You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Favourite band/artist?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
all loved up

Default Favourite band/artist?

What kinds of music are the people in these forums into, and favourtie bands etc.... (forgive the bad grammar, I've had a very tiring weekend)
I'm into quite alot of different kinds of music, but mainly rock music, and have turned into a mad White Stripes fanatic over the last year. I love the fact they write their own songs for the most part, and the covers they do are their kind of songs, and they perform them well. I love Jack White's singing voice, so unique, and just really like the way the songs are constructed...
Old 11-01-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I refer you to my signature.

mag
Old 11-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Doctor Watson

What I find hilarious about the White Stripes is the reviews where the critic claims that Meg White's drumming "swings". Nuh-uh: Meg White just can't play.

I don't mind though. Elephant & White Blood Cells are actually some of the best albums I own (which isn't saying much). Haven't listened to them in a long while, though.

Otherwise, nowadays I listen to space jazz, normal jazz and weird jazz with balkan and heavy metal influences. I used to listen to lots of classical piano music but lately I haven't, except whatever I happen to play myself.

And Björk.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Although I listen to a wide variety of music, the band I like most overall would have to be The Clash. I don't think I'm ever going to stop listening to London Calling.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 11-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

I'm big on rock\metal.
i love American head charge, there probably one of my favorites along with tool and Mindless self indulgence. i also like yes and genesis

Old 11-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #6

I like all types of music. Aphex Twin, The Pixies, and Ween are at the top of my list.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
Disciplined Breakdown

Rock and Roll starting from the 80s and continueing to current stuff. Although I personally think the White Stripes suck. I prefer stuff like Boston, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, Damn Yankees, or more modernly American Hi-Fi, Foo Fighters, 3 Doors Down, and Collective Soul.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

My favorite artists:

Interpol, Radiohead, Coldplay, Muse

I also like:

My Chemical Romance, Evanescence, Incubus, Pilate
Old 11-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #9

Favourite DJ's: Jeff Mills, Cari LekeBush, Adam Beyer (etc.)
Hiphop: too much too mention, but I listen alot of oldschool stuff like Lord Finesse and new stuff like Mos Def, Dilated Peoples, J5, Gangstarr etc.
And I also refer to mag's signature
Old 11-02-2004, 02:24 AM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

My favorite "current" bands would have to be The Mars Volta (who I just saw a couple weeks ago with The Pixes; holy shit) and The Flaming Lips. I think those two bands are doing amazing things for today's rock landscape. Very different reasons, though.
The Mars Volta are compositionally amazing with a pretty high level of virtuosity compared to most rock bands, and I'm glad there are some people out there who can do that sort of thing and still reach a relatively sizeable audience. De-Loused in the Comatorium is the sort of album I can show to my fellow music majors when they complain that they rarely hear rock music that's compositionally on a par with the stuff we study in our classes.
The Flaming Lips are way more simplistic in terms of composition, and Wayne is about as far from a virtuosic singer as you can get, but the stuff they do in the studio consistently destroys my mind. From a shaky voice, ludicrous lyrics, and not-particularly-genius chord progressions they craft some of the most gorgeous rock music I've heard in years. Pretty much I really really love the Flaming Lips. Also, I love Wayne's voice, don't get me wrong. I think the shaky and tentative quality of it is an amazingly great fit with the ridiculously multi-layered and sonically explosive instrumentation. Also, the Flaming Lips probably have some of the best drum recording I've ever heard (I'm talking about the recording itself, not necessarily what's being played). I don't know how the hell they mic'ed the drums on The Soft Bulletin but the sound is incredible. It sounds like they channeled John Bonham or Keith Moon or something.

Other current bands I enjoy are ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (their early material is somewhat questionable but Source Tags and Codes is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of all time), Modest Mouse, Black Heart Procession, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, other stuff that doesn't come immediately to mind.

The "all time" stuff is harder to answer, but I guess I'd go with Pink Floyd, The Beatles (this sounds cliche but I seriously appreciate that band more and more whenever I hear ANY of their albums--and that's a lot by now), Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, King Crimson, The Pixies (who I've seen twice in the last month, and that's a band I thought I'd never get to see), Radiohead, The Beach Boys (mainly for Pet Sounds), Mr. Bungle, Electric Light Orchestra, Rage Against the Machine, other stuff that doesn't come immediately to mind.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #11
Doctor Watson

Oh, I forgot to mention Mr Bungle and Radiohead.

Last edited by deadworm222; 11-03-2004 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #12
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
De-Loused in the Comatorium is the sort of album I can show to my fellow music majors when they complain that they rarely hear rock music that's compositionally on a par with the stuff we study in our classes.
Show them 'Close to the Edge' or 'Fragile', that's legendary prog rock, not that hyped-up-pimpled-teen stuff.

Anyway I never had a fav band, except when I was 10. I'd settle for early Pink Floyd, Genesis or hmm... Comsat Angels, hehe.
So there you go
Old 11-02-2004, 10:01 AM   #13
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Metallica!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
My favorite "current" bands would have to be The Mars Volta.
i cant believe i forgot to add them, i bought there CD on a whim because the cover art looked cool and i loved every second of it. their is not bad song at that CD. the musicians are amazing.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #15
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Oh, I forgot to mention Mr Bungle and Radiohead, though when it comes to Radiohead I only like thier latest album where they manage not to sound like... I don't know how to describe the sound in OK Computer/Kid A/Amnesiac. Maybe it's getting back to actually writing songs instead of just fooling around with Pro Tools that I like.
I always thought Kid A had catchier songs than Hail to the Thief.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Oh, I forgot to mention Mr Bungle and Radiohead, though when it comes to Radiohead I only like thier latest album where they manage not to sound like... I don't know how to describe the sound in OK Computer/Kid A/Amnesiac. Maybe it's getting back to actually writing songs instead of just fooling around with Pro Tools that I like.
I'm not sure how you could consider OK Computer more songwritingy and less fooling aroundy than Hail to the Thief. With the only real exception of Fitter Happer, OK Computer doesn't have NEARLY as much of that wacky studio nonsense, and is one of the most coherent rock albums of the 90s. Are you sure you're thinking of the right album? (I mean that seriously, not mockingly) OK Computer has a pretty raw guitar sound most of the time. Anyway, I sort of agree with you about Kid A and Amnesiac. I still enjoy them but I think they were sort of Radiohead's "figuring out how all this shit works" albums. To me OK Computer is their "we ****ing know how to rock now" album and Hail to the Thief is their "we still know how to rock and also we can put in more wacky studio stuff too" album.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-02-2004, 10:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Show them 'Close to the Edge' or 'Fragile', that's legendary prog rock, not that hyped-up-pimpled-teen stuff.

Anyway I never had a fav band, except when I was 10. I'd settle for early Pink Floyd, Genesis or hmm... Comsat Angels, hehe.
Prog is a different story. I'm talking about bands that are currently recording and performing. Showing them Yes albums from the 70s just begs for a response like "What, so all you can come up with is 30-year-old albums?" And dismissing The Mars Volta as "hyped-up-pimpled-teen stuff" is a bit kneejerk, I think. I highly suspect they one day will be considered on the order of "legendary prog rock".

Old 11-03-2004, 01:10 AM   #18
Doctor Watson

I might be wrong, since I haven't heard all of the album. Anyway, the main reason OK Computer is there with the rest is because of the sound, which is, from the fragments that I've heard, more like Kid A & stuff. Or maybe it was too rock, actually. In fact, I can't remember. So lets just say that I'm wrong. I'll edit my post.

Last edited by deadworm222; 11-03-2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:18 AM   #19

Egads, listen to the whole thing. It really sounds NOTHING like Kid A or Amnesiac. Kid A and Amnesiac are on the whole much more electronic and ambient sounding, with few changes within songs and an overall subdued feel. OK Computer is almost the opposite in every way. Like I said earlier, it's a very raw guitar sound with song structures much more complex than those in the next two albums. Electronic sounds are used, but tastefully and not really much more than most rock bands these days. I must admit, even knowing that you've only heard some of it, it's still very difficult for me to understand your association between those albums. Even just listening to the first song illustrates the vast chasm between them, opening with a heavy distorted guitar riff.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:57 AM   #20
Doctor Watson

Aye, ye were right remixor.