You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Alone in the Dark - A movie!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #41
TM3

Not too sure about this movie. I thought the atmosphere and the creatures look pretty cool in the trailer but the movie does sort of remind of “Hellboy”, which by the way was an awesome flick! Things like Edward wearing a long coat and carrying around a revolver. And a paranormal bureau for defense and investigation that the hero belongs to.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #42
No justice. Only me.

That is true. Hellboy was quite good. It's definitely in my top five comic-book movies, along with the X-men movies, Spiderman 2, and another which I can't remember right now.

By the way, you know what comic book REALLY needs the movie treatment? The Bone series, by Jeff Smith. I've got the one-volume edition of it, and DAMN is that story cinematic.

If we're talking live action, I'd picture something along the lines of Sky Captain, a CG fantasy world with live actors inserted to play Thorn, Grandma Ben, Lucius, etc. Of course, that needs a MUCH bigger budget than a Bone movie would ever be allocated.

A better idea would simply be a straight, traditionally animated movie. Which would be just as good, except the market for those has slipped.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 AM   #43
Epinionated.

Hellboy was great because of the characters, not the SFX. It wouldn't have been half the movie it ended up being were it not for fantastic casting and a script that favoured dialogue and "moments" in between the action.

Somehow I doubt that Yuck Balls has the intelligence to create a good movie out of this, despite some concept art that looks distinctly like a Giger painting.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 AM   #44
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
By the way, you know what comic book REALLY needs the movie treatment? The Bone series, by Jeff Smith. I've got the one-volume edition of it, and DAMN is that story cinematic.
Speaking of comic books that REALLY need the movie treatment...actually no, I'd better not bring that up again, we've decimated quite enough threads this year by bringing those two into the conversation.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #45
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

While we're criticising the films of "so bad it hurts" Paul W.S. Anderson, I felt that I ought to apologise, on behalf of the British nation, for inflicting him upon the world.

That is all.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:15 PM   #46
Epinionated.

Same here.

Mind you, the guys got passion. He's just got to lay off the rock music and stop writing his own movies.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #47

Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson and Tom Green should get together and not make a a film.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #48
Epinionated.

They should get together and make and action/comedy horror. I guarantee it would be so specatularly bad, it'll go all the way around and be fantastic for all the wrong reasons.

edit - my only worry is if they touch hands, a small wormhole will appear and suck all the coolness and good ideas out of the world, put everything into slow motion and reduce every single joke into the essence of a fart.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #49
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
They should get together and make and action/comedy horror. I guarantee it would be so specatularly bad, it'll go all the way around and be fantastic for all the wrong reasons.
If this ever happens, Plan 9 from Outer Space should start fearing for its place in history.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #50
Epinionated.

Worryingly, I actually want it to happen.

And I want 5 different creative execs from some of the biggest money-making sh!tfests of the last five years on it too!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #51
DAVE

Well there's always the chance if the movie's a real stinker at box office those executives will stop listening to Boll when he says he's gonna make a great movie out of some game. Sad thing is, AITD had everything to succeed, and apparently he's got FarCry too, along with a couple other game licenses. And people complain games don't get their due attention
Old 01-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #52
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
Well there's always the chance if the movie's a real stinker at box office those executives will stop listening to Boll when he says he's gonna make a great movie out of some game. Sad thing is, AITD had everything to succeed, and apparently he's got FarCry too, along with a couple other game licenses. And people complain games don't get their due attention
He's got Dungeon Siege. DUNGEON SIEGE. HOW DO YOU MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF DUNGEON SIEGE!?!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #53
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Not only does he seem to have thrown away the original Alone in the Dark storyline

Actually, the movie is based on the basic storyline from the most recent game, "Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare". The premise of that one had Carnby, looking more like Gabriel Knight, and a female with a mysterious past by the name of Aline Cedrac, both on a chartered plane heading for Shadow Island to solve a family's demonic curse...The Shadow Creatures!!! The film plot is more or less the same, except that in the film, Carnby and Cedrac once dated...
Old 01-27-2005, 01:05 AM   #54
Epinionated.

Let's make a movie out of Chuckie Egg and the Dizzy titles!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:50 AM   #55
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
He's got Dungeon Siege. DUNGEON SIEGE. HOW DO YOU MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF DUNGEON SIEGE!?!
You make huge dungeon sets and just film people hacking away at monsters.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:40 AM   #56
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Wow, looks like it may be worth a look after all...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/58...html?fromint=1

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #57
DAVE

When does it come out? I recommend if you want a GOOD review, to visit www.haro-online.com and wait till they get it reviewed.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM   #58
No justice. Only me.

Well, the Metacritic review compilation of Alone in the Dark puts it at #14 on the all-time Worst Movies list. Just to give you guys an idea of where that is, Gigli is #72.

Not that Metacritic is the end-all-be-all of reviews, but it and Rotten Tomatoes, (which has AitD at a 2%,) are the two places I go to get an overall idea of how good a movie is.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #59
Epinionated.

Some of those reviews say more about the general media's view on gaming than the actual movie itself...
Old 01-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #60
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
Speaking of comic books that REALLY need the movie treatment...
Y-the last man! They're actually working on a movie. If you haven't read the comic-books, you really need to!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem