You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Best Roller Coasters in the World

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #1

Default Best Roller Coasters in the World

What's your favourite Steel Roller Coaster and Wooden Roller Coaster. My favourite Wooden Roller Coaster would be Ghost Rider at Knott's Berry Farm. I've been on a lot of cool steel coasters and Cyclone at Dreamworld would be okay if it wasn't so short. (The queue was about an hour and the ride went a good 15 seconds. ) Scream and The Goliath at Six Flags: Magic Mountain are good.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Liver of Life

Sadly, I haven't ridden too many great rollercoasters.

Probably the best I've ever been on was in Great America nearly nine years ago. And I actually cried before I went on the ride because it had a scary loop (I had never been on an up-side-down loop). But I enjoyed the hec out of it and went on it again and again.

Haven't been there since. Will go there on the 21st, though. It's all planned and set to go.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:57 PM   #3

Heh, you cried?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:27 PM   #4
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Heh, you cried?
I was 8. It was scary.

Besides, it was called "The Demon."

Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #5

I admit, I didn't like Roller Coasters for a long time. So I didn't go on them. I thought they'd be vomit inducing and scary. But they're awesome.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
merely human

Obstakle kourses?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Typo Queen

Hey, I cried on my first rollercoaster ride too. I wasn't expecting that fly-out-of-your-seat feeling. It was the Magnum at Cedar Point - hypercoaster. No way in heck you'll ever get me on the Millenium Force or Top Thrill Dragster.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
Hey, I cried on my first rollercoaster ride too. I wasn't expecting that fly-out-of-your-seat feeling. It was the Magnum at Cedar Point - hypercoaster. No way in heck you'll ever get me on the Millenium Force or Top Thrill Dragster.
Yeah, Cedar Point rules. You've got to try the Millenium Force. It's a blast.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #9

I want to go on a proper indoor roller coaster though. I've been on Eureka Mine Rides at Dreamworld, but it's sort of short and not really a proper roller coaster. (It's cool though. ) Space Mountain was closed and The Revenge of the Mummy was still in construction when I went to the U.S.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
Typo Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosferatu
You've got to try the Millenium Force. It's a blast.
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and nope.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #11

It can't be any worse then rides like the standing coaster 'Riddler's Revenge' at Six Flags: Magic Mountain. The only coaster that I wouldn't and didn't go on at Six Flags: Magic Mountain was the X or whatever it's called. The carriages spin as you fly around the track. Sounds vomit inducing.

Remember to post in this thread as well.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
Friendly Server Admin

Best Steel: Tie between Top Gun at Paramount's Great America and Medusa at Six Flags Marine World

Best Wood: Giant Dipper at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (Built in 47 days, 80 years ago come next Monday, and still awesome)
Old 05-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #13

http://themeparks.about.com/cs/universalparks/l/blmummy1.htm

Look at some of the elaborate theming in the new The Revenge of the Mummy roller coaster. Also those images of the track that you see in that black room is going to have mist around it and CGI ghosts projected onto it. Awesome. You can read more about the ride on that site.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

Btw, SerialFreak, I don't know where in .au you're from, but you might find this helpful if you're looking for an enclosed coaster:
http://www.rcdb.com/installationresu...C2%2C8%2C7%2C6

Looks like the only operating enclosed coasters in Australia are Wild Mouse designs. The last one was relocated to a Thai amusement park in 1994.

Also, info on all roller coasters in Australia:

http://www.rcdb.com/treeview.htm?con...63,65,66,68,69
Old 05-09-2004, 09:36 PM   #15

I haven't really ridden a lot of rollercoasters, but my favorites of those I have done is probably Nemesis in Alton Towers for steel and Grand National in Blackpool for wood. And Thundercoaster on a close second place of course.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Btw, SerialFreak, I don't know where in .au you're from, but you might find this helpful if you're looking for an enclosed coaster:
http://www.rcdb.com/installationresu...C2%2C8%2C7%2C6

Looks like the only operating enclosed coasters in Australia are Wild Mouse designs. The last one was relocated to a Thai amusement park in 1994.

Also, info on all roller coasters in Australia:

http://www.rcdb.com/treeview.htm?con...63,65,66,68,69
Thanks for the links. I'm located in Brisbane. Which is in the state of Queensland.

I've been on the Eureka Mine Ride and I know of The Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster (Which opened when the first movie was released), but I figured it was a kids ride. As for the Expo one, that finished a long long long long time ago. In fact I can't even remember World Expo Park. It's been redeveloped into South Bank. An inner city beach type place with lots of shops and touristy stuff.

I really want to go on an awesome indoor one. Eureka Mine Ride is pretty cool, but I doubt it's anything like Space Mountain or Revenge of the Mummy. If anything it's probably more comparable to the Matterhorn at Disneyland. They've just closed down a roller coaster at Dreamworld (A major theme park on the Gold Coast) called the Thunderbolt. They've talked about building new attractions there and I'm hoping that they'll put in a cool indoor roller coaster.

There use to be this tame roller coaster in the Myer Centre (A massive Brisbane shopping centre, in the middle of the city.) Maybe it's because I was a kid, but I remembered it being really scary. Probably because it was on the fifth or sixth floor of the shopping center and you could look down to the ground level. That's closed now. They've put in a massive cinema megaplex instead. There's a few rollercoasters in the theme parks around where I live, but they're mostly all similar. That's why my favourite Steel ones are all in American theme parks. They need to build a better variety of coasters. Six Flags: Magic Mountain probably has a larger variety of coasters then all the theme parks in Australia combined.

I'll stop rambling. Thanks again for the links.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 05-09-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #17
Typo Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
It can't be any worse then rides like...
That's what my adrenaline-junkie friend who put me on the Magnum as my first-ever rollercoaster ride said. Except he didn't compare it to a coaster because I hadn't been on one before.

I wouldn't ride the stand-up coaster nor the feet-dangling ones (Mantis and Raptor at Cedar Point) because I didn't want the insecure feeling (after Magnum I was a bit shaken up), and also I was terrified of being upside down, so I wouldn't go on any looping coasters. Until...

Year before last at the county fair, we had this big ride...oh, how can I explain it, I don't remember the name. You're in a circle with 16 seats, 4 on each side, which is hanging from a pendulum. It swings all the way up so you're basically upside down, but it doesn't go all the way around. Well, I had brought my then-8-year-old neighbor to the fair so I'd have someone to ride rides with. (I was 21 then, but I'd babysat her my entire life). She wanted to go on it so bad, so I sat there and watched it. My mom had come along and she was like, are you really sure you can ride that? And I was like yeah, it doesn't go all the way upside down. So we get on it (well not my mom), and the ride starts up and the floor drops away, and it starts swinging us. About 3 swings in, I look up and there, above my head, is the ground. I screamed "Oh S***!!!" at the top of my lungs....my poor little neighbor girl, LOL!! I was okay afterwards, just a little dizzy. So I think I'd be okay on an upside-down ride now, but I don't really want to go trying them out either.

I just read this review of Top Thrill Dragster and my heart was pounding so hard...I think I'd fall into a dead faint at the sight of it, LOL! (Especially at the point where they say the Millenium Force is way down below them!)

Last edited by RainbowLight; 05-10-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:15 PM   #18

Even though I had gone on like 5 or 6 coasters before I went on the Riddler's Revenge, I was worried about going on a standing coaster. The queue was huge and I kept on gulping. The worst part was going up the hill before the ride begins. That's always the worst part. The rest is awesome fun.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #19

Well guys, I think that Top Thrill Dragster is the best roller coaster in the world by far! . Going 420 feet in the air at a 120 mile an hour run up, it owns the track. The only downfalls, are that it's not always running, and you wait in like for 1 and a half hours, for a 16 second ride
Old 05-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
Liver of Life

Well, now that I've been there, I have to say, Top Gun is a pretty sweet ride. I rode it once in every set of seats (6 or 7 of them, I think) and it was awesome. Obviously the front was, by far, the best.