You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Dual-Core/Quad-Core Processor Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Dual-Core/Quad-Core Processor Help

I'm currently thinking about getting a new processor for my computer as my current one is holding me back; I have an AMD Athlon LE-1660, 2.8GHz. I'm thinking of jumping onto the Dual-Core or Quad-Core bandwagon... I've never actually gone out and bought a new processor before and had it installed, so I'm a little unsure what procedures I need to do or what I need to take into account etc.

I have read somewhere that it's not necessary to upgrade the motherboard when getting one. Is this true? I hope so, because if getting a new motherboard comes into it, I may have to scrap the idea - the cost of a new motherboard, CPU and the price of having it installed would probably cost me the same price as a new machine!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what motherboard I have. I've looked on Everest but that doesn't know either. Any idea where or what I can use to find out?

I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=athlon+ii+260&gs_upl=663l4895l1l58 81l3l3l0l0l0l0l207l417l1.1.1l3l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc. r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1360&bih=589&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6402215780695362455&sa=X&ei=ceG_Tte IMM2F8gOV29WuBA&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQ8wIwAQ

Any ideas or suggestions?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Psychonaut

It all depends on your motherboard. motherboards only support a certain range of chips.

I usually recommend a new motherboard with a new processor so that the new board takes full use of the speed of the new chip.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
The Quiet One

Okay, I've done a bit of research and I don't think I can have a Dual or Quad-Core.

Looking on Sandra SiSoftware, it says next to 'Multi-Processor (MP) Support': No. Also, from what I gather, the make of motherboard is in the BIOS' Serial Number. Sandra says it's '..CN7360497600DC', but I've no idea what that is. However, according to CPU-Z, it says the model is 0F896N and the chipset is AMD from Dell.

Hypothetically, if I did get a new motherboard that supports a Dual/Quad-Core Processor, which would you (or anyone else for that matter) recommend for someone on a budget? Would there be anything else I'd need to know?

I have seen this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-X2-250-3-0GHz-8GB-DDR3-RAM-ASUS-M5A78L-M-LX-Motherboard-Bundle-A49-/180740549250?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item2a14 f9ea82

Thanks for the response!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 11-13-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Game Creator Hobbyist

I'm no hardware expert, but when you're doing an upgrade that big, I think you should consider upgrading the whole thing. It could be cheaper (depending on what price class you're aiming at).

Keep in mind that when getting a new motherboard, you're likely to need new RAM as well.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I'm no hardware expert, but when you're doing an upgrade that big, I think you should consider upgrading the whole thing. It could be cheaper (depending on what price class you're aiming at).

Keep in mind that when getting a new motherboard, you're likely to need new RAM as well.
Yeah, it's something I'm going to have to forget I'm afraid. I phoned my local computer shop and asked the guy if there was anything else I needed to know about upgrading them. He informed me that because my machine was from Dell, I'd most likely have to get another case as mine wouldn't be big enough to hold the motherboard. The price of all 3 components and getting the guy to put them in - not to mention more RAM etc. - would cost the same as a new machine; not worth it.

Ah well... At least I know. I'll have to look into a decent gaming rig a few more years down the line; preferably something that's custom built and not from a shop!