You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Star Trek Enterprise Cancelled

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #1

Default Star Trek Enterprise Cancelled

Oh Man, it's like sam & max all over again, I can't believe the Suits at UPN cancelled Star trek enterprise, www.trekweb.com and of course like the sites to save sam and max, there are sites to save enterprise http://saveenterprise.com/ Hopefully their campgains will be more successfull than the ones for sam and max.

Sigh
Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
delusions of adequacy

No big loss, Jolene Blalock and her assets sit well in any skimpy sci-fi outfit, and Scott Baccula should set his sights on a new version of Quantum Leap, at least then his overbearing moral speeches will fit with its 'god is sending me where I need to go' plot rather than searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq the expanse.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
More slaw!!!

It's not such a bad thing, really, I think.

Star Trek has been run so far into the ground, how far could they really push it, Especially with shows as bland as Enterprise.

I think it's time that Star Trek had a little bit of a rest.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
It's not such a bad thing, really, I think.

Star Trek has been run so far into the ground, how far could they really push it, Especially with shows as bland as Enterprise.

I think it's time that Star Trek had a little bit of a rest.
The problem is they keep rehashing old ground with a happy military based crew flying here and there solving every problem within 2 shows maximum and always painting the 'federation' as in the right. When there was talk of a star trek show set before the original series, in the early years of ftl space craft I had hoped for something a bit more 'privateer' in flavour (just not as bad as firefly) but it never eventuated and I guess it never could due to the very bland concept of a planet wide (and eventually 'quadrant' wide) super power based in San francisco preaching gospel to the world via ships full of multicultural looking fish sticks.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:33 AM   #5
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Can't say I'm surprised or sadenned. Star Trek has been going downhill for many years. I followed the first season of Enterprise but then kind of lost interest. I hear it kind of picked up in quality after that but it still feels like Enterprise didn't have enough of its own to warrant yet another 7-year mission through the stars in which, once again, the humans have to earn the trust of other aliens, and play Galaxy Police. Been there, done that. The concept had potential (in a bare-bones/submarine/FireFly/character-based kind of way), but they were too afraid to actually make something different. Instead they made yet another fancy cruiseship going on high-concept adventures.

Who's the blame? Rick Berman. He's been systematically raping Star Trek for almost 15 years now. DS9 was a good concept thanks to writers like Michael Piller, but it didn't really fly until season 3 when writers stopped caring about what Rick Berman said (and he himself stopped caring as well, since he now had Voyager to play with together with). DS9 season 1 and 2 are only interesting in retrospect, after you've seen the awesome, risk-taking, brain-crushing seasons that followed. Based on the original concepts, VOY could have been a lot more than The Next Next Generation, if Berman hadn't intervened.

Rick Berman said the exact same thing about the franchise needing a rest many times in the past. He said it as VOY was winding down. He also said it after Star Trek: Insurrection (the next movie followed two years later). Feh. Star Trek can only live if it dies, and stays dead for, like, the next ten years.

Meanwhile there's better things to enjoy, such as the new Battlestar Galactica (flawed but also awesome, and headed by Ron D. Moore of the excellent DS9 team).

There. I'm fanboyed out.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
No big loss, Jolene Blalock and her assets sit well in any skimpy sci-fi outfit, and Scott Baccula should set his sights on a new version of Quantum Leap, at least then his overbearing moral speeches will fit with its 'god is sending me where I need to go' plot rather than searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq the expanse.
There isn't going to be a new Quantum Leap series, at least not with Scott Bakula, but there IS going to be a Quantum Leap tv movie, that's coming out in 2005.

Quantum Leap: A Bold Leap Forward
http://imdb.com/title/tt0383588/

It has Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, and it's going to be the movie that gives a brief continuation to the series and also a real big ending to the old series.

Enterprise was and is a good show, the third season was a bit lame, but the fourth season has been quite great. Although I really think the reason why this show has no viewers is the ultra piece of crap theme song, THAT'S not Star Trek material at all.

I agree with everything Marek said, except that I can't really say whether DS9 is good or not, in Finland they only showed only the first or the two first seasons a long time ago. And those weren't that interesting.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Damn them. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Enterprise, but I did enjoy watching it so I'm bummed to hear it's canceled. Simple as that. Bah...

--Erwin
Old 02-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Yeah, I watched the first season but pretty much lost interest as well. I migh catch an episode every now and then and watch it, but I didn't really follow the series anymore. Bummer to see it cancelled, I know it had lots of fans.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Under pressure.

Season three was quite an improvement, and season 4 is even better (from what I've seen so far).

--Erwin
Old 02-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #10

I still think it's a loss rather than 'good for the franchise' I know a lot of people lost interest after the first season but it actually picks up pretty good after that. Really too bad. I don't think the campaign will be of much use though, but I'll still send an email or two

BTW, I thought the 'prequel setting' worked out pretty good.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I can see the Star Trek franchise making a resurgence in a few years time, but it isn't going to happen just yet, methinks. One day, though, Paramount will remember a large franchise they had once and commission somebody to exploit it - and here's hoping that they do something exciting with it.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

SON OF A BITCH!!!!

Enterprise was turning out to be the best Star Trek yet too. Oh well. I guess I've still got Scrubs...

mag
Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #13
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Enterprise was turning out to be the best Star Trek yet too. Oh well. I guess I've still got Scrubs...

I can't tell if that's the bets bit of sarcasm I've ever read, or just really scary.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
I can't tell if that's the bets bit of sarcasm I've ever read, or just really scary.
Enterprise has really made some good changes, you got to catch a season 4 episode before judging to harshly.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #15
Under pressure.

Quote:
The problem is they keep rehashing old ground with a happy military based crew flying here and there solving every problem within 2 shows maximum
That's something that bothered me in general with Star Trek. Anyway, Enterprise changed in season 3. They're dealing with one problem for an entire season!

--Erwin
Old 02-05-2005, 02:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
That's something that bothered me in general with Star Trek. Anyway, Enterprise changed in season 3. They're dealing with one problem for an entire season!

--Erwin
Spoiler:
And judging from yesterday's episode, which was excellent, they were planning for a lengthy Romulan arc, too bad we'll probably not see the end of it. Goddamnit, this would've been good, Romulans are excellent bad guys.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:05 AM   #17
soffistical

Personally I feel that the fact that Enterprise DID change so many times it gave me whiplash is why it's being cancelled now. Apparantly the die-hard trekkies shun it because it's messing up the time-lines and the history already developed in previous shows. Even now, when most people testify to season four being the best yet, the change was so drastic that it probably deters from people hooking on. And of course, not to mention the introduction of Romulans in this timeline is a bit of a holy-cow killing for the trekkies. In short, the consistancy within this show, following the ST rules or not, has probably done a good at confusing the viewers into changing channels.

I do feel sad though, not that Berman doesn't need a good smack-bottom and a piece of a humble pie, but I'm a very loyal fan and am sad to see it go really... Somehow makes me feel good, knowing that there is something ST going on in the world somehwere, lol!

And Voyager wasn't bad at all! *grins at marek*
Old 02-05-2005, 04:16 AM   #18
Under pressure.

I like Voyager better than DS9 .

Man, I can't say that enough

--Erwin
Old 02-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #19
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

As we're getting onto ratings, here's my TV preferences (not that you asked for them):

1. TNG
2. Voyager
3. DS9
4. Enterprise
5. TOS

Yes, I dislike TOS. I think I just came to it way too late, though I can enjoy it in a man-this-is-dated kind of way.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Hey, shut up. I like Scrubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma
Personally I feel that the fact that Enterprise DID change so many times it gave me whiplash is why it's being cancelled now. Apparantly the die-hard trekkies shun it because it's messing up the time-lines and the history already developed in previous shows. Even now, when most people testify to season four being the best yet, the change was so drastic that it probably deters from people hooking on. And of course, not to mention the introduction of Romulans in this timeline is a bit of a holy-cow killing for the trekkies. In short, the consistancy within this show, following the ST rules or not, has probably done a good at confusing the viewers into changing channels.
I don't think that's it. Star Trek has really NEVER had any kind of internal consistency. So there's not much of a timeline to mess up. Besides, you'd have to watch the whole show to see whether all this stuff fits with the rest of the Star Trek universe or not. A lot of people were saying that the Vulcans on Enterprise didn't fit with the other series until they saw this season's Vulcan story arc. Now it all makes perfect sense. I hear they're planning to address the issue of the change in the appearance of the Klingons between the original series and the movies too.

No, I think the reason Enterprise failed is because Voyager blew so hard that people stopped trusting Star Trek to provide quality entertainment. And many of those that were willing to give it a chance stopped watching in the first and second seasons because even though those episodes were pretty good, they did admittedly start off a little slow.

What I can't believe is how a show like Enterprise can be cancelled on a network like UPN. UPN is just a big ol' pile of crap with too much crap on it already, and they just keep throwing more crap on top. Enterprise is the one redeeming virtue of the entire channel. Even at its worst, Enterprise was still by far the best show on UPN.

Oh, as far as the Save Enterprise campaign goes, I would be absolutely shocked if Enterprise managed to come back to television in any form. TV almost never works that way. So I don't generally get involved in these kinds of campaigns because they're pretty pointless. And it doesn't look like any of the people who have posted here are really interested in trying to save Enterprise either. But if any of you are interested in this campaign (or any Save X campaign even) I would recommend checking out miraclestv.com. This was a campaign to save the TV show Miracles, which is one of the best things to ever air on ABC. Anyway, they didn't save the show, but it was one of the best fan run campaigns to save a TV show I've ever seen. And they did manage to get the show on DVD (and good things have been known to happen from successful DVD sales). So there's a lot there that you folks trying to save Enterprise, or Sam & Max, or whatever might be able to learn from.

mag