You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
Liver of Life

Default Cricket?

I was just wondering if there were any Cricket fans on these boards. I know there are a bunch of Englishmen here, so I'm wondering if any of you guys enjoy the game of cricket. If you're not an Englishman but still enjoy this sport, then you're still welcome to talk about it.

So, since I was wondering, I thought I'd ask.

So?

I, personally, love it! I've loved it always! The game rules like no other - to play, to watch, to hear about - incredible game!

After all, I do come from a cricket crazy country
Old 10-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
merely human

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Liver of Life

No, no, no.

Old 10-07-2003, 12:00 AM   #4
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

hehe yep I'm a Cricket fan(ish), I watch the some of the test matches when they're on TV and the World Cup. Sadly though, England And Wales aren't very good at the moment... *sigh* if only we could have another botham's ashes

Heres another picture:

For those who still have no idea; cricket playing nations include England (and wales), Scotland (crap), India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, West Indies, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Canada (very crap, infact I think they're just commie expats?) and lots of other former commonwealth countries. And Holland (oddly enough... is that because of William of Orange being king of england for a while?). Oh and New York apparently (http://www.nycricketregion.com/)
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 10-07-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Liver of Life

A lot of American states (California too) have their cricket club thingies mostly started off by nostalgic foreigners. Unfortunately, it's not too popular here because Americans have their own similar sport ala Baseball.

I wonder if we'll play in the next world cup...

Other than that, I'm mostly an India fan, and I'm rather happy with our performance this last world cup, although that final was excruciating to watch
Old 10-07-2003, 06:37 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Curt

Dom, are you old enough to remember the Botham ashes?

Kode, I used to be a huge cricket fan back in the 70's and 80's. Lost interest though in the mid-to-late 80's with the demise of English cricket. Plus, now I live in Germany there never seems to be any on TV. Can't think why.

Still, the Rugby World Cup begins on Friday. I could watch International Rugby Union all day. Thankfully there is a channel here bringing some coverage of that (including England vs South Africa live - WOOHOO!). Can't think why though as nobody seems very interested in Rugby in Germany.

Football! Football! Football! That's pretty much the gist of it here - good job I love Football too, eh? That's the proper football btw and not the wimpy US version (although judging by the way some of those footballers go down like a sack of spuds - potatoes - nowadays I'm not so sure who the bigger wimps are)
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

You are watching the Womens World Cup Curt I hope? The final between Germany and Sweden will be a great game!

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-07-2003, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
You are watching the Womens World Cup Curt I hope? The final between Germany and Sweden will be a great game!
I've only seen the odd goal, Rags. Haven't been following it as England weren't there. Besides, I'm only interested in the celebrations.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:49 AM   #9
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt
I've only seen the odd goal, Rags. Haven't been following it as England weren't there. Besides, I'm only interested in the celebrations.
And you claim to like football! Tut tut! Swedens womens team would beat the heck out of Aston Villa (but that may not say a lot).

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-07-2003, 06:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
And you claim to like football! Tut tut! Swedens womens team would beat the heck out of Aston Villa (but that may not say a lot).
Why does the thought of Swedens womens team beating the heck out of anything sound like such a wonderfully disturbi..................................... never mind.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:57 AM   #11

Sorry, Kode. You can have your thread back now.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:00 AM   #12
Liver of Life

Quote:
Sorry, Kode. You can have your thread back now.
LOL, thanks

And you're right, the fate of English cricket is rather regretable. Haven't had a good team in quite a while.

On the other hand, I, being an Indian fan can never lose interest cuz we always have a great team although it still is sad that I can't watch it here because they don't telecast it

Last edited by Zygomaticus; 10-07-2003 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #13
Whinging Pom

Quote:
Dom, are you old enough to remember the Botham ashes?
No but my History teacher said his grandfather saw one of the matchs...
Old 10-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
Liver of Life

Although I'm not old enough to remember the Botham ashes, I've heard a lot about it. And I hear Beefy was the real deal when it came to English cricketers
Old 10-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #15
Whinging Pom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
A lot of American states (California too) have their cricket club thingies mostly started off by nostalgic foreigners. Unfortunately, it's not too popular here because Americans have their own similar sport ala Baseball.
:O Heathen! How can a cricket fan say it's anything like baseball. The only similarities are that it takes ages to play, and that the rules make no sense.

Baseball is juts a glorified version of Rounders... Heres a typical Rounders match :
Old 10-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #16
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
:O Heathen! How can a cricket fan say it's anything like baseball. The only similarities are that it takes ages to play, and that the rules make no sense.

Baseball is juts a glorified version of Rounders... Heres a typical Rounders match:
Don't get me wrong. I meant, they think it's similar to Baseball! I don't think anything of the sort at all! If I did, I'd be playing Baseball today

Y'see, when a country like Namibia gets introduced to cricket, because they likely don't have popular sport of their own, they fall for cricket and the country starts to love it. All I meant is, that since the USA has popular sport of its own ala Baseball, Basketball and Football, games from outside are unlikely to take off.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:36 AM   #17

For those of you who like Cricket might enjoy the Bollywood movie "Lagaan".
Old 10-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #18
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
For those of you who like Cricket might enjoy the Bollywood movie "Lagaan".
Yeah! That's probably one of the better Indian movies I've watched
Old 10-07-2003, 05:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger

Baseball is juts a glorified version of Rounders... Heres a typical Rounders match :
ROFL!

but Dom for the history remark.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:36 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to feisar

uuuugh I hate cricket!!! its one of those horrid sports that clog up the TV, you cant get away from it! Everytime you settle down, switch on BBC2 and ARRGH!! instead of a nice red dwarf repeat or documentry on fossils its bloody cricket/snooker/bowls/whatever... and darts!!! ARGH darts is the worst of the bloody lot! My parents will sit for hours watching some fat old git past his sell by date miss all evening! speedway is the worst though! They go round in a circle. Nothing happens. No-one can overtake and the circle isnt even that big!

I used to love rounders at school though!! Stoolball and cricket were pretty fun too cause you could be a fielder, go and stand in a place where no-one is ever gonna hit it and not have to do anything.. well until someone does hit it and then you have half the school shouting at you for not concentrating and being crap at throwing!!