You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Imagination and Romance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Space Cadet

Default Imagination and Romance

Imagination and a sense of romance for me are the two prerequisites for enjoying adventure gaming at anything other than a very superficial level, both where developed in me as a young adolescent by my passion for and love of music, I bought my first guitar at fourteen man was it cheap and nasty but it got me started.

My listening taste in music covers a wide and varied slice of the spectrum, but if playing music it will invariably be blues rock as in messrs Green, Moore and Clapton, sadly one is no longer with us,

Which started me wondering how many adventure gamers are also musicians?

So WHO are you, WHAT instrument do play, and what is your bag.

My favourite weapon of choice is a PRS se 24 custom.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Game Creator Hobbyist

Hi Harleyhog! Nice to meet you. (I don't think we've met. I'm an irregular on this forum.)

WHO am I? That's not an easy question to answer, but I'll answer the part of it that seems relevant to this thread. I'm a teacher of wind instruments.

WHAT instruments do I play? That depends of your definition of playing. I teach bassoon, trumpet, horn, trombone, tuba, oboe, saxophones and clarinet. I also regularly make use of a cajón at work (I'm not a great percussionist, but I try to improve), and a bit of piano. I also own some tin whistles, a bodhran, a frog guiro, a cornetto and a zendrum.

My BAG? Lots. I like baroque music, various kinds of jazz, world, gospel… At Last.fm you can see some of what I've been listening to lately. Put simply, I love music.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhog View Post
My listening taste in music covers a wide and varied slice of the spectrum, but if playing music it will invariably be blues rock as in messrs Green, Moore and Clapton, sadly one is no longer with us,
How do you feel about Stevie Ray Vaughan? Imo the greatest guitar player of all time...

Unfortunately, I'm completely atonal. I can't sing (seriously, if I did, neighbours would be calling PETA thinking we're abusing our cats) and I can't play ANY instrument at all.
Which is a shame, because I'm in awe of people who can...

Edit: ...like Trumgottist, for instance.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Space Cadet

How do you feel about Stevie Ray Vaughan?

The guy was a brilliant and innovative blues guitarist, and I have most of his stuff
Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Space Cadet

Hi Trumgottist

Saxophone and Clarinet,where would some of the worlds greatest jazz tracks be without these two instruments? Kenny G's Songbird was a masterpiece up there with Peter Greens Albatross.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Hello there Harley,

Well, I wouldn't say I'm a musician, or even that I can play, but I do enjoy making noises on my guitar, and some other people seem to enjoy it too.

What's my bag? Well, percentage wise I guess it would be metal? Which would account for 20-25% of what I listen to? A very close second is baroque, classical and romantic music, then pop, and a bunch of other stuff.

Been raping people's ears for 17 years now!! I never learn!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Failed Birthday Elf

Who: Well, musically speaking I have been around music all my life in choirs, bands, orchestras, studying at university and otherwise. I am currently Director of Music (for want of a more modest title!) at the church I go to and do some general band/other stuff elsewhere as time allows.

Otherwise I seem to spend most of my time here as some sort of unofficial ambassador from Kuvaton.com to AG!

What: Piano, sing, drums (mainly) and bits of bass and other things which i'm not so good at!

Bag: Many and varied from "classical" to indie, electro, metal, dance and, well, anything that's not mainstream mostly!

Weapons of choice: I have a Roland TDK9 Vdrum kit (and a knackered old acoustic kit) and a Phantom G8 workstation, neither of which I have room for at home at the moment (owing largely to becoming a Dad fairly recently and living in a flat) which is driving me mad!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Lazy Bee

Quote:
So WHO are you, WHAT instrument do play, and what is your bag.
Hi Harleyhog and welcome to the forums!
I'm Jelena, I'm a pianist since I was a wee lass. Today I'm 47 and don't play much any more. I used to be a member of a sweet adelaine (barbershop) chorus for five years, but had to quit due to time management issues.

I like all kinds of music from rock to classic music. Two of my most profound music experiences is:
1. the Queen concert in Stockholm in 1977 (I think *scratches head*) when the album News of the World was released.
2. Thin Lizzy, also in Stockholm in 1979. A gig that's considered one of the best they've done, ever. At least that's what I've heard.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Space Cadet

@marvio Been raping people's ears for 17 years now.

Hey Dude there is no such thing as a bad musician, only a misunderstood one........
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
@marvio Been raping people's ears for 17 years now.

Hey Dude there is no such thing as a bad musician, only a misunderstood one........
That's what I keep telling myself!!

If you want to check it out: http://soundcloud.com/silencio-boston
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Space Cadet

If you want to check it out

Cool Tracks.....Keep on Truckin my man
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Life and times of...

I've played the guitar since a kid. Classical, mainly. Though eventually around 16 I was kicked out of the music school because I couldn't finish music theory So since then I've been sort of on my own there.

I still mainly play more classical-oriented acoustic stuff by myself, but I've been using my electric guitar as well for a while now with a friend in our "band"

Wish I could play (and had) the cello... And saxophone... But especially cello

As for what types of music I like, well it's everything from jazz to rap to classical to flamenco and whatever. Ottmar Liebert is probably my most listened artist (and if I had to name one, I'd say he's my favorite), but there's not really a category that suits his music, much like most of the music that I listen to. Instrumental, usually, maybe a tendency towards acoustic, melodic, stuff like that.

Wish he'd come perform here (but tends to only go to Germany when in Europe). And since that was a cool list that Jelena did, I would say that the most profound music experience for me was seeing David Murray in my home town in 2007, quite a small concert room and a simply mind-blowing experience. I much prefer a more intimate setting than a huge gig, it's just better in every way.

Last edited by UPtimist; 02-29-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #13
The Quiet One

I can't say I'm a musician either, but I do play guitar (albeit average) as a hobby in my bedroom.

I'm quite passionate about rock and heavy metal music, which is what convinced me to learn guitar in the first place. I'm mainly a fan of the old skool stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

My axe is a Sunburst Epiphone Les Paul that I won on eBay at the end of last year. It's certainly quite a leap from my old cheap £60 Strat that I've had for 2-3 years. Yep, my Les Paul has spoiled me...

I've also been thinking of taking up the bass guitar too. I'll probably get one when I have sufficient funds for something decent...

And even though I can't say I'm a 'fan', I do like jazz and classical as well. I only seem to listen to those genres in soundtracks though. But I certainly find classical/instrumental very soothing and relaxing to listen to...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'm Hammy!

I've been making music since my mid-teens... though I'm not particularly skilled at any instrument - I play guitar in an amateurish fashion, and make experimentally minded lo-fi electronica-tinged music in my bedroom.

My bag is very varied -- I don't like to restrict my tastes to specific areas (and with the Internet, you really don't have to!), but I mostly like music, film, games, and literature that are at least in some way forward-thinking and interesting to me.
To put it vaguely.