You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat An intro thread and an interest check

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #1

Default An intro thread and an interest check

Howdy! I'm a long-time adventure gamer who, under a different pseudonym, wrote an amateur adventure about a decade ago. I love games that surprise me and move me, puzzles, and biology.

I recently started a forum adventure game - something in between a short story, a fanfiction, and a collection of riddles and puzzles - on a puzzle/riddle-oriented site, ran it for about twenty pages to the end of the first chapter, and then watched in dismay as that forum crashed. I've been having trouble finding another place to run it where people are likely to actually enjoy this puzzlefest, and thought that this would be a good place to try it.

(I'd try dedicated roleplaying forums, but they all seem too far on the "story" side of "puzzles versus story balance" for this game. It's not really a roleplay, for the most part, even if elements of roleplaying eventually appear.)

So I'll just hang out here until I rack up enough posts to PM a mod and get permission (or not) to start up a thread, possibly sending a sample post for approval. The prologue and first chapter have been played successfully by a lot of people, so I think I can run it with confidence if allowed to.

If anybody's interested in taking a shot at a crazy inheritance challenge mystery with elements of unreliable narration, I'd love to hear!

In the meantime.... holy cow, Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer and enough money to make an old-school adventure game. Wow. Wow.

Last edited by WitchOfDoubt; 02-10-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Filmfreak

This sounds very intriguing, and I'd like to learn more...
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Freeware Co-ordinator

Something similar has been attempted before so, as long as there isn't anything about the forum game that breaches the forum rules I can't see any problem in running it here. Intrigue enough peole and it could work well.

What was the game you wrote about a decade ago under another name and is it available anywhere still?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

stepurhan: Oh! It was called The Evil Sorcerers' Party and was made for an ASCII-based game platform called ZZT. You'd need both Dosbox and the ZZT.exe player to run it, and it's pretty dated, but it's available here, along with a review by an editor of the site.

There are some action sequences, but I include options to skip them or make them easier, and there's a 'Fate of Atlantis'-inspired branching in the final chapter where the player can choose between an action finale and a puzzle-driven finale. Thanks for asking!

Anyway, it's kind of embarrassingly dated, seeing as I wrote it in high school...