You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #21
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro2
Yes well, that's all fine and dandy, but as far as polling of the American people was concerned, the last two debates were within the margin of error. But yes, Bush clearly LOST the first debate.
That's not true. Kerry has a significant lead in the last debate--52% to 39% according to Gallup. Only the second debate was ever really tied. But even that changed when a new poll was taken two days later that showed Kerry with a 15 point lead. In other words, Kerry won all three debates. Your boy got smoked.

mag
Old 10-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #22
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
That's not true. Kerry has a significant lead in the last debate--52% to 39% according to Gallup. Only the second debate was ever really tied. But even that changed when a new poll was taken two days later that showed Kerry with a 15 point lead. In other words, Kerry won all three debates. Your boy got smoked.

mag
Anybody can use polls that favor their man. For instance, you mention the Gallup giving a 52% to 39% edge. Very nice. And I could mention the ABC poll for the very same debate that had it 42% to 41%. Within the margin of error, as I said.
Töre: You see it, God, you see it. The innocent child's death and my revenge. You allowed it. I don't understand you. Yet now I beg your forgiveness. I know no other way to be reconciled with my own hands. I know no other way to live.

-Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring (1960)
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #23
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

From local news I've read/heard that the second debate was the only tied one.

Kerry clearly won the 1st and the 3rd.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #24
Banned User

Quote:
Anybody can use polls that favor their man. For instance, you mention the Gallup giving a 52% to 39% edge. Very nice. And I could mention the ABC poll for the very same debate that had it 42% to 41%. Within the margin of error, as I said.
Apparently, though, you missed that although the ABC poll had the debate scored dead even, thier polling group was 38% Republican and only 30% Democrat, with 32% undecided/independent. This means that while Bush only won over 4% of the undecideds, Kerry won over 11% of them.

In other words, given the polling group's demographics, even a tie was a win for Kerry.

And thank you for your kind words earlier.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 AM   #25
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Apparently, though, you missed that although the ABC poll had the debate scored dead even, thier polling group was 38% Republican and only 30% Democrat, with 32% undecided/independent. This means that while Bush only won over 4% of the undecideds, Kerry won over 11% of them.

In other words, given the polling group's demographics, even a tie was a win for Kerry.

And thank you for your kind words earlier.
No problem. And by the way, I'm sure almost every poll suffers from having more Republicans or Democrats...one or the other...

Also, I don't know that I would call it "winning over" in the overall sense. I've seen focus groups where people say one candidate won the debate, and yet they admit to deciding to give their vote to the other guy based on the same debate. LOL. This stuff just isn't anywhere near an exact science.
Töre: You see it, God, you see it. The innocent child's death and my revenge. You allowed it. I don't understand you. Yet now I beg your forgiveness. I know no other way to be reconciled with my own hands. I know no other way to live.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #26
Movie Buff & Gamer

Expanding on what I said... We see that Gallup had Kerry winning 52% to 39% in the 3rd debate. But that has translated to a Gallup 8 point lead for Bush in the overall race among likely voters. Kerry was up 1 point in the same poll 6 days ago.

Old 10-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #27
mag

It's just like how I thought Cheney "won" the vice presidential debate, but I still hate him. There's no question that Kerry is a better debater than Bush. But I guess if you're a Bush supporter that's not really going to change your mind.

And when you look at the polls overall, it's pretty clear that people think Kerry won the last debate. In addition to the Gallup poll there's also the CBS poll which has Kerry leading 39% to 25%. That's a poll of undecided voters. The ABC poll is the only one I've seen that has been close, and as BacardiJim pointed out, that poll was skewed Republican.

mag
Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #28
Movie Buff & Gamer

I may be way off on this... But perhaps most Americans understand that we aren't supposed to elect the best "debater-in-chief" in the first place... I agree Kerry is, overall, a superior debater. Though I personally saw these debates as 1-1-1, I believe that Kerry is still better.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #29
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

It's just that they has said all over the place that Americans most often votes for the one that is best in the debates and more so this time for some reason or another. Myself, I would look to what they want to do and if their ideology suits me rather than some silly debate.

But then, I'm not American so I wouldn't really know. Here in Sweden we don't have a president so I can't relate to that either. We just vote for parties and not particular people.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #30
mag

Quote:
I may be way off on this... But perhaps most Americans understand that we aren't supposed to elect the best "debater-in-chief" in the first place... I agree Kerry is, overall, a superior debater. Though I personally saw these debates as 1-1-1, I believe that Kerry is still better.
I think that's actually what I said.

mag
Old 10-17-2004, 02:10 PM   #31
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I think that's actually what I said.

mag
If that's the case...then we agree on something. Terrifying.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:12 PM   #32
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
We just vote for parties and not particular people.
In the end, that's how it works here as well.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2004, 02:40 PM   #33
mag

Quote:
If that's the case...then we agree on something. Terrifying.
Spooky. And it's not even Halloween yet.

mag