You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Gaming Computer Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
Iconoclast

Default Gaming Computer Help!

I just ordered the following:

Asus A8NSLI Motherboard
2GB Corsair TwinX Pro Memory
AMD FX-55 Processor

The problem I am having is in choosing what the hell to do with the graphics cards. I could just buy 2 Geforce 6800 Ultras and call it a day, but they really don't score much higher than the 6800 GTs. On top of that, both cards are being price-gouged like crazy due to limited supply, going for around $100 or more over list.

Also, in about 4 months or so, a new generation will probably come out, so why should I spend $1200 on video cards that have 8 month old technology in them?

OTOH, both Nvidia and ATI have become masters of the paper launch, taking months to actually get any kind of product in the channel. An April announcement may turn into a fall release next year, unless I am willing to be financially raped in the interim.

The problem is, without a PCI-Express card of some sort, my computer parts just sit there in the boxes.

I am extremely frustrated right now. I almost feel like cancelling my above order. To make things worse, very few places have any cards in stock to even sell me.

I am even thinking of just buying a single card and then waiting to see what happens.

What would you do?
Old 12-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Iconoclast

Oh, I should add that I gave away my current video card, a Radeon 9800 Pro to a friend, and am using an old worthless video card in the interim, meaning I can't play any graphic intensive games at the moment at all. I have really painted myself into a corner here.