You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Alien vs. Predator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax
Default Alien vs. Predator

Here's my short review of AVP: It sucks.

Don't pay $10 to see it. It starts off weak, and eventually goes downhill to become unitentionally funny. The characters are about as deep as the characters in an episode of Jackass, and a lot of them only say 2 or 3 lines before they're killed in a tame, PG-13 way. This happens for the first 60 minutes of the movie, and actually, this is the better part of the movie.

The last 20 minutes are unbelievably bad. I'll use spoilers in case you haven't seen it.

Spoiler:
The remaining predator and the remaining human team up to fight the aliens. Not only is it a terrible idea, they do it in the worst way possible. In one scene, we see the remaining girl and the predator running from a huge fire in slow motion. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen all year, and also one of the funniest.

Paul Anderson, who also made Resident Evil and Soldier, should be stopped after this. AVP is such a good idea, but he completely butchers it and makes a movie that probably wouldn't even be released direct-to-video if it didn't have the Aliens or Predators in it.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
No justice. Only me.

I wasn't planning on seeing this one, mainly because I have not seen any of the Alien movies nor a single Predator movie in its entirety. (I saw bits of Predator and Predator 2 on cable, but not the whole movie.) Now I know I can take my time because I don't want to see this new one in the theatres. Thanks.

P.S. Come on, man, Resident Evil was a good movie! Mindless zombie-bashing in all its glory! In my personal movie reviews, if a movie has zombies in it, it earns an additional star. So the worst zombie movie possible is still one star.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh well. Maybe one day someone with some writing and directing talent will come up with a film that does this idea justice.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
Master of Time and Space

Well, Alien 2 is my favourite horror movie of all time. I've seen it over 10 times.
Alien vs. Predator though, I won't go see it. I don't think it was a good idea to begin with (Freddy vs Jason anyone) and it gives PC Games a bad name.
Now, Deus Ex and Max Payne, that I'd pay to see.
Unfortunately, seems like Deus Ex : The Movie won't be made after all, even if the script is done. It's a shame that crappy games get movies, but the real innovative ones (and I'm mainly talking about the story) don't.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-16-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
Paul Anderson, who also made Resident Evil and Soldier, should be stopped after this.
Paul Anderson should have his hands cut off, strapped down to a chair, and forced to watch Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds and Ridley Scott's Alien to finally see what he's been missing. And then he should never allowed to direct for the rest of his life.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #6
Disciplined Breakdown

A bunch of my friends went to see this, and they had nothing but bad things to say.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots
Well, Alien 2 is my favourite horror movie of all time. I've seen it over 10 times.
Alien vs. Predator though, I won't go see it. I don't think it was a good idea to begin with (Freddy vs Jason anyone) and it gives PC Games a bad name.
Unfortunately, seems like Deus Ex : The Movie won't be made after all, even if the script is done. It's a shame that crappy games get movies, but the real innovative ones (and I'm mainly talking about the story) don't.
Alien 2 is more like a action movie than a horror movie, damn that Cameron
Alien vs. Predator sure looks like a crap movie, I've seen all the trailers and other features and it does not look good. Only interesting thing about it is Lance Henriksen.

On the other hand, Deus Ex the movie might get done, if a certain saviour called Uwe Boll would buy the rights for it
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 AM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
On the other hand, Deus Ex the movie might get done, if a certain saviour called Uwe Boll would buy the rights for it
See, I'd much rather movies for good games NOT get made rather than see them get made and be butchered, like I'm expecting Far Cry to be. Tomb Raider was already a self-parody by the time they made the movies, but Alone in the Dark, and Far Cry... Far Cry man... I mean, why?!? What did it do to deserve this?!?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I already hate Boll for butchering AitD.

The movie should've been about the first game, set in a Lovecraft themed mansion and the hero should've been a 50 years old Edward Carnby with the god damn trademark mustache.

And Boll should've stayed away from the franchise.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax

Don't pay $10 to see it.
How about if I pay $5, is that OK with you?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #11
A Slice of Fried Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
How about if I pay $5, is that OK with you?
I still wouldn't recommend it for that much. I'd say only watch this movie if it's free and there's nothing else to watch.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #12
merely human

$5? Hmmmm, that would probably fetch me a sem-decent game from the bargain bin at EB. Or a very decent martini. Decisions, decisions......
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-21-2004, 08:36 PM   #13
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
$5? Hmmmm, that would probably fetch me a sem-decent game from the bargain bin at EB.
Better yet, spend it on the AvP II game. Worth every penny, and I bet it's floating around $15 to $20 now.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #14
merely human

Oh, I did see it at EB a couple weeks ago. $13, man! Just that it was jewel case only. Didn't feel like spending the money at the time, though. The demo's a lot of fun in the meanwhile (you get to play all three creatures).
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
capsized.

The first five minutes of the sequel are up. Mind you, the only reason I'm vaguely interested in this is that I've been an Alien fan all along. I think this crossover bullshit is a cheap way of cashing in on things that don't deserve to be treated as a cash cow. Liked Monolith's AvP vid game, though!

http://www.canmag.com/nw/9880-aliens...g-five-minutes

It's apparently heavily edited and recycles both from the Resurrection and Predator soundtrack (maybe it'll stay that way though?), but it looks like this film might at least have a little bit of what the first film lacked completely: Tempo and action. Anderson tried to go "go back to the roots™" and thought he had found some kind of cookie cutter formula of what made the first films of each franchise work, like: "A-HAH! It's got to be because they held back on the creatures for so long!" So he tried to paste&copy suspense, build-up (and oh my god: characters), and I've yet so see a movie of his that can do anything else than halfway decent live action sequences galore. AvP didn't have those either, quick cuts are no replacement for decent coreography.

First positive reactions to this and a prior trailer seem to come from the fact that "OMG there's real blood now!". AvP was a PG13.

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-13-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #16
A Slice of Fried Gold

Wow, I have no recollection of making this thread. But as much as I hated Alien vs. Predator (which as you can tell was a lot) I'm going to give the second one a chance, there's the smallest sliver of chance that they can actually pull it off and make a decent movie. It'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised by it.

The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Wow, I have no recollection of making this thread.
You were prolly fubar from too much cough syrup.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Boots View Post
AvP (game and movie) are both based on comics.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
capsized.

A vile, joyless, moronic, amateurish, numbing, unintentionally hilarious , and thorougly deseased motion picture... a middle-finger to the paying crowd. (Efilmcritic.com)

A perfect example of how studio stupidity and fanboy obsession can ruin cinema. (Filmcritic.com)

Despite what the harsher R-rating recommends, it's not really advisable that anyone OVER the age of 17 see this movie.
(Metromix.com)

We can only hope that the sub-title means that this money making farce is finally over.
(Shocktillyoudrop.com)

Oh the horror!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

What a surprise.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.