You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The [art of] flirting thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #81
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Now you are undermining your own credibility. I can only assume it's intentional.
If it seems that way, it's only because you're such an incredible person.

Quote:
Plus in real life (unlike online), at least at first, and when flirting, I like to talk about the other person. There's no bigger turnoff than a person who comes up to you with a great line (such as "Hi." ) and then proceeds to yammer about himself for the next hour. Men, take note: ask her about herself--anything about herself. (Adjust the sentence for gender preferences as applicable.) This is the single biggest complaint I hear from my female friends--it usually takes 3-4 dates before a lot of guys will express any interest in us or our views. I think it's just nerves, but it can be a killer!

(Wait, if I like to talk about the other person, but I want the guy to ask me about me . . . then I am as usual . . . confused.)

That's a good point. I always try to do that, but most of the time I fail miserably, not because I'm not interested but simply because I'm too retarded to actually sustain a conversation.

mag
Old 01-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #82
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Awww! *huggie* A month is a terribly long time...
*huggles back* (No, I'm not back yet, but BoyToy linked me to a thread on this forum and now I have to go through all new posts to avoid losing the markers and besides, it's a welcome distraction to Finances)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Easily Confused At All
What are you [BoyToy] talking about--you're one of the biggest flirts around here?!!?!?
I think he does it subconsciously (like I do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTrepid
Enjoy yourself, you hot little flirt.
I wish I could, Trep, that's not really an option, though. But thank you very much. When I come back, I promise I'll proper contribute to this thread, too. ^_~
Old 01-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #83
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina
I was exiting the mall, going back to my car and there was a guy sitting on the curb having a cigarette. He was a worker that was unloading a shipment of merchandise for one of the stores.(I had seen him doing that on the way in.) Anyway, I walk past him and he just matter-of-factly demands, "Give me your number." I just stop dead in my tracks and turn around dumb founded. This guy is just dead serious and the only thing I can think to say is "Ummmm.........No" and I continue on my way to the car.
LOL!

I've been asked for money in a similar fashion.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #84
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I can't really contribute much to this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
When I come back, I promise I'll proper contribute to this thread, too. ^_~
In other words, you are gathering experience in the meantime. *jealousy rising, paranoia goes up the roof...*
*clings*
Old 01-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Awww . . . (blushes) . . . looks away . . . looks back.
Obviously you've never seen mag in a political discussion .
Old 01-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I've never had to flirt. Women always approach me.

I ask how much, give the specified amount, and off we go...
I love how your posts always stand among the others... This forum was a little less formidable without Bastich. Glad you seem to be back for good.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #87

Quote:
Wait, if I like to talk about the other person, but I want the guy to ask me about me . . . then I am as usual . . . confused.

You're not confused, you're a girl.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #88
Doctor Watson

I miss Kingz. Damn you, Kingz!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #89
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I've never had to flirt. Women always approach me.

I ask how much, give the specified amount, and off we go...
You bastich! Thank gawd I wasn't sipping anything as I read that or I'd have sprayed it all over the monitor laughing.

That is not flirting, either. That is commerce.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #90
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina
I was exiting the mall, going back to my car and there was a guy sitting on the curb having a cigarette. He was a worker that was unloading a shipment of merchandise for one of the stores.(I had seen him doing that on the way in.) Anyway, I walk past him and he just matter-of-factly demands, "Give me your number." I just stop dead in my tracks and turn around dumb founded. This guy is just dead serious and the only thing I can think to say is "Ummmm.........No" and I continue on my way to the car.

Now, this guy actually wasn't too bad looking, but come on. You'd at least think I'd get a "hello" or something first. As FairyGDM said, sometimes it is nice to just know what is on someones mind, but overall, nope, no, not the way to go about it. Take note guys.
< takes note as a guy, ponders... >

Possible responses if it had been the Trep in Christina's shoes:

"No deposit, no return." (following it up by walking away)

"Collateral, please?" (then rolling eyes, walking away)

(if attracted to him) "I dunno. I'm not sure if you'd be able to handle my digits..." (sly smile, then walk away knowing he'll be there next time)
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #91

Quote:
Men, take note: ask her about herself--anything about herself. (Adjust the sentence for gender preferences as applicable.) This is the single biggest complaint I hear from my female friends--it usually takes 3-4 dates before a lot of guys will express any interest in us or our views. I think it's just nerves, but it can be a killer!

(Wait, if I like to talk about the other person, but I want the guy to ask me about me . . . then I am as usual . . . confused.)

How odd. I find when I first start dating a woman I find she spends the first 3-4 dates telling me EVERYTHING about herself, practically down to her shoe size. As I'm usually pretty pleased just to be there, I have no problem with that. I listen and toss in the occasional joke. The real flirting fun for me is when the two of you aren't talking about yourselves but having creative rambling dialouges about anything and everything, just goofing around. I think most people shoot themselves in the foot flirting-wise by either (a) practically interrogating the other person or (b) telling them your life story. I know the magic is fading when I have to mention that I've heard the same story 6 times...after only 6 months....

I also think people have lost the ability to PLAY. Maybe it's all the serious relationaship movies and books, but personally, I just wanna have fun.

Last edited by scout; 01-23-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #92

Quote:
Men, take note: ask her about herself--anything about herself. (Adjust the sentence for gender preferences as applicable.) This is the single biggest complaint I hear from my female friends--it usually takes 3-4 dates before a lot of guys will express any interest in us or our views. I think it's just nerves, but it can be a killer!

Anything in particular that we should asking about or does it matter? Would stuff about her school work or job be good things to start with or is that stuff that I should avoid?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #93
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Anything in particular that we should asking about or does it matter? Would stuff about her school work or job be good things to start with or is that stuff that I should avoid?
ANYTHING.

Wait, don't ask about her clothes size, or anything like that. :eek:

Scout, that's funny. Maybe it's a matter of perception--we think guys are talking about themselves the whole time because really we want to be talking about ourselves the whole time but they only let us do it for 95% of the time. It depends of course on who is involved and things like that. I think nicer people of both genders are better listeners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Obviously you've never seen mag in a political discussion.
Obviously you didn't read the "Kill JFK" thread. Or WAS that a political discussion? Mag, was that politics or ethics? Whatever you say, I promise to say the opposite.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #94

Women are just really fun to be around so I don't care what they are talking about... at first. Esp. if they have great eyes, I'll listen all day.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #95
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout
Women are just really fun to be around so I don't care what they are talking about... at first. Esp. if they have great eyes, I'll listen all day.
Whoah. Strike 3, you're out! If I were a girl (no matter how beautiful), you would NEVER even get to first base with me with that thought.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #96
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Whoah. Strike 3, you're out! If I were a girl (no matter how beautiful), you would NEVER even get to first base with me with that thought.
No way Trep, scout scored major points. I happen to have great eyes (and very little else going for me), so he just sweet-talked himself into my good books.

My bet is that the women can tell he'll listen to him all day. He could play harder to get and he'd hear a bit less of the life story . . . but then, he wouldn't get to hang out with the girl. Tossup.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #97
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Obviously you didn't read the "Kill JFK" thread. Or WAS that a political discussion? Mag, was that politics or ethics? Whatever you say, I promise to say the opposite.
For you, baby, it's anything you want it to be.

mag
Old 01-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #98
merely human

Quote:
No way Trep, scout scored major points. I happen to have great eyes (and very little else going for me), so he just sweet-talked himself into my good books.

My bet is that the women can tell he'll listen to him all day. He could play harder to get and he'd hear a bit less of the life story . . . but then, he wouldn't get to hang out with the girl. Tossup.
I can't get past this:

Quote:
I don't care what they are talking about... at first
I've had my share of these kinds of men, where you want to express an idea or trying to get a point across, and you just KNOW they're not processing it, much less even listening to you. They just wanna..... heh. I kinda feel insulted.

I dunno, maybe I'm just the type who prefers to attract someone with my mind, not so much my looks.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #99
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
For you, baby, it's anything you want it to be.
It's getting hot in here.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #100
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I dunno, maybe I'm just the type who prefers to attract someone with my mind, not so much my looks.
Maybe that's because you're used to being able to attract people with your looks, sweetie!

No, I totally know what you mean. It is a bummer if the person is on autopilot. But most guys wouldn't even be talking to me if they were . . . they would be talking to one of my friends, who seem a little more approachable, and my friends would shoot the guy down so fast it wouldn't even be funny. So I've got wingwomen to prescreen for me.

Mag, your post made me lmao. 8-)