You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Interview: Johnny Depp and 'Finding Neverland'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
merely human

Default Interview: Johnny Depp and 'Finding Neverland'

Depp in 'Ed Wood', and in 'Finding Neverland'.

Johnny Depp: 'Finding Neverland'
National Public Radio (audio file), 11/12/04

Quote:
Johnny Depp has played some eccentric characters over the years -- Edward Scissorhands, cross-dressing movie director Ed Wood, Caribbean pirate Capt. Jack Sparrow. Now Depp stars as the legendary J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan. NPR's Elizabeth Blair talks to Depp about his new film, Finding Neverland, and some of the characters he's inhabited.

Depp was drawn to the role of Barrie because he could identify with the author's insistence on staying in touch with his childlike imagination. Barrie "only felt comfortable when he was hanging around with kids for the pure reason that there were no ulterior motives," Depp says. "Kids didn't have any agenda... They just behaved and they were pure and honest and he was kind of obsessed with that."

Playing real people -- like drug trafficker George Jung in Blow (2001) or FBI undercover agent Joe Pistone in Donnie Brasco (1997) -- comes with added responsibility, the actor says.

"You owe it to their memory, to everything they did in life, and to their families to do as good a job as possible and be as honest about it as possible," Depp says.

Depp took a risk playing the outlandish Raoul Duke, based on "gonzo" journalist Hunter S. Thompson, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The 1998 film flopped, but Depp says "an actor owes it to himself to try different things each time out of the gate... You don't want to keep serving up the same dish. [The audience will] get sick of it."
I just find him one of the most interesting and cool actors of our time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

He's the best.
Always has been, always will be.

He would've been so awesome in Don Quixote.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Irritant F0rum Beasty

He was very funny in the Pirate movie.

Just my two cents.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 11-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
rio
Custom User Title

I can't think of anyone more versatile then Johnny is. I'm still kind of bitter about him taking Gene Wilder's role as Willy Wonka though.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #5
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I just love that he doesn't cater to audiences, but takes parts because they are interesting or he feels he could bring some interesting to them.

He's a true artist - he wants a challenge, something that will stretch himself.

For example, look at a movie he's in coming out in 2006 called Diving Bell and the Butterfly:

Johnny Depp portrays Elle France editor Jean-Dominique Bauby, who, in 1995 at the age of 43, suffered a stroke that paralyzed his entire body, save his left eye. Using that eye to blink out his memoir, Bauby eloquently described the aspects of his interior world, from the psychological torment of being trapped inside his body to his imagined stories from lands he'd only visited in his mind.

A side note: he also seems to be the hero of the gothic weird - he'd fit right into a classic horror film. The Corpse Bride, an animated flick directed by Tim Burton, brings together a gothic synthesis of Burton, Depp, and Helena Bonham Carter.

But of course, you can't confine Depp to this realm of filmmaking either. Donnie Brasco, Before Night Falls, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape definitely show that the guy can do just about anything he wants and pull it off splendidly.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I'm glad he took that risk of playing Raoul Duke. He's absolutely brilliant, and I can't see anyone else doing it as good. It's a great film, too bad it flopped.

Anyway, yeah, he's a great actor.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I just find him one of the most interesting and cool actors of our time.
That's 'cause he happens to be just that.
Well, he's my favorite actor anyway... along with Kyle Mac Lachlan, but that may be because they both starr in some of my favorite movies (Arizona Dream, Dune, Blue Velvet...). Or maybe I love the movies thanks to them.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Depp To Reprise Role as Hunter S. Thompson

Johnny Depp is set to reprise his acclaimed role as journalist Hunter S. Thompson in the sequel to his 1998 hit Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. The follow-up, called The Rum Diary, is based on Thompson's very first novel, which journals his career and personal escapades in 1950s Puerto Rico. Depp is also acting as executive producer for the film. Thompson shot himself to death at his secure compound in Woody Creek, Colorado, on February 20.

hmmmMM
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
Excessively diverted

I confess that I am more than a little in love with Johnny Depp, not only because he has shown such versatility in the roles that he chooses, but also in the way that he hasn't done the easy thing and just sold old. With his looks it would be incredibly easy for him to make a lot of money in formulaic movies as the romantic lead. Instead:

"The challenge for me is still to do something that hasn't been beaten into the moviegoing consciousness. Otherwise what am I in it for?"
--Johnny Depp
Time Magazine, March 15, 2004

It's a shame that he hasn't had as much critical recognition as he deserves though - someone ought to give that boy an oscar
Old 05-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Arizona Dream
So do you like Emir Kusturica, as a director?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem