You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Alone in the Dark - A movie!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #21
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I enjoyed the Resident Evil movies, so I am going to give this movie a try. *waits for the RE bashing*

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 01-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #22
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
The next movie on Uwe Boll's hit list is Bloodrayne with Kristinna Loken, Michelle Rodriguez and Ben Kingsley!?!... and maybe Dungeon Siege or Farcry next.

I think he is trying to make a point, its the answer to those crappy videogames based on movies - painfully bad movies based on videogames... or not...
I hope Michelle Rodriguez plays the lead - she was great in the Resident Evil movie.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #23
DAVE

How the hell does anyone watch RE and say it's good? It was crappy, had terrible effects and little to no plot. The least I expect from a movie without a plot is good special effects and action, it failed horribly. Paul W.S. is another bad director, judging by his work. Not even Mortal Kombat was anywhere near decent. Then again, I'm pretty picky.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #24
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
How the hell does anyone watch RE and say it's good? It was crappy, had terrible effects and little to no plot. The least I expect from a movie without a plot is good special effects and action, it failed horribly. Paul W.S. is another bad director, judging by his work. Not even Mortal Kombat was anywhere near decent. Then again, I'm pretty picky.

Come on!
RE wasn't that bad - as a standalone action/horror it was ok.
You just need to forget about the connection with the RE games. Watch it with an open mind and I am sure you will come to agree with me.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #25
DAVE

Nah. I did try to watch it forgetting about the games, as I only played RE1 and 3, but couldn't come to terms with it. I'm not that kind of moviegoer. A movie needs just a little wit to it, and RE didn't have it, not in my honest, open minded, well wishing-towards-it mind. I didn't even bother to watch the second.

There's just something I have against movies that abuse over-the-top physics defying jump scenes and stuff like that. Jovovich running down the building just felt ridiculous in the trailer. That kinda stuff I pass.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #26

Not only does he seem to have thrown away the original Alone in the Dark storyline, but he seems to have forgotten what the title of the movie is. Alone does not mean being with twenty other people.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #27
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Alone does not mean being with twenty other people.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #28
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The Doom movie... is set on Mars... but has no marine grunts...

... and there aren't any demons...

... and hell doesn't even come into it.
AFAIK, Doom movie won't be set on Mars, but some other planet. So basiclly the only thing that will make appearance in the movie, and was also featured in the game, is the chainsaw.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #29
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
The next movie on Uwe Boll's hit list is Bloodrayne with Kristinna Loken, Michelle Rodriguez and Ben Kingsley!?!... and maybe Dungeon Siege or Farcry next.

I think he is trying to make a point, its the answer to those crappy videogames based on movies - painfully bad movies based on videogames... or not...
Michael Madsen is also included in this crapfest.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #30
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

So we meet again Uwe Boll. Some day I'll escape your horror.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-21-2005, 03:08 AM   #31
Irritant F0rum Beasty

The main gripe I had with Resident Evil was that I just didn't find it the least bit scary, and what's scary the point of a horror movie that isn't scary? - unless, I suppose, it's incredibly funny...which this wasn't.

I don't understand what could be scary about a bunch of people firing randomly at a bunch of Zombies with some heavy metal music (or whatever it was) playing loudly in the background.

By the looks of it, this movie is following the exact same formula, hence why it is going to be shit.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
There's just something I have against movies that abuse over-the-top physics defying jump scenes and stuff like that. Jovovich running down the building just felt ridiculous in the trailer. That kinda stuff I pass.
She wasn't jumping, she was running down with the help of a grappling hook and cord (standard kick-ass government agent equipment, I guess). She had hooked it up to the roof of the building and it allowed her to do that without falling off. The same thing was done in Goldeneye, and in Die Another Day, where 007 hooked himself up on the roof and ran down as well.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 AM   #33
Epinionated.

Yuck.

RE2 was like being punched in the childhood. Horrid, and I wasn't even a kid when it was released on PS neither.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:48 AM   #34
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
RE2 was like being punched in the childhood. Horrid, and I wasn't even a kid when it was released on PS neither.
:eek: Just out of interest, where-abouts on the the body is the "childhood" actually located?

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:50 AM   #35
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
:eek: Just out of interest, where-abouts on the the body is the "childhood" actually located?
He probably means his family jewels. And as for James Bond, they're very overrated. There ain't a single one that surpasses mediocrity. I've always hated them as well.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #36
Adventure Collector

I think it will be an OK movie. I usually like to watch a movie and then post my conclusions, but then again what do I know. :pan: I just want to see how will they adopt the story. It 'll probably be dissapointing, but I 'll still watch it and I am sure most of the bashers here will too. :D
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 AM   #37
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Uwe will adapt the story in a way that it has nothing to do with the games stories, except the two characters names from the last AitD game "The New Nightmare".
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:14 PM   #38
No justice. Only me.

The RE movies are a secret shame of mine. I enjoy them. It probably helps that I've never played any of the games.

Actually, that's a lie. I started playing the first Resident Evil. I found the controls far too awkward to get used to and quickly dropped it. But from what I heard of the voice acting, the characters in the movie did a better acting job.

But then, I've never played any of the Alone in the Dark games either. (Again, except for a bit of the first one, but it kept crashing on my newer machine.) And yet, I can still recognize this as a total piece of shit movie. At least Resident Evil stayed somewhat true to the source material. Let's do a rundown, shall we?

SIMILAR POINTS BETWEEN VIDEOGAME MOVIES AND THEIR SOURCE MATERIAL:

Resident Evil:
The Umbrella Corporation
Raccoon City
Zombies (okay, that's an easy one)
The Mansion (kinda)
Jill Valentine and the rest of the squad (To the point where the actress who played Jill Valentine actually LOOKED like her in-game alter ego.)
Nemesis

Alone in the Dark:
Character names (Christian Slater does NOT look like the mustachioed gentleman of the first AitD. Not even like the trenchcoatted Carnby of A New Nightmare.)
Monstery things
A general pervading darkness

There's a difference in specificity there.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:56 AM   #39
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Alone in the Dark:
Character names (Christian Slater does NOT look like the mustachioed gentleman of the first AitD. Not even like the trenchcoatted Carnby of A New Nightmare.)
Monstery things
A general pervading darkness
You forgot to mention one key similarity between the AitD:ANK game and this movie: In both...Edward Carnby has a huge pistal :eek: . Kind of sums up the whole project I think.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:24 AM   #40
Epinionated.

Being punched in the childhood is literal, folks. It's like movie executives travel back in time and punch me as a six-year-old child, the effects lasting up until adulthood.