You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 AM   #61
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Firstly, seeing an American movie, it being Hollywood or not is not the first characteristic I notice, so maybe you're right - maybe this particular LA quarter attracts people with bad taste. I'll still say that I loved lots of American films I've seen, so as Once A Villain seemed to assume America=Hollywood, my point remains as well.

On a side note, what directors you consider to have furthered the thriller genre. Apart from obvious example of Hitchcock, I can come up with several names (Polanski, Welles, Lang...), but most of them would apply to singular movies, not a lifeful of works.
I don't think you can equate all American movies with Hollywood either. I'm just saying Shyamalan has now been consumed by that industry. Also, I'm not saying that people who watch Hollywood movies have bad taste. I'm just saying that there's not much of anything INNOVATIVE going on in Hollywood right now. People with good taste can still enjoy the films. There's just a recognition that a lot of the stuff isn't very interesting with respect to Hollywood spinning out lucrative blockbusters and crowd-pleasing, rehashed scripts, techniques, etc. It isn't utilizing the concept of film as art, which is where I believe film is most powerful.

I think you're right. There isn't another director that has a body of work like Hitchcock's completely in the suspense/thriller genre. Many directors have dabbled in the genre, making one or two brilliant films. I think the genre is indebted to film noir in a lot of ways, and the films that were made in the '40s like Laura, Double Indemnity, and the Third Man.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #62
The Impostor

Quote:
However, today there is just NOTHING original coming from Hollywood. Look at all the remakes!
Yes, but then Bollywood remakes Hollywood films shot-for-shot but with musical numbers – The Matrix, Spiderman etc.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 PM   #63
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
Yes, but then Bollywood remakes Hollywood films shot-for-shot but with musical numbers – The Matrix, Spiderman etc.
LOL. Yes that is indeed pretty weak. But for a country that makes MORE films than America (at least the last time I heard) it stands to reason they would have an even greater lack of fresh ideas. Both industries suffer from quantity over quality.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #64
Dungeon Master

To all who point out plenty of awful productions leaving Holywood studios these days: of course you're right. Yet, I still stand by my view that calling it the last place to find creativity is a bit of an overstatement.

Mitja: We'll have to agree to disagree, then, I guess. I find there is more than the ending to any of Shyamalan's plots (though, strangily enough, I agree that he is too conceited about them ).

Oh, and Villain, I like you too

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 02-01-2006 at 03:48 PM. Reason: the -> an
Old 04-27-2005, 01:08 PM   #65
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
I think you're right. There isn't another director that has a body of work like Hitchcock's completely in the suspense/thriller genre. Many directors have dabbled in the genre, making one or two brilliant films. I think the genre is indebted to film noir in a lot of ways, and the films that were made in the '40s like Laura, Double Indemnity, and the Third Man.
I love film noir and wish I had seen more of it. In fact, I believe I've never heard of Laura you mention.

PS. My question originally was meant to strengthen my argument, but for the life of me, I can't remember how... Whatever.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:19 PM   #66
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Oh, and Villain, I like you too

By the way, you should definitely see Laura. You can read up on it here if you're interested.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0037008/