You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Possession" Trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2004, 07:24 AM   #1
Schoolgirl From Hell

Default "Possession" Trailer

Ok... need help guys! I saw a trailer to this 2002 movie "Possession" starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Aaron Ekhart. The song which accompanied the trailer has been haunting my mind. Can someone please please please tell me the song title and the singer before I go crazy?

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 07-11-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Headbanger

I have no idea, but the song is absolutely great. The movie looked great too, I got to see it. If anyone knows anything more about the song then please contribute that information.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_...es/possession/
Old 07-11-2004, 04:40 PM   #3

From what I read on the IMDB forums, the song is "Mystic's Dream" by Loreena Mckennit.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLinda
From what I read on the IMDB forums, the song is "Mystic's Dream" by Loreena Mckennit.
Thanks a lot. I checked her webpage (http://www.quinlanroad.com) and she's really good. To bad that her music isn't in the movie at all apparently. I will still see the movie though to see if it's any good.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Thanks a lot. I checked her webpage (http://www.quinlanroad.com) and she's really good. To bad that her music isn't in the movie at all apparently. I will still see the movie though to see if it's any good.
That tends to be the way it goes. Chances are the song is in another movie.
Some great examples of songs from other movies used in trailers:

Big Fish: Uses the song "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands.
James and the Giant Peach: Uses the song "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas. (Actually, this song is used in a lot of trailers for children's movies.)
LOTR: The Two Towers: Uses the theme song to Requiem for a Dream.
Monster's Inc.: If I remember correctly, the trailer used "You've Got a Friend in Me," from Toy Story.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:49 AM   #6
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
That tends to be the way it goes. Chances are the song is in another movie.
Some great examples of songs from other movies used in trailers:

Big Fish: Uses the song "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands.
James and the Giant Peach: Uses the song "What's This?" from Nightmare Before Christmas. (Actually, this song is used in a lot of trailers for children's movies.)
LOTR: The Two Towers: Uses the theme song to Requiem for a Dream.
Monster's Inc.: If I remember correctly, the trailer used "You've Got a Friend in Me," from Toy Story.

You're absolutely right. They almost never use the real soundtrack in a trailer and sometimes I guess it's because the soundtrack isn't finished yet. They always take scores from other movies or they take some kind of pop-music which they think fits (like in this case). I think that the later often works out really badly and this case is a rare exception to that rule.

The funniest choice of music for a trailer I have seen was when I stumbled upon a trailer on the net for one of my favourite movies of all time, Ravenous. I love that movies soundtrack as well and on the DVD you have the trailer with the actual soundtrack. But I found the same trailer on the net only with different music. I laughed so much I thought I was going to die. Not only was it something I didn't really like but it was so incredibly wrong for that movie and it looked so ridiculous that you can only try and imagine what went on through the persons head who had put it there. I have never seen a trailer with funnier choice of music then that. If anybody can find it then please post a link here.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:28 AM   #7
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
You're absolutely right. They almost never use the real soundtrack in a trailer and sometimes I guess it's because the soundtrack isn't finished yet. They always take scores from other movies or they take some kind of pop-music which they think fits (like in this case). I think that the later often works out really badly and this case is a rare exception to that rule.
Ths is generally because the score of a movie is usually the last thing to be created, after all the film editing is done.

Oh, and whoever did the song "Walking on Sunshine" probably has enough money to wallpaper their mansion in $100 bills with all the royalties from studios using that song in every other trailer for a romantic comedy or pre-teen movie.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Schoolgirl From Hell

Thanks a lot guys!

And what about the trailer to that movie "Master and Commander"? I remembered watching the trailer in the cinema and to my shock, recognised the score which accompanied the trailer as the soundtrack to the "Children of Dune" miniseries which I think was excellent but unfortunate enough not to be able to find it in any local music store.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
comfortably numb

SoundtrackNet has a good database on trailer music (see Resources).