-sided argument on ags before, by the way.
You are welcome to join in any time, even if it is just creative criticism (like Crunchy in Milk's post was).

-

Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #32
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
You are welcome to join in any time, even if it is just creative criticism (like Crunchy in Milk's post was).

-
Was this thead about RPG video games or...

In either case, I've quite enjoyed KOTOR, although some may consider it RPG lite.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #33
capsized.

I'm in! I'd like to be a lvl 2 misanthrope.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #34
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Mares: More like about the online version of table-top RPGs.

Anyhoo. Can I share? Is this a private thread? ;P

As Pink found out the other day, I RPG online with a small group of old friends. We're not nearly as full-fledged as Pink and Jaz sound, though... we've only played one full campaign so far and are a bit into our second, we play with stats, and we play once a week.

Our first campaign was in a made-up city on a made-up continent in the generic D&D setting. (No Forgotten Realms notables or Planescape or anything.)

It's a pretty ordinary city, with such standbys as a Mayor, a Temple to Pelor, a sewer system, a bar, a shop, several back alleys, a Mafia, and the Goode-Knight Inn, the Motel 6 of the D&D world that sells cheese-like substance and pie.

Our task was to locate a magic symphony created by the Bard father of the Elven Winemaker who hired us, to keep it out of the hands of a Mafia-like organization called the Family. Along the way we spent way too much time crawling through the sewers and hanging out in local temples.

The party started out with three fellas.

One Half-Orc Barbarian who is dumb as rocks, loves wine, was trained in an all-girls fighting school, and is surprisingly sweet and very bad at intimidating people (which earned him the nickname of Orc Bunny).

One Halfling Rogue who is insanely paranoid (no, I mean REALLY paranoid) and carries around a backpack with so much stuff it's heavier than he is.

One Human Cleric of Pelor, god of the Sun, former Cleric of Groglar, god of Lawn Gnomes. He's uncultured, cusses a lot, and never actually wakes up at dawn like he's supposed to without assistance. He's the leader of the group, but only because no one else wants to be, and nobody really listens to him anyway.

Then I got dragged into the fray. I played a Human Bard who's extremely charismatic and pretty, but very fussy, high-strung, cowardly, and has a vicious streak of humor. She is, oddly enough, rather sweet on the Half-Orc character (who calls her the Brown Haired Lady) and they have this weird flirtation going.

Finally my roommate got dragged in. He played a Half-Elf Druid who was classy, a decent fighter, and seemed to spend a lot of time setting things on fire (which earned her the nickname Miss Toasty).

As you can probably guess, "serious" is not in our vocabulary.

We eventually finished that campaign, losing a couple members along the way. Now we're playing a campaign in the Space Quest universe with a home-brewed ruleset.

At the current moment, our characters are all on board a luxury cruise liner called the Contrived Extravagance. We've just been boarded by Sariens, who have been going around shooting and looting half the crew and passengers and imprisoning the other half. We're the only good guys on board still at liberty.

I'm playing a Vulgar engineer who's main hobbies are technology and trying to understand other sentient species with an attitude akin to Jane Goodall studying the chimpanzees.

Another fellow is playing a small hovering medical droid with an inferiority complex whose warranty expired about a week ago. He and the engineer are currently trying to rescue the crew (despite the fact that we're not exactly born fighters).

Finally we have another fellow playing an expatriate Sarien bounty hunter. He's just pissed at the Sariens toasting his bounty and wants revenge.

It's all a heck of a lot of fun, and our quotes give me great signature fodder.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #35
capsized.

Besides, is anybody playing Neverwinter Nights? Haven't played a P&P game in years and I don't know anybody who does. That game's as close to the real deal as it gets anyway. All you need are the right modules and the right people.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #36
kamikaze hummingbirds

I own it. There are times when I will play it all the time and times where I just wont play it at all.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #37
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Besides, is anybody playing Neverwinter Nights? Haven't played a P&P game in years and I don't know anybody who does. That game's as close to the real deal as it gets anyway. All you need are the right modules and the right people.
I left it at home. Otherwise I'd have challenged ye (and you'd have one, as I've barely played the game).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #38

*pokes the guys* Oi, this is the Chat RPG thread. At least talk tabletop (if Pinksie agrees, that is).

I haven't been playing Gariel a lot recently - I should write another excuse for him at the character central. My last one was that he is currently helping his mother redecorate after the death of his father - He's the tallest one, and so he got the questionable honour of hanging the wall carpets.

Anyway, two friends from the Divide and I have been preparing a campaign recently. It will be my first ever real (well, digital, but other wise real table top with stats) RPG. We are playing in a world which has been devised by the DM, and I will be playing a Kobold (the Kobolds in that world are quite different. They are actually the most intelligent species on that world, if I remember correctly) rogue. Now we only have to find some time to play. The last few weekends were all too busy, sadly (maybe in the holidays).

If you want to learn more about the world, then you can visit the website. Penoriana - Lore of the Anufy (in the DnD section. I am Yabissa - again. I tend to recycle names that I really like )

-

Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #39
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
*pokes the guys* Oi, this is the Chat RPG thread. At least talk tabletop (if Pinksie agrees, that is).
Hush, Jazhara. If they go on, we have an excuse to torture them later

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Hush, Jazhara. If they go on, we have an excuse to torture them later

Woohoo! Alright boys, carry on.

(Mwuahahahahahahaha...)

-