You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Default Age of site

I have been out of the adventure scene for many years, though used to really enjoy playing adventures. Starting from text ones on old 8 bit machines upto the FMV ones at the end of the 90's. The original Broken Sword & Gabriel Knight 2 particular favourites.

I used to frequent usenet a lot & some adventure sites, & I thought one of them was Adventure Gamers, though it seems to have only started up in mid 2003, & the old forum posts don't go back any further. The question is was this site older than 2003 & if so is there an archive of old posts, reviews, news etc from this period.

It could be I am not looking properly, but I can find no details of it being older.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Game Creator Hobbyist

The site is older - I think I remember a forum reboot.

And after a quick look at the main site I bring you the history of Adventure Gamers.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

Yes, I remember first joining in 1998, and having to rejoin again in 2003.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkman View Post
I used to frequent usenet a lot
Do I know you from csipga? (I posted there as Trumgottist or using my real name: Rikard Peterson.)
Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
The site is older - I think I remember a forum reboot.

And after a quick look at the main site I bring you the history of Adventure Gamers.
Thank you. Obviously you have a better sense of direction than me. Cannot seem to see any old archives of posts, but interesting all the same.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Do I know you from csipga? (I posted there as Trumgottist or using my real name: Rikard Peterson.)
Yes I do remember you from there. I used to go under the name of Young Steve, which is not to surprisngly my name twisted around. I think the site started getting full of posts for action type adventures (which I had no real interest in) and I got bored of what was coming out at this time. Looking at the top 100 games list that has come out, seems to suggest this period was a bit barren in quality adventures.

I notice that the shops are now full of these hunt the object type adventures, which I am not really interested in, even though I like puzzles. A lot of the adventures mentioned don't seem to be available through the shops. Do you buy yours online or over the counter.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
tsa
Playing character

I always buy my AGs online. There are some adventures to be found in shops in my country (the Netherlands) but only the very popular ones like Syberia, Dreamfall and Myst. So I look around online to find out where the adventures I want are the cheapest and I buy them there.

Welcome to the forums Zorkman.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Game Creator Hobbyist

I can only remember one game that I have bought in a local shop. (Two if you count non-adventure games.) And now that many games are sold digitally, I expect that to continue to be true.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
I can only remember one game that I have bought in a local shop. (Two if you count non-adventure games.) And now that many games are sold digitally, I expect that to continue to be true.
I think I may do that as well in the future.

Thanks for the link to the history of the site. Not sure how I missed it. I did reply earlier but for some reason the post never came through.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Welcome to the forums Zorkman.
Thank you.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Yeah, the forum was restarted in 2003 (I'm user ID 2 and my reg date is 9/7/2003). I forget the exact circumstances behind the reboot, unfortunately. I don't think it was the adventuregamer->adventuregamers transition because that would have been earlier. Anyway... the site definitely dates back earlier, but the current forums only date back to late 2003.